Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Announce] smeserver-wordpress

drfresh

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 11:42:47 AM »
YES! But can I point to that anyway in the way I want?

Offline skydivers

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Quote from: "drfresh"

Never did it myself but here:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=35553.0

there are some solutions from william_syd (its for joomla, but same for wordpress)

Try to create a new domain (eg blog.mysite.com, should normally work) which points to an ibay, let's say wordpressibay and then try to do what william_syd said in that topic.

Good luck!

drfresh

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »
Thanks! Will try that.

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »
Did you have any luck? I want to do something similar.

I have read the domain section in the manual, but I still don't get it... For hosting another website on the server, what is the point of adding a domain in server-manager if you have to change your DNS records w/ your ISP anyway? For example why would I add the domain blog.mysite.com to server manager, point it to an ibay named blog, and then go to GoDaddy and add a subdomain with the same name. To me it seems easier to go to GoDaddy and create a subdomain called blog.mysite.com and point it to myspot.com/blog. I am guessing there is a reason, but I don't get it... I can see if you were wanting to get email from a different domain name, that you would want to do something like this though...

Also I added a vote to bug 2460 to add the option to point a domain to a location other than an ibay (like /opt/...). That seems like it would be a better solution than to point to an almost empty ibay. I haven't had time to play with redirection yet, but I don't want my users to navigate to www.mysite.com and be redirected to www.mysite.com/blog if the /blog shows up in the address.
Thanks,
Ryan

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 11:05:22 PM »
Quote from: "skydivers"

there are some solutions from william_syd (its for joomla, but same for wordpress)
I followed the symlink instructions instead of creating an extra ibay (kind of anal I know... I just didn't want to see another one...). The steps worked great for me. And I was very presently surprised to see that the url in the browser just shows www.mysite.com not www.mysite.com/wordpress like I thought it would...

Thanks snoble for the contrib and thanks william_syd for the symlink advice. Now to look into why permalinks aren't working right.:)
Ryan

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »
Is there any way to change the name of the directory this is installed in? I would prefer something like /opt/home. Even though the tips supplied by william_syd allow wordpress to show as my main page, when you navigate through the site, the url will change to mysite.com/wordpress. I would rather it didn't do that at all, but if it has too I would rather see something like mysite.com/home. I tried
Code: [Select]
config setprop wordpress domain home.mysite.com and setting a hostname in server-manager for home as well, but that doesn't work either, at least not over the internet. I might be able to try locally later...

Any tips?
Ryan

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
OK, here is what I have found so far. Following the steps laid out by william_syd to use symlinks to the Primary ibay should be done before you launch your WP page. Then when you go to mysite.com your WP setup page is there and you will not see the /wordpress at the end of your url. (This is mentioned by snoble in his howto b-t-w, but I didn't understand that it applied if you were using symlinks to your primary ibay...) If you have already launched the site, I think that you can go into the admin section and go to options and change both urls to be http://www.mysite.com, I haven't tried that, but I think it will work.

Now I installed SimpleMachinesForum to /opt/wordpress/forum and it runs fine, but when I try to install a bridge between the two products I get the following error
Warning: main(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(smf_api_1.1.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/opt/wordpress/:/tmp) in /opt/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/WP_SMF/wp_smf.php on line 385

Fatal error: Can't load smf_api_1.1.php, open_basedir restriction. in /opt/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/WP_SMF/wp_smf.php on line 385
smf_api_1.1.php and wp_smf.php are in the same directory (/opt/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/WP_SMF). I just don't know exactly what to do from here. Is this because I am using symlinks to Primary? If so would modifying
db accounts setprop Primary PHPBaseDir /opt/wordpress/:/tmp do me any good? If I understand correctly that lets the Primary ibay have access to /opt/wordpress and /tmp? Do I have to give it access to /opt/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/WP_SMF?

The php files for the bridge can be downloaded from here if you want to look at the code...

Thanks, I appreciate any insight you might have.
Ryan

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »
I can get the page to display if I do this
db accounts setprop Primary PHPBaseDir noneCan someone tell me what the security ramifications of this would be? Is this letting the script have access to my entire system?
I have tried setting the PHPBaseDir to /opt, /opt/wordpress/forum, /opt/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/WP_SMF and none have worked. Doesn't make sense to me, it looks to me like the file is located in an allowed path already...
Ryan

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 04:17:45 PM »
Quote from: "skydivers"

Try to create a new domain (eg blog.mysite.com, should normally work) which points to an ibay, let's say wordpressibay and then try to do what william_syd said in that topic.

Good luck!

That was just me rambling on.

Search the wiki for wordpress. Snoble has made it very easy to use any domain or url. It's built into the rpm. READ the wiki.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 09:44:12 PM »
Quote from: "william_syd"
Search the wiki for wordpress. Snoble has made it very easy to use any domain or url. It's built into the rpm. READ the wiki.
Well if you are referring to this section of the wiki
   *  To add a different URL eg. yourserver.net/wordpress

note, this adds another url, it doesn't remove the default

config setprop wordpress URL blog

* To run wordpress from the root of a domain eg.

wordpress.yourserver.net or
domain2.org

config setprop wordpress domain wordpress.yourserver.org OR
config setprop wordpress domain domain2.org

In /server-manager Hostnames and Addressess setup eg. wordpress as a hostname on one of you domains or
in Domains setup a new domain eg. domain2.org, wordpress will overrule the panel setting
then I guess my skull is too think to understand how to set it up so that the WP page loads as my main page (i.e. www.mysite.com). I understand that I can change from mysite.com/worpress to mysite.com/blog or something similar. And I understand that I can change to something like wordpress.mysite.com (although I have never gotten that to work right... :? ). And I don't understand the last step of creating a new domain at all. Maybe that will somehow let me access the WP site at mysite.com or maybe I have to buy another domain and Wp will show at mysite2.com... I just don't understand :?

No matter though, the symlink solution is working great for me and I am happy with it. You might have been rambling on, but I like it.

As far as the PHPBaseDir issue goes, forget about it. I mentioned it to the fine person that wrote the WordPress to Simple Machines Forum bridge and they modified the code for those of us that run servers that aren't so wide open. It is working great. I didn't expect anyone here to have a specific answer about that plugin, I just thought that those familiar with the WP contrib could suggest something that I don't know to look for.
Ryan

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 02:15:22 AM »
> (although I have never gotten that to work right...

then it's a bug in the rpm or the documentation needs to be clearer

NB.
wordpress.foo.com needs you to setup your dns correctly