Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Added Suggestions: Default Configs, etc.

Offline AndrewR

• +0/-0
Added Suggestions: Default Configs, etc.
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:32:16 PM »
It Would be fabulous if SME Server could include some default configurations for the following:

1) The ability to have no MAIL, PROXY, or WEB installed by default. Or perhaps have a better way to turn off MAIL without having to disable the various protocols etc. Just use it as a very secure file server. We can turn off the gateway, why not the other features, on a one by one basis?

2) I'm starting to really like OpenVPN...if you want VPN, but faster performance, OpenVPN is a great little project. I'm not too familiar with the GNU / GPL... but is it able to be bundled right into the install, and then have a config module right in the WebMin interface?

3) Some kind of Software Distribution service to Domain members: Maybe something like SMS (System Management Server) or the power of Group Policy in Active Directory from windows land...  that could be really handy.

just some random thoughts.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Added Suggestions: Default Configs, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:17:24 AM »
AndrewR

> 1) The ability to have no MAIL, PROXY, or WEB installed by default. Or > perhaps have a better way to turn off MAIL without having to disable
> the various protocols etc. Just use it as a very secure file server. We
> can turn off the gateway, why not the other features, on a one by one > basis?

I think all that is catered for, but maybe you are wanting a GUI server manager panel.
You can configure sme as a private server, no services will be exposed to the Internet, the box doesn't exist as far as the external world is concerned.
On a gateway server or server only configuration you can disable any service you wish with a simple db command eg
db configuration setprop atalk status disabled
signal-event console-save
etc etc etc for all the other services
db configuration show

You could also install sme7admin contrib as that does have a server manager panel for disabling/enabling services.
Be careful with web services as you may no longer be able to access the server manager panel, ie httpd-e-smith & httpd-admin !

It would be better to post requests to the New Feature Request bug tracker, if they have any merit they will be seen & discussed by the developers.

I believe current dev policy is not to include contribs in the base code, but to have a well structured contribs management system in place and users can install & update contribs using yum repos.