Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

New Forums

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« on: September 15, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »
Testing 123 :-)

Yeah!  Hope you like the new look of the forums.  If you missed the annoucement on the front page of contribs.org a few days ago, we are no longer using Xoops for the contribs.org website.  smeserver.org will now be the new face of SME Server.  Please have a look there if you haven't visited the site yet.  

The wiki pages from contribs.org will be back online soon as well.  Thanks for your patience.

woyzeck

New Forums
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »
Maybe the SMEServer pic in the upper left hand corner should link to smeserver.org.  I had to dig around for a while before I found this message to know what was going on.

Woyzeck

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
New Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:55:19 PM »
Is there any reason why contribs.org and smeserver.org could not point to the same site? Also, a number of previous forum posts would direct readers to the appropriate menu on the left. To retain usability the forum should load inside the CMS.

Also appears we have also lost the ability to perform a single search across the entire site (including forums) for content  :cry:

Darrell

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: New Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"
Thanks for your patience.

And Thanks to all behind scenes! Still a bit to do but looking good!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »
please, change the logo... it's so awful, without antialiasing... :wink:
here your original logo and a version I just made in 5 minutes, if you want to use...

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:29:41 PM »
Quote from: "mrshark"

+1 to that

I was about to say the same thing...
-- Jason

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 12:53:38 AM »
Yah, I knew my logo sucked :P  I made it in 5 minutes too, but I don't know what I'm doing obviously.   I will put in your replacement on Monday.  Thanks a lot :)

We are working on making the old forum links work (both a redirect to the same post/topic if you type in the old url and changing the links in forum posts here already).  It will be done, it was just a security issue and a hurry to get the newer phpbb version running, and we couldn't get everythin done all at once.  We aren't quite done moving the forums though, they will soon be at forums.contribs.org, and contribs.org will redirect to smeserver.org.

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
New Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »
both sites look nice ... and I like some of the new features.

But I too took a while to think of looking in this section and come accross this post so I would agree to have something on the main page to let ppl know where the new SME server page is.

There will be a lot of lost sheep roaming arround out there atm :D

Regards,

Tib

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 04:36:30 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Tib - I made an announcements category at the top and moved this post there.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
New Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 04:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "mrshark"
here your original logo and a version I just made in 5 minutes, if you want to use...

Very nice.

My only comment is the text being layed on the graphic. I've never seen that before.

I've only seen the plain logo with the text to the right.

Is there a style guide on how the SME server branding should be displayed?
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:27:42 AM »
Quote from: "dmay"
Also, a number of previous forum posts would direct readers to the appropriate menu on the left. To retain usability the forum should load inside the CMS.

I don't think we want to integrate it with a CMS (been down that road), but I think it's a good idea to add a menu with a links that say Home, Forums, Downloads, FAQs, Documentation, Devlopment and Bugzilla - something like that.  A top menu design that is consistent across the PHPBB, Joomla, Wiki and Bugzilla sites would be good.  

And I will ask mrshark if we need any graphic design rather than attempt it myself ;-)

Offline Amir Inbar

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sheroot.net
New Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 07:16:18 AM »
It took me a while also.

I think putting the Anouncement at the top is not enough - maybe a clear link with text saying clearly : contribs.org is here ... - linked to smeserver.org will make it easier to understand what has happened here.

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:20:15 AM »
And I will ask mrshark if we need any graphic design rather than attempt it myself ;-)

I'm here, if you need me... I can put the Fireworks png project somewhere, if someone wants... however, tell me how do you want it, and I'll do it, it's really a matter of minutes...

for the phpbb/joomla question, in joomla you could publish a Link to the WRAPPER module, which can embed in an iframe every site, so even contribs.org forum...

there's a bridge, too, found on Joomla Extensions

but I think it's better to have 2 separate products: this summer was an autentic WAR against joomla sites, and phpbb integration was one of the doors used... here the list of known hackable components, and here some patches

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
Re: New Forums
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi,

First of all, great to have the forum back online :-), I had a Kernel Panic, and all my SME Server friends where gone :-(

Changed the RAM and everything runs as stable as the fantastic SME/E-Smith Server has done for me, the past 4 years.

smeserver.org will now be the new face of SME Server.  Please have a look there if you haven't visited the site yet.

What happened to Ruffdog?

The wiki pages from contribs.org will be back online soon as well.  Thanks for your patience.

And yes, I already miss the wiki – “Don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”
/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
is notification by email on this forum been turned off, while upgrading/migrating, and not re-turned on?
I've checked "Notify me when a reply is posted" on this and many other threads, and no one email is notifying me about any reply...