Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Proposal for a Europe SME Server conference

guest22

« on: January 30, 2007, 11:54:19 PM »
Paul, all,

thanks for this great initiative! Unfortunately I'm unable to attend, which I would LOVE to. It would be great to meet you all in person after talking to most of you for 4 years on-line.

If you guys feel this meeting is a success, then I vote for a follow up meeting in EUROPE! Paris seems to be the favorite place for these kind of meetings ;-)

Have fun and enjoy.

Thanks,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 12:11:44 AM »
Quote from: "guest22"

If you guys feel this meeting is a success, then I vote for a follow up meeting in EUROPE! Paris seems to be the favorite place for these kind of meetings ;-)

A great idea. We'd need sponsors, of course, in order to put that together, and we'd need a host.

guest22

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:21:20 AM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
A great idea. We'd need sponsors, of course, in order to put that together, and we'd need a host.

Sure, fair enough.

So here's a call to all in Europe. If you can contribute, donate or host such a European conference, please add to this post with your thoughts please.

Meanwhile I think the organizers will present a appropriate portfolio of offerings for those who contribute.

Keep in mind all, this is all 'hobby' but many of us use SME Server for 'real', whether private, commercial or non-profit. So this is your chance to show 'our' gratitude.

Any universities, corps, SME's out there willing to pitch in please?

If you want to react in private I guess staff@contribs.org is a way to start ;-)

Thanks in advance for all considerations!

Merci, Bedankt, Thanks, Garzzi, Gracias, Danke!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:26:29 AM »

So here's a call to all in Europe. If you can contribute, donate or host such a European conference, please add to this post with your thoughts please.

Please postpone that, and please start a new thread to organise it. First priority is to get the SLC conference/workshop happening.

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:26:59 AM »

Sure, fair enough.

Please don't.  This topic is for the Salt Lake City Conference.  Please start a new topic for each additional conference or proposal.
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

guest22

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:34:49 AM »
Quote from: "pfloor"
Please don't.  This topic is for the Salt Lake City Conference.  Please start a new topic for each additional conference or proposal.

Are you sure Paul? I mean,  am I mistaking that the main goal is a 'conference' and meet each other? I think a central coordination of conferences by SME Server INC is way better then multiple posts about initiatives scattered all over the place.

A bit of mind sharing amongst the almost 5000 registered users all around the globe on this topic can't hurt I hope.

guest22

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »

A bit of mind sharing amongst the almost 5000 registered users all around the globe on this topic can't hurt I hope.

@ All, let's give the crew some space and let them mature things a bit.

As advised, please let the first conference happen and learn from it before we organize new onces.

But please, do share your thoughts!

Thanks,

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »

Yep, I also think it's a great idea, but it will probably require a lot more organisation and expense than the SLC conference.

For the record, my employer is paying for my travel between Australia and the U.S. as I am travelling for work. We're having the conference in Salt Lake City as Shad and Paul are already there and it was fairly close to where I was already heading. It's on a weekend as it is a personal side trip.

If Charlie, Shad and I are to attend the European conference there would be a sizable bill for airfares, and we would each need to be able to schedule the time. Travelling to Paris for the weekend isn't feasible from here :-)

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 04:06:59 AM »
For the record, my employer is paying for my travel between Australia and the U.S. as I am travelling for work. We're having the conference in Salt Lake City as Shad and Paul are already there...

It will be great to have you there Gordon.  I hope the northern Utah winter treats you well during your stay ;-)

Craig Jensen (90 mi north of SLC)

Offline NickCritten

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
Not being a developer (More of a casual hacker) of SME it wouldn't be appropriate for me to attend myself, but there are dozens of People in the UK and Europe that do great work in SME, who will miss out on the US trip due to costs of flights etc.

I for one would definitely welcome a European Workshop and any advances to SME that would arise from it.

If it ends up being anywhere near Cardiff, I've 4 Spare Bedrooms & I'll quite happily put a few people up for the duration (I make Wicked Full English Breakfasts too)  :D

I really hope that this goes ahead <fingers crossed>

P.S. I Just made a small Donation - Hope it helps
Nick

"No good deed goes unpunished." :-x...

guest22

What is needed to hold a conference
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:59:34 PM »
Hi,

In trying to get more realistic insight in the costs of holding a conference in general, a list of 'things' to think of would be nice.

Please add any issues/matters/items you can think off, including it's value:
(Conference room, Hotel charges, Taxi fairs, Airline tickets etc)

LIST OF ITEMS TO THINK OFF:
-------

Offline NickCritten

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »
I think the first thing you need to do is get anyone interested in going to vote on where they'd like it to be, as costs will vary wildly from country to country.

You'd have to stick to big cities in order to allow for easy / cheap flights and to remain easily accessible by Rail & Road.

London would be ridiculously expensive, but Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff or Leeds would all be reasonable.
Paris, again is very expensive, but there's places outside of Paris that would be reasonable.

Somewhere like Prague would be good cos its nice and cheap there (<£1 a pint tee hee) and it's fairly central in Europe.
Amsterdam would also be good (again very easy to get to, plus lots of fun in the evenings)

Once you've decided on a City to go to, you can easily figure out all the other stuff, such as Hotels, Venue, transfers etc etc.

Just my 2 Penneth :-)

If it's in Amsterdam, I may just take a long weekend myself, just to come over and buy the Developers a thank you drink, after you've all done your Guru thing at the venue ;-)
Nick

Offline ntblade

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi all,
I'm in the UK and I'd love to meet other SME users and the developers.  I'd be willing to travel to most places in Europe so I guess this post is just to add my support.

N

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
Quote from: "NickCritten"

If it's in Amsterdam,...

New Amsterdam I might be able to do. And Gordon will be passing through there is a couple of weeks. I guess he could also manage Cardiff in New South Wales. As could I when I next go to visit my Mum. :-)

Offline NickCritten

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »
Quote from: "NickCritten"

If it's in Amsterdam,...

New Amsterdam I might be able to do. And Gordon will be passing through there is a couple of weeks. I guess he could also manage Cardiff in New South Wales. As could I when I next go to visit my Mum. :-)

Heh, I was Referring to Cardiff in 'Old' South Wales

LOL
Nick