Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

New Forums

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
New Forums
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away..

Dang... was looking at that yesterday to see who else was in Sydney.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
Yes - the "captcha" in phpbb is not effective anymore, as I can tell.  

I am going to install a mod to improve the captcha (EDIT -done, looks much harder for an OCR program to crack it now)

interesting reading here - http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »
Quote from: "william_syd"
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away.

Sorry, that was apparently an easy source of emails for spammers.  A phpbb security site recommended to remove it.  There are some mods to protect the email addresses though - I'l look into that.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
New Forums
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 03:10:22 AM »
Quote from: "ngomes"
In the past I have advocated a Contribs.org 'CMS change' from Xoops to Drupal due to some good reasons (just search the forums). I still think that we (as a community) do need the kind of tools Drupal provides for whatever website SME Server is related (contribs.org or smeserver.org).

I've looked into drupal and am not that impressed with it.  Yes it does have a lot of apparent features but lacks a lot of things necessary to effectively manage a large group of individuals.  If you are running a small site with a few people it might be good.

I've loaded the contribs.org data into drupal and found that it ran very slow.  In addition to running slow it lacks many of the permissions/rights settings that we need.  These might be able to be accomplished using plugins/hacks but then we are in the same boat as we were with xoops.  We don't have a full time staff to watch and maintain security patches and keep making hacks (let alone remembering what hacks have been made).

Quote from: "ngomes"
From my experience, the framework behind a website is an important tool to enhance user collaboration/interaction and a great community. You can try that on Joomla but you will never be successfull.

I agree that having a framework would be good but first and foremost we need to have a secure site.  Be assured that we are looking for alternatives and doing the best we can.

-Shad
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
While looking at phpbb mods I came across this website that uses a software called mx-system, that basically uses data from phpbb, apparently without being integrated with it.  Looks pretty cool:
http://www.wifiwinnipeg.ca/

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
Quote from: "william_syd"
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away..

Dang... was looking at that yesterday to see who else was in Sydney.

It's back now - I fixed phpbb so you have to be logged in to view the memberlist, groups, or people's profiles.  So people can feel safe now to put their email address and it will only be seen by activated users, not google or spam bots. (EDIT - typo)

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
New Forums
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2006, 02:25:57 AM »
Quote from: "phpBB ACP"
User email via board
Users send email to each other via this board

The above setting in the ACP hides the mailto link in the memberlist and the Email button.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2006, 03:07:10 AM »
> The above setting in the ACP hides the mailto link in the memberlist and the Email button.

Yes, but it also turns on email messaging via the board, which we (I) don't want.

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
Quote from: "slords"
I've looked into drupal and am not that impressed with it.  Yes it does have a lot of apparent features but lacks a lot of things necessary to effectively manage a large group of individuals.  If you are running a small site with a few people it might be good.

I've loaded the contribs.org data into drupal and found that it ran very slow.  In addition to running slow it lacks many of the permissions/rights settings that we need.  These might be able to be accomplished using plugins/hacks but then we are in the same boat as we were with xoops.  We don't have a full time staff to watch and maintain security patches and keep making hacks (let alone remembering what hacks have been made).

I totally disagree with you on all points, Shad. But I will not refute your argumentation. Let me just point a very good series of articles from IBM about CMS (content management systems) and Drupal in particular:

Using open source software to design, develop, and deploy a collaborative Web site

And if you have time to read (very very long threads) here's some user reviews and comparations between Joomla and Drupal:

Joomla Forum: Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion)
Drupal Forum: How does Drupal compare to Mambo?

And an article (also very long) about Drupal disadvantages:

Drupal Forum: The Drupal Disadvantage in 4.7.3 Version

Quote from: "slords"
I agree that having a framework would be good but first and foremost we need to have a secure site.  Be assured that we are looking for alternatives and doing the best we can.

I' am sure you are. My current inputs are for the best of reasons: I love SME Server, I love the developpers work and support (Gordon, Charlie, you and all others in here ) and I love this community. I just want that our management board will choose the right web framework for the next years.

Regards,
Nuno Rafael Gomes
Learning everyday from everyday problems...

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
Nuno.  Please don't worry about what software smeserver.org uses.  No one but editors of that website will ever be able to log in.  It is basically just a static site.

I don't even think contribs.org needs a CMS like Joomla or Drupal.  It has forums and will soon have a new wiki.  We may want to make the login to the wiki use the existing phpbb usernames/passwords and not allow signups only to the wiki, but we don't want to integrate either with a CMS.

guest22

New Forums
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:24 AM »
I wonder what the hurry was behind the sudden change of contribs.org.

There are about a zillion of bookmarks and posts out that refer to non existing content anymore. There are thousands of people relying on the contribs.org wiki from day to day.

Looking at this thread and arguments, there must be a good reason for the current changes, timing and consequenses. I have been watching over contribs.org many years an actually created the framework as it was (using Xoops) Shad made excellent adjustments for global search and account integration, and I wonder what was not functioning (besides security updates that can be done manually and create time to launch a new portal)

Right now, contribs.org has been replaced with the basic phpbb and static pages are moved to smeserver.org (using joomla). I really miss the contribs.org portal as it was. It was my one stop shop for everything regarding SME Server.

I never would have done these changes, although understand the need for changes. I simply would have done it differently. But then again, I agreed to resign in favour of ruffdogs taking over and more importantly for the SME Server to survive and provide a true portal to the community.

I am disappointed but await the end users improvements.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »
RequestedDeletion & others

> I wonder what the hurry was behind the sudden change of contribs.org.
> I am disappointed but await the end users improvements.

I no nothing of the behind the scenes reasons for the changes other than any comments published here. It seems that security & maintenance may be significant issues. There also seems to be a desire to tidy up & present information that is current & accurate.
Those pulling the strings I'm sure had good reasons to make the "sudden" change as you call it.

I suggest not to be disappointed but to in fact be expectant of the good to come. Change sometimes takes time, so just be patient.

Offline del

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »
Hi Greg,
It's back now - I fixed phpbb so you have to be logged in to view the memberlist, groups, or people's profiles. So people can feel safe now to put their email address and it will only be seen by activated users, not google or spam bots

Can you tell me where I can get info on how to do this?
Thanks,
Del :pint:
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
> Can you tell me where I can get info on how to do this?

These two mods:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=303691
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=358975

This is the other one I installed, and seems to be working well to keep the bots out:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=344831

Janm

New Forums
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 03:53:17 PM »
Hi Greg
i am being asked to point to ImageMagick when installing phpbb
where is this installed in sme 7 i have installed it via
yum enablerepo=base install ImageMagick
and its there so what do i write fks
/usr/lib/ImageMagick  just a maybe ??

Janm