Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Lack of spam whitelisting GUI a major oversight in SME 7

Offline morpheusx

• +0/-0
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:22:44 PM »
I appreciate the hard work done in SME 7, and I've had stellar performance so far. Having said that, the lack of a simple web GUI to do whitelisting for email is a major showstopper for me. I don't understand how it could have been overlooked in the design process.

The HORDE whitelist confuses users and should be disabled if it doesn't interact with SpamAssassin. As far as I can tell the HORDE whitelist doesn't actually do anything (much to the frustration of aforesaid users). I know how to manually whitelist a domain but it is complex, requires an admin to intervene and goes against the entire concept of SME as an easy to use server administered via the Web.

Are there any short term plans to address this issue in SME 7?

Thanks!

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: Lack of spam whitelisting GUI a major oversight in SME 7
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:40:07 PM »
Quote from: "morpheusx"
the lack of a simple web GUI to do whitelisting for email is a major showstopper for me.

If that's the case then how about contributing to creating one? Or pay someone to do this for you.

I don't understand how it could have been overlooked in the design process.

I doubt it was overlooked, it was not the most important thing on the agenda, plus another reason is that the core Dev team is only a small team so they would have added by importantace rather than a visual effect.

Are there any short term plans to address this issue in SME 7?

It would be the same answer, if someone produces the work then the core dev team will look at including this work.

IIRC - Didn't Jesper do something for this as a contrib for older versions? if so then maybe you or someone paid or not could continue this contrib, until this happens I doubt it would rate high amoung the small dev teams BIG list of things to do.

Just my 2p worth
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:28:18 PM »
Quote from: "morpheusx"
I appreciate the hard work done in SME 7, and I've had stellar performance so far. Having said that, the lack of a simple web GUI to do whitelisting for email is a major showstopper for me. I don't understand how it could have been overlooked in the design process.

I would not call something like this a show stopper.  It isn't as if whitelisting can't be done on SME.  You can whitelist with either custom templates to the  /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf config file or by populating the spamassassin dbase with WBL entries.  Have a look at the 60globalWBL template for spamassassin.  

I wrote this template and a GUI to drive it when I first put the spamassassin contrib together a few years ago.  You should note, however, that the dbase format for WBL entries is a bit lousy.  Gordon pointed this out to me some time ago.  I meant to go back and improve based on Gordon's suggestions, but just never have.

Greg
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »
Quote from: "byte"

If that's the case then how about contributing to creating one? Or pay someone to do this for you.

Funny that when ever someone asks "Why doesn't SME do xxxx?" someone has to come back with a statement like this -- and it is almost always the same exact statement.   What's wrong with pointing them at the Suggestions forum?  Nothing wrong with asking for a new feature is there?

IIRC - Didn't Jesper do something for this as a contrib for older versions?

I wrote the original contrib some time ago.  It can be found here:  http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gzartman/Beta/spamassassin/

Greg
----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »
Quote from: "gzartman"

Funny that when ever someone asks "Why doesn't SME do xxxx?" someone has to come back with a statement like this -- and it is almost always the same exact statement.   What's wrong with pointing them at the Suggestions forum?

It's pointless. The Suggestions forum just duplicates the New Feature Request of the bug tracker, and does nothing to create the wanted feature. The SME server project is not short of things on the TODO list. It's short of completed things coming off the TODO list. The reason for that is that there are many people asking, and rather few providing.

Nothing wrong with asking for a new feature is there?

Nothing wrong at all. Just as there is nothing wrong with me asking for a billion dollars.

By all means point people to the New Feature Request area of the bug tracker. But also remind them that for the request to become a reality, someone must write the code, either because they want it enough themselves, or because they have been paid to do it.
Please don't encourage a "culture of entitlement". It's counter-productive.

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
 It's pointless.

Then get rid of it.

completed things coming off the TODO list. The reason for that is that there are many people asking, and rather few providing.

Welcome to just about every open source project on the net.  Just because someone puts a request up there doesn't mean anyone is obligated to do it.

Please don't encourage a "culture of entitlement". It's counter-productive.

I was doing nothing of the sort.  I was asking why some keep hitting people in the face with that same response whenever a new feature/function is suggested.  Instead, it would be more productive to have them post in the forum which states "A place to suggest new features and enhancements in future releases of the SME Server."  

If it is counter productive to have venues for suggested new features, then remove them and make a statement clarifiy this position.
----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
I was asking why some keep hitting people in the face

I was merely making a comment, so unless all my/our comments are consided as hitting people in the face then what do we do?

Beside we going off track here...
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 07:46:02 PM »
 It's pointless.

Then get rid of it.

I am no more capable of doing that than you are.

If it is counter productive to have venues for suggested new features, then remove them and make a statement clarifiy this position.

I don't think it is counter productive to have a venue to suggest new features. I do think it is counterproductive to have more than one such venue.

I also think that it is counter productive to give anyone expectations that they will see new features just by asking for them. I don't think that there's any harm at all in pointing out the facts of life to anyone who does have such expectations.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 08:01:23 PM »
Ok, I'll jump in here.  For starters, this topic should have been started in the Suggestions category.  I'm going to move it.  And I've made Gavin (byte) a Forum Moderator, so he can move topics now too.  If anyone else wants to be moderator, email staff@.

As to whether there should be a Suggestion category, or just a NFR category in the bug tracker, I think there should be both because the forums are great for discussion, and the bug tracker is great for gathering code suggestions via attachments, etc.  There's nothing wrong with discussing a suggestion in the forums before making a NFR.

As to putting money towards develpoment.  I made a new post here - http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=34153.0 - please comment there.  Thanks.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »
This issue is already a NFR - http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=807

Offline tariqf

• +0/-0
how to add wbl entry
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »
it's easy use

db spamassassin setprop wbl.global *@whoever.com White