Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Bounty To Replace The Common Creative Portion Of OX.

york

« on: January 11, 2007, 03:12:47 AM »
Good Day Everyone,

I would like to explore the possibility of issuing a bounty to replace the CC part of OX (called The Web Pack, I believe).

Ideally all I have to do is simply install this newly created RPM on top of (or along side with) Vincent's OX package on SME 6.01 or 7 and get it over and done with - without having to worry about the CC license once and for all.

Anyone interested please contact me at: y o r k at 9 6 7 5 dot c a

Thank you very much.

Regards,

/YC:yc

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Bounty To Replace The Common Creative Portion Of OX.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:08:12 AM »
Quote from: "york"

I would like to explore the possibility of issuing a bounty to replace the CC part of OX (called The Web Pack, I believe).

You'll need to have a full detailed functional specification for someone to be able to do a cleanroom re-implementation. Copyright law probably prevents anyone from legally using the existing implementation as a reference to implement something which is very similar.

If you think that OX is a great thing which you want to sell to your customers, why not help to pay for its continued development by buying a commercial license?

york

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Hello Charlie,

> If you think that OX is a great thing which you want to
> sell to your customers, why not help to pay for its
> continued development by buying a commercial license?

No, you get it all wrong:

(i) I don't think OX can completely replace our existing Exchange server so it's not all that "great";

(ii) We have no intension to sell OX to anyone - you need written authorization from OX (even the GPL portion, I think).

(iii) If I am to convince our management to switch to GPL then it better be "no string attached", even that means to cost the company a small amount of money to make it happen.

Therefore the finally analysis is: if we have to pay for the same licensing as Exchange then we are better off stick with E2K3 because it is THE groupware (usability and function-wise).

Anyway thanks for the info.  I guess OX is off my list for good then.

Regards,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »

(iii) If I am to convince our management to switch to GPL then it better be "no string attached", even that means to cost the company a small amount of money to make it happen.

GPL comes with "strings attached" - the GPL license conditions. I'm curious as to what your concerns are with the CC license.

york

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »
Hello Charlie,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that if I need to change certain OX functionality say, how recurring appointments are handled, just as an example, I can just go over the source and make changes as I see fit, because the server is under GPL?

However if I don't like certain part of the web interface on OX, under CC I can't change the icon or the UI design or anything that is under the CC license unless I have written permission from OX, correct?

Again I could be wrong but if the above is correct that the two "strings" are very different.  Is my interruption of GPL vs CC correct?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »

However if I don't like certain part of the web interface on OX, under CC I can't change the icon or the UI design or anything that is under the CC license unless I have written permission from OX, correct?

I don't know. If you want to understand a license, you should read it carefully, perhaps with the help of a lawyer.

My opinion (I am not a lawyer) is that you have misinterpreted the license. Start your reading here:

http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/legal/ccfaq.html

Note that the license applies in any case only to redistribution. once you have obtained the software legally, AIUI copyright law cannot restrict what you can do with the software for your own use, including modifying it.

http://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html

york

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »
Hello Charlie,

> I don't know. If you want to understand a license, you should
> read it carefully, perhaps with the help of a lawyer.

Yes, I guess this is what I will do since I can do it rather easily though I had been trying not to "pull these strings" - especially family members from my wife's side.  ;-)

Thank you very much.

Cheers,