Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Announce] Horde 3.1.x RPM's

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
Horde RPM's or Horde Base
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »
Hi all

Will the new RPM's allow the client to access the LDAP of different users or still only the main LDAP ?
And will the main LDAP consist of the users shared contacts or still only the contacts listed from withing the server manager ?

I'm wanting to add users to the LDAP for client lookups
The Base Horde included with SME7 does not seem to allow me to add or edit the LDAP addressbook even within webmail.
Does the Horde RPM's allow this ?

I know it's several questions at once, I'm just trying to see if it will really benifit my to install the RPM's or can I simply find a way to edit the LDAP addresses ?
Will the RPM's/Horde 3.1 allow the email client to edit the addressbook ?

OR better yet is there an options to allow LDAP for each users addressbook which I could then add the proper LDAP to my client for lookups.

Please advise on this subject or what options might be best for this use.

Thanks
Steve

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Horde RPM's or Horde Base
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "Agent86"
Hi all

Will the new RPM's allow the client to access the LDAP of different users or still only the main LDAP ?
And will the main LDAP consist of the users shared contacts or still only the contacts listed from withing the server manager ?

I'm wanting to add users to the LDAP for client lookups
The Base Horde included with SME7 does not seem to allow me to add or edit the LDAP addressbook even within webmail.
Does the Horde RPM's allow this ?

I know it's several questions at once, I'm just trying to see if it will really benifit my to install the RPM's or can I simply find a way to edit the LDAP addresses ?
Will the RPM's/Horde 3.1 allow the email client to edit the addressbook ?

OR better yet is there an options to allow LDAP for each users addressbook which I could then add the proper LDAP to my client for lookups.

Please advise on this subject or what options might be best for this use.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

No users save anything to the LDAP database.  The only thing in the ldap db are the users that are added via server-manager.  This has always been the case with SME.  With the new version of turba, you can now have shared address books, so you could create an address book and share it to all users and they could query that.  

I have just tried this and there is something wrong.  First, in conf.php, edit this line - $conf['shares']['source'] = 'sql'; and change to localsql, then edit sources.php and change 'use_shares' => false, to true.  This will give you a my address books icon when looking at address books.  You are then able to create a new address book and grant permissions.  I granted permissions to all autheticated users.  But, when an authenticated user logs in they can't see the shared address book :( .  

I am currently working through the turba lists to see what has been missed.  When this is figured out, I'll open the appropriate bugs.  So, if you want to try to work through this as well, make sure you create custom templates.

Also, the horde, imp, ingo, and turba 3.1 rpms and now part of the base SME 7.1 install, so they have been removed from my contribs site.

John

edit:  Disregard what I said about users not being able to see the shared address books.  They can when they go into address book/options, and add the new address books to be displayed.  Bug 2218 opened - http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2218

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Addressbooks Horde 3.1
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 03:20:30 AM »
Hi Thanks for the info

Curious ? I have recently installed the 7.1 and I do not see an options for (add the new address books to be displayed)

I did utilize the sidebar which I was not aware of in 7.0 but very nice feature indeed.

As far as sharing addressbooks goes, are any of the addresses able to be used as a LDAP or only the local LDAP ?

Not that I really need to utilize that now that I've found out about this sidebar feature, but only curious.

Thanks

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Addressbooks Horde 3.1
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »
Hi Thanks for the info

Curious ? I have recently installed the 7.1 and I do not see an options for (add the new address books to be displayed)

I did utilize the sidebar which I was not aware of in 7.0 but very nice feature indeed.

As far as sharing addressbooks goes, are any of the addresses able to be used as a LDAP or only the local LDAP ?

Not that I really need to utilize that now that I've found out about this sidebar feature, but only curious.

Thanks

Here it is from soup to nuts.  After you have made the two changes I stated before, logout, then back in.  Choose Address book, my address books, create  a shared address book, edit the permissions to your liking.  By default only the creator can see the address book.  Save, logout and login as a new user that should have permissions to the new shared address book.  Choose options, address book, Address books.  You should now see all of the address books you have permission to in the left table.  Move those to the right table and save.  Now, when you click on address book, you will have a dropdown box on the top right.  If you have the correct rights, you can add/edit/delete entries.  You can even compose a new mail and choose entries from any of the address books you have permissions too.

The reason you have to do this is because by default on SME the localsql and localldap address books are set in the prefs.php file.

Currently, no other users other than what is saved via server-manager are saved to the ldap database.

HTH,

JB

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Horde -Great Answers Here
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 04:09:05 AM »
Thanks

That really helps, perhaps someday there will be a way to create separate LDAP's and share address books to the created LDAP's as desired

Would be very cool feature.

Thanks again.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Horde ?
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 03:05:53 PM »
Hi

I curious about the Horde Topics from the Horde site

There is mention of Horde Groupware Suite,Horde Groupware Webmail Edition

Are these RPM's the Groupware Webmail Edition

I love the screenshots from Horde and would like to install the Full Groupware but do not want to mess up my Server Installation

Will SME have the full Groupware in the future ?

Please advise

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Horde ?
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »
Hi

I curious about the Horde Topics from the Horde site

There is mention of Horde Groupware Suite,Horde Groupware Webmail Edition

Are these RPM's the Groupware Webmail Edition

I love the screenshots from Horde and would like to install the Full Groupware but do not want to mess up my Server Installation

Will SME have the full Groupware in the future ?

Please advise

Those are marketing terms the horde group is using to get the word out that their suite is a "groupware suite".  The same components used in SME are the same components used in the horde Groupware Editions.

IMO, the addition of nag, mnemo, kronolith, and gollem, make an excellent groupware suite.  The only real piece missing for a lot of people is the ability to sync with outlook, which should be fully supported when horde 3.2 is released.

As far as the full groupware suite being added to SME, I guess if enough people call for it, then they could be added.  For now, I maintain the other horde add-on modules, because I use them.

HTH,

John

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Horde Thanks
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
Thanks

I want to add those modules but I'm concerned about how the tape backup will work and what will happen when doing updates etc. ?

I would like to utilize all those features without getting too far from the original installs and breaking something in the process.

Where should my main concerns be on installing these RPM's and since the new 7.1 has 4 of those then I assume I would not need to re-installed them ?

Thanks
Steve

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Horde Thanks
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 09:10:41 PM »
Thanks

I want to add those modules but I'm concerned about how the tape backup will work and what will happen when doing updates etc. ?

I would like to utilize all those features without getting too far from the original installs and breaking something in the process.

Where should my main concerns be on installing these RPM's and since the new 7.1 has 4 of those then I assume I would not need to re-installed them ?

Thanks
Steve

Tape backup should not be impacted,  all data is still stored in the mysql database.  Even if you have a failure and have to reload and restore and forget to load the other add-on modules, webmail should run fine.  If/when you add the other add-on modules, then you will see that data.  

It depends on what modules you really want.  To start, I would recommend not installing mimp or trean if you aren't familiar with the horde suite.  Those are nice to have's if you have the need.  I use trean to save all of my Internet bookmarks, then when I am on the road and need to get to something, I can login to webmail and have access to my bookmarks.  Plus, trean is not a release level, but works fine for me.  Mimp was created as a cool thing to have on mobile devices.  I haven't been able to test it with my phone, but this is the same version that has been reported to be working with the horde 3.0 components.

Yes, 4 of the modules are integrated into SME 7.1.  These are the same 4 modules that have been bundled with SME since webmail was included.  The other modules just fit right in.  If they are detected, you see them, if not, you don't.

If you have doubts, stand up a test server and test them out.

John

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
nag, mnemo, kronolith, and gollem
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 03:46:15 AM »
Well thanks a lot for the info I've been reading the cool stuff at the Horde site

I think I will install the nag, mnemo, kronolith, and gollem as suggested.
I would like to see a task list feature someday if one is available for Horde and also curious about (Sort) which was listed on the Horde site.

So to proceed ? I should install the RPM's first, and then follow those 2 steps you suggested earlier

Please confirm that this is what I must do:
Since I have 7.1 I'm assuming no further Horde installation or update needed just the extra modules/packages

STEP 1 ?
I need to install 2 RPMS for every package. The actual product install, and the appropriate e-smith- or smeserver- rpm. Then signal-event post-upgrade ; signal-event reboot so the proper tables are created.
In my case: NagMnemo,Kronolith,and Gollem RPM's-base and RPM's-esmith
then
STEP2 ?
 First, in conf.php, edit this line - $conf['shares']['source'] = 'sql'; and change to localsql, then edit sources.php and change 'use_shares' => false, to true.

Please confirm this

Thanks
Steve

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: nag, mnemo, kronolith, and gollem
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 04:13:29 AM »
Well thanks a lot for the info I've been reading the cool stuff at the Horde site

I think I will install the nag, mnemo, kronolith, and gollem as suggested.
I would like to see a task list feature someday if one is available for Horde and also curious about (Sort) which was listed on the Horde site.

Nag *is* the task list.  Sork - IMO is no longer needed.  The accounts portion has been moved to the horde portal layout and is present in the latest versions included in 7.1, and SME provides for vacation, password changes, and e-mail forwarding.

So to proceed ? I should install the RPM's first, and then follow those 2 steps you suggested earlier

Please confirm that this is what I must do:
Since I have 7.1 I'm assuming no further Horde installation or update needed just the extra modules/packages

STEP 1 ?
I need to install 2 RPMS for every package. The actual product install, and the appropriate e-smith- or smeserver- rpm. Then signal-event post-upgrade ; signal-event reboot so the proper tables are created.
In my case: NagMnemo,Kronolith,and Gollem RPM's-base and RPM's-esmith
then
STEP2 ?
 First, in conf.php, edit this line - $conf['shares']['source'] = 'sql'; and change to localsql, then edit sources.php and change 'use_shares' => false, to true.

Please confirm this

Thanks
Steve

Yes.  But, you don't have to edit the two lines if you don't want to try to use shared address books.  If you do want to try shared address books, then make sure you edit the templates as anything that modifies the horde templates will overwrite any changes made directly to the various conf.php files.

John

miroj

Re: Horde ?
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
Quote from: "mrjhb3"

As far as the full groupware suite being added to SME, I guess if enough people call for it, then they could be added.  For now, I maintain the other horde add-on modules, because I use them.

HTH,

John

To tell you frankly, I love Horde groupware, and I was asking my self why only web mail part was integrated to SME.

My opinion is that full Horde (groupware) MUST be added to SME as default packages.

My full support.

Miro

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Hi John,

Maybe we should lobby for:
-sme-extras repo (tested packages that function, never replace core packages)
-or sme-contribs repo (untested packages that may replace core packages)?

It would be a good home for packages not included in the core distro.

Any luck with DIMP?

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Horde Groupware Full Suite
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »
Yes I agree this would make SME very appealing even to the new user

Got my vote for full Horde Groupware Webmail Suite

Thanks for the help I'll get those RPM's installed tonight and see how it goes

I need to research the various methods of installing / upgrading etc.
Anyway possible to put this on the SME CD I have and simply select upgrade from the CD ?
I would like to be able to do this via yum in the server-manager, but if thats not possible then I'll use ssh to the konsole etc.

Thanks again I'm looking forward to playing with it tonight

P.S
Would be nice to have a signup page for people to enroll in my horde email service, then I would not have to do it manually.
I have no idea how this may be accomplished but would be nice

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 09:51:03 PM »
Quote from: "kruhm"
Hi John,

Maybe we should lobby for:
-sme-extras repo (tested packages that function, never replace core packages)
-or sme-contribs repo (untested packages that may replace core packages)?

It would be a good home for packages not included in the core distro.

Any luck with DIMP?

I agree that it would be great if we could get a repo for add-ons.  That way they would be in one consistent place instead of how they are located now.  But, If we did that, then we could be in the same boat we were in while trying to upgrade from 6.x to 7 with the chaos of all of the add-ons that were causing upgrade issues that the devs put a lot of extra effort in to make work as smooth as possible.  I think it would take someone to manage the effort and get community buy-in on whether a package gets in or not.  There would need to be criteria, etc. set up so that there would be consistency as well.  That's make take.

No Dimp.  Haven't even looked at it.  I still have a little work that needs to be done on my 6.5 server so I can upgrade to 7.1.  Reference the comment about the add-on chaos.  I had a hand in adding to this chaos.

JB