Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Spamassassin v3.1 not moving spam to junkmail folder & R

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:14:37 PM »
I am using Jesper Knudsen's spam filter panel.  I am getting headers with numbers from 8.6 to 22.5 / 8.0 and the spam email s are still not getting moved to the junkmail folder.  I have the "sort to junkmail" option turned on.  Any insight will be appreciated.

Also, it seems if I choose more than one "conservative" RBL entry users start complaining that outgoing mail times out several times before it goes through.  Is there something else I need to look at to make this work better?

Thanks in advance,

jbf

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Spamassassin v3.1 not moving spam to junkmail folder &am
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
yelnic

>....the spam email s are still not getting moved to the junkmail folder.

Did you actually enable the Spam filter panel ?

If already on, then try disabling and Saving the panel, and then re-enable and Save the panel.

Also check your users procmail rules to see that they are correct, these should be automatically setup by the spam filter contrib at installation time.

Also note that you should not alter the forwarding setting in the User section of server manager as this will disable procmail and stop junkmail filtering from working.
You can install the User Manager contrib to check if each users forwarding settings are set to procmail.

If that still doesn't work, then uninstall the spam filter rpms, and then run the install scripts from knuddi's site again. Doing that will reconfigure procmail for all users.

> if I choose more than one "conservative" RBL entry users start
> complaining that outgoing mail times out several times before it goes through.

Increase the time out delay in the users email clients.

In the sme 6 RBL implementation, your IP is checked against external RBL lists for all outgoing & local mail, thus causing delays. If you have a slower outgoing speed (which most people do) and a few busy users, then you can run into timing issues.
I would only implement 4 lists maximum, try these
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
relays.ordb.org
dnsbl.njabl.org
whois.rfc-ignorant.org

> Is there something else I need to look at to make this work better?

sme 7 handles the RBL checking differently and your IP is not checked against RBL lists, so you should not have these delays. Upgrade to sme 7.

Alternatively there were some suggestions posted in the forums re how to stop your IP being checked on sme 6.

See the information at the very end of the howto titled
Excluding internal IP's from being scanned against RBL lists

http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver//contribs/rmitchell/smeserver/howto/Spam%20blocking%20HOWTO%20using%20smtpfront-qmail%20for%20sme%20server.htm

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »
Thank you very much for the response.  I am sorry it's taken so long to follow-up, but things are rather hectic.

I have done most of the things you suggested (short of upgrading to SME 7 yet) and spam is still not sorting into the junkmail folders.  Please see my comments below.  Any further insight would be appreciated.

Quote from: "RayMitchell"
yelnic

>>....the spam email s are still not getting moved to the junkmail folder.

>Did you actually enable the Spam filter panel ?

Yes.

>If already on, then try disabling and Saving the panel, and then re-enable and Save the panel.

Done.

>Also check your users procmail rules to see that they are correct, these should be automatically setup by the spam filter contrib at installation time.

They look reasonable.  I don't fully understand the syntax, but they have:

:0
* ^.*X-Spam-Flag: YES
$MAILDIR/;junkmail/

in their .procmailrc files.  I don't suppose the ";" needs to be escaped as in "\;", does it?

>Also note that you should not alter the forwarding setting in the User section of server manager as this will disable procmail and stop junkmail filtering from working.

Do you mean people are not supposed to have their email forwarded to their aol accounts?  Some do.

>You can install the User Manager contrib to check if each users forwarding settings are set to procmail.

I installed it, but I can't log in as a delegated user.  I must be missing something glaring.

>If that still doesn't work, then uninstall the spam filter rpms, and then run the install scripts from knuddi's site again. Doing that will reconfigure procmail for all users.

I uninstalled and re-installed sme-spamfilter-1.3.0-1.  Do I also have to uninstall spamassassin-3.1.1-1, spamassassin-tools-3.1.1-1, and sortspam-1.0.0-01?

>> if I choose more than one "conservative" RBL entry users start
>> complaining that outgoing mail times out several times before it goes through.

>I would only implement 4 lists maximum, try these
>sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
>relays.ordb.org
>dnsbl.njabl.org
>whois.rfc-ignorant.org

Done.

>> Is there something else I need to look at to make this work better?

>sme 7 handles the RBL checking differently and your IP is not checked against RBL lists, so you should not have these delays. Upgrade to sme 7.

Need to plan this since site is 2.5 hours away.

>See the information at the very end of the howto titled
Excluding internal IP's from being scanned against RBL lists

>http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver//contribs/rmitchell/smeserver/howto/Spam%20blocking%20HOWTO%20using%20smtpfront-qmail%20for%20sme%20server.htm

[/quote]
These changes seem to have worked since the outgoing email is moving much faster now.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:32:29 AM »
yelnic

> :0
> * ^.*X-Spam-Flag: YES
> $MAILDIR/;junkmail/

Same as I have, but note the following:

> Do you mean people are not supposed to have their email forwarded to
> their aol accounts?  Some do.

If you set a "forward to" address for the user, then procmail will not filter messages to the junkmail folder. Procmail only works if the delivery is local.
This means that external users (who receive mail fowarded to them) will also receive all spam messages as they will NOT have been filtered to the junkmail folder, and that's your problem isn't it ?

Offline yelnic

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »
yelnic

> :0
> * ^.*X-Spam-Flag: YES
> $MAILDIR/;junkmail/

Same as I have, but note the following:

> Do you mean people are not supposed to have their email forwarded to
> their aol accounts?  Some do.

If you set a "forward to" address for the user, then procmail will not filter messages to the junkmail folder. Procmail only works if the delivery is local.
This means that external users (who receive mail fowarded to them) will also receive all spam messages as they will NOT have been filtered to the junkmail folder, and that's your problem isn't it ?

I believe I now have a better understanding of the user-manager panel and have seen what you mean.  I made sure all the users were being processed by procmail and added a forwarding rule in the user-manager panel for those who needed it.  Now .procmailrc reads:

* ^.*X-Spam-Flag: YES
$MAILDIR/;junkmail/

# --------------------------
# start of user recipies rel = [6.0.1-01]

* > 1
{
:0 c
$MAILDIR/;/

! <username>@aol.com
}

# all else goes to the inbox
$DEFAULT

Wouldn't this filter the junkmail first and then do the forward if needed?  Isn't there a way to order the filter steps chronologically?  Some of these folks REFUSE to give up their aol accounts.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:47:24 AM »
yelnic

> Some of these folks REFUSE to give up their aol accounts.

Let them keep using aol but do the following as well.
Install the secure email contrib on your sme 6.0.x server.
Get those users to configure their email client for secure IMAP & secure POP & collect mail directly from your server (for their user account).
That way they will download the mail from the Inbox using POP, and be able to see the spam in the junkmail (IMAP) folder.
Of course you remove the "Forward To" setting and configure all users for procmail/junkmail filtering.

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:36:16 PM »
Ray,

In 7.latest, if I have enabled DNSBL and RHSBL in qpsmtpd then I don't need to worry about RBL enabling in Spamassassin.  Is this correct?

Rob

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »
robwellesley

Yes

Note that RBL was never a function of spamassassin, although knuddi had it on the sme6 spam filter panel.

There are issues with using RHSBL, be aware of what they are and decide if you really want to enable it. Search here and devinfo.