Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fetchmail - Has my tweaking lost incoming emails

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
    • http://www.westcountrybusiness.com
Fetchmail - Has my tweaking lost incoming emails
« on: September 21, 2006, 05:21:29 PM »
I was trying a quick-fix on a clients server last night & fear I may have lost a bunch of his e-mails.

In brief, I wanted to collect emails from the POP a/c myname@btconnect.com.  This company already have a main POP account & this is a second account.

In the past I set up btconnect.com as a local domain and forwarded the user myname internally as needed.  However, this meant that any outgoing email to btconect.com wasn't delivered - and as BT are a fairly big company, that was a problem.

So I created a duplicate fetchmail file and edited it to contain the correct mail settings.  I then created a custom template for Startmail to run both fetchmail and fetchmail copy.  

(I know there are contribs for this, but I've done it before & it works OK).  This client is running SME6.5 and so all I needed to do was set 'Mail to Unknown Recipients' to forward to the correct user - only I didn't (or didn't initially).  :oops:

Trying to be clever (always a mistake) I manually edited the local domains in the fetchmail file to include btconnect.com - I thought this would ensure incoming mail would be delivered OK while not affecting outgoing.

With this setting, no mail came through & so I reset it to how it should be and all is working now.  However - the client called me today and said 'Where are all the e-mails I was waiting for...'  

I've checked the smtpfront-qmail log and see that all the emails in question had the following:

RCPT TO:<myname@btconnect.com>

which sort of implies they were delivered back to the sender, rather than locally.

I can't find the emails on the server and they haven't appeared back in the myname@btconnect.com Inbox.  

I'm sitting down & bracing myself  - so you can be honest.  Have I lost them? ....