Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

LDAP entries change on their own?

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:40:49 PM »
Hello all...  LDAP question for which I could find no previous posts:

I have two domains on my 6.0 server, let's call them dom1.com (primary) and dom2.com (virtual).  I have roughly 60 users, with 40 using dom1.com and 20 using dom2.com.  I use the email-blocking contrib to limit receipt only to the domain for which the user is alloted, not both domains. (This is done primarily for corporate identity; the two domains represent two different companies and we don't want to confuse our clientele.)  Many of these 60 users use WebMail and I have a networked appliance which connects to the LDAP directory on the server for internal address lookups.

My problem is that, even with phpldap admin, setting the 20 users to dom2.com doesn't hold - over time they all seem to want to revert to dom1.com (the primary domain.)  Because the email-blocking contrib won't allow the user to receive on both domains, this reversion is causing great grief with both the Global Address Book in webmail and our network appliance which is doing lookups.

I have tried to edit entries in the WebMail global address book, but get errors, so I don't believe that users are able to change the entries themselves.  Desktop clients do not have LDAP lookups enabled, so that rules out interference from there as well.

Any thoughts on why these would "revert" back to the primary domain on their own?  Could this be due to SpamAssassin, ClamAV or other automatically scheduled updates?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »
bump, bump...

Is nobody else experiencing this phenomena?

Offline andy_wismer

• +0/-0
    • ANWI-Net
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »
Hi

I have the same problems on my (few) clients running 6.x.

Those running 7.0 or 7.1 don't have those problems about LDAP reverting, or more accurate, Aliases being recreated according to SME6 scheme.

SME6 seems to redo LDAP (Aliases) everytime a user is modified or other similiar system events.

Upgrade to SME71, it just works better!!!

Regards

Andy Wismer

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »
Confirmed.  The LDAP entries revert when you change any other parameters of the account, such as the user's quota.

Looks like it's time to migrate to 7.1!

Offline andy_wismer

• +0/-0
    • ANWI-Net
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »
SME71 also has a phpldap contrib...

Using that and works well.

LDAP seems more stable.

You can allow "Client-PCs" to update the LDAP. Say a secretary can be given permission to update fields x, y, z in LDAP. Try out the templating stuff in phpldapadmin for that. The Client can even use the adress book in Outlook Express to do updates. There are better progs out there to do that, though...

YMMV, but SME 7.1's well worth the trip!