Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cups Install and Printer drivers

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:41 PM »
I have successfully loaded the cups software.

Seemed to go OK.

I have a number of Network printers that I want to print to.

One for example is a cannon 3220 and 3200. I have found linux drivers on the cannon site for it. In fact it says that they are for cups.

Do I just expand the rpms and then they will be found in the cups list of printers ??
The drivers are in nsdiunix312r311.zip and pslinuxv130.zip the pslinuxv130 are mostly rpms while the other file are html files.

I dont know much about cups or how to go on. Although I have installed it up to this point flawlessly. I did configure it to print to the network printer with what it came with but of course I dont have the right drivers so when I chose something, it prints (Yay) but prints gobledy goop. So I have it all set up right just either the drivers or some other setting wrong. Im asuming its the drivers I dont have.

Regards.

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »
Steve,

I advice you to follow Robert's HowTo about CUPS.
You can find it here:
http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs//rvandenaker/
It's all there RPM's and HowTo's

Freek

rjohnson244

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:48:17 AM »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in the middle of this?
I have been trying to install CUPS, using the "How To" and RPM's in the link that EdelingF provided, but when I run "rpm -Uvh *.rpm I get  error: Failed Dependencies: with a list of required dependencies

Then "Suggested Resolutions:" with locations on the local system that don't exist.

It is my first time using SME Server and I like it very much, but why isn't CUPS included
in the install?

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »
Quote from: "rjohnson244"

It is my first time using SME Server and I like it very much, but why isn't CUPS included
in the install?

If your just installing SME, why not SME 7 ?
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in the middle of this?
I have been trying to install CUPS, using the "How To" and RPM's in the link that EdelingF provided, but when I run "rpm -Uvh *.rpm I get  error: Failed Dependencies: with a list of required dependencies

Then "Suggested Resolutions:" with locations on the local system that don't exist.

in the install?
I suggest using yum localinstall instead of the rpm -Uvh. The benefit of yum over rpm is that it resolves, downloads and installes it's dependencies it self to a certain extent.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

rjohnson244

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
I should have been more precise. I have installed SME 7.0.
I did try yum localinstall, it failed also.
I changed a few items in yum.conf  (enabled=1 and enablegroups=1)and was able to install cups, foomatic, ghostscript, gimp-print, urw-fonts, hpijs, and cups. I then ran signal-event post-upgrade and signal-event reboot. I still can't use or find my printer. Is there something else that I need to do to activate cups?

I have done this before with Clark Connect and IPCop, so I "think" I have some idea of what to do. I am not even close, though, to being an expert, as you may have already deduced.
I really do appreciate the suggestions and the help.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »

This is the SME 6 category, so SME 7 users may not be dropping in.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:50:24 PM »
Quote from: "william_syd"

This is the SME 6 category, so SME 7 users may not be dropping in.
... with SME 7 problems, they can however suggest SME 6 solutions. :-D
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

rjohnson244

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
Yes, I realize that this is SME 6.x section, but I did an "ALL" search and have scanned many, many posts and this one was the only one close to my problem. I will post my problem in the SME 7.0 section, if that is alright with the moderators.

Thanks for the suggestions, Il'll keep working on it.