Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

copy mail to new folder

alaskamatt

copy mail to new folder
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:49:41 AM »
I have an email archive folder with several GB of email messages in it.  Since webmail hangs when trying to load this, I thought I could try to manually sort and move gobs of messages into folders.  Operating on a test account with just a couple of messages to ensure I had a good process, I noted that while I can create a new set of folders and manually copy the messages, nothing appears in webmail. My guess is that it's because of the dovecot-uidlist file not being populated.  Have I missed something simple? I'm open to ideas or alternative methods.

Thanks for your help.
Matt

27 users, 8 SME Servers.  And we're just a bunch of accountants.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
copy mail to new folder
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:18:52 AM »
Are the permissions/ownership of the copied over files correct?
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

alaskamatt

copied emails
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »
Yes, the permissions have been set appropriately.  When I migrated between servers earlier this summer, I had no problems transferring messages between user accounts... but in that case, the folders were being copied directly.  

In this case, I need to copy large batches of messages within an account to separate folders, and be able to still view them in webmail (by selecting the appropriate folder).  New folders work ok.  Messages within the folder do not.  I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your help.

-- Matt

alaskamatt

permissions on FOLDER
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
Thanks william_syd.  I missed permissions at a folder level, though the messages were correctly "owned". It appears you don't need to worry about the dovecot-uidlist file, either.