Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

New Forums

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« on: September 15, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »
Testing 123 :-)

Yeah!  Hope you like the new look of the forums.  If you missed the annoucement on the front page of contribs.org a few days ago, we are no longer using Xoops for the contribs.org website.  smeserver.org will now be the new face of SME Server.  Please have a look there if you haven't visited the site yet.  

The wiki pages from contribs.org will be back online soon as well.  Thanks for your patience.

woyzeck

New Forums
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »
Maybe the SMEServer pic in the upper left hand corner should link to smeserver.org.  I had to dig around for a while before I found this message to know what was going on.

Woyzeck

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
New Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:55:19 PM »
Is there any reason why contribs.org and smeserver.org could not point to the same site? Also, a number of previous forum posts would direct readers to the appropriate menu on the left. To retain usability the forum should load inside the CMS.

Also appears we have also lost the ability to perform a single search across the entire site (including forums) for content  :cry:

Darrell

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: New Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"
Thanks for your patience.

And Thanks to all behind scenes! Still a bit to do but looking good!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »
please, change the logo... it's so awful, without antialiasing... :wink:
here your original logo and a version I just made in 5 minutes, if you want to use...

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:29:41 PM »
Quote from: "mrshark"

+1 to that

I was about to say the same thing...
-- Jason

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 12:53:38 AM »
Yah, I knew my logo sucked :P  I made it in 5 minutes too, but I don't know what I'm doing obviously.   I will put in your replacement on Monday.  Thanks a lot :)

We are working on making the old forum links work (both a redirect to the same post/topic if you type in the old url and changing the links in forum posts here already).  It will be done, it was just a security issue and a hurry to get the newer phpbb version running, and we couldn't get everythin done all at once.  We aren't quite done moving the forums though, they will soon be at forums.contribs.org, and contribs.org will redirect to smeserver.org.

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
New Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »
both sites look nice ... and I like some of the new features.

But I too took a while to think of looking in this section and come accross this post so I would agree to have something on the main page to let ppl know where the new SME server page is.

There will be a lot of lost sheep roaming arround out there atm :D

Regards,

Tib

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 04:36:30 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Tib - I made an announcements category at the top and moved this post there.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
New Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 04:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "mrshark"
here your original logo and a version I just made in 5 minutes, if you want to use...

Very nice.

My only comment is the text being layed on the graphic. I've never seen that before.

I've only seen the plain logo with the text to the right.

Is there a style guide on how the SME server branding should be displayed?
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:27:42 AM »
Quote from: "dmay"
Also, a number of previous forum posts would direct readers to the appropriate menu on the left. To retain usability the forum should load inside the CMS.

I don't think we want to integrate it with a CMS (been down that road), but I think it's a good idea to add a menu with a links that say Home, Forums, Downloads, FAQs, Documentation, Devlopment and Bugzilla - something like that.  A top menu design that is consistent across the PHPBB, Joomla, Wiki and Bugzilla sites would be good.  

And I will ask mrshark if we need any graphic design rather than attempt it myself ;-)

Offline Amir Inbar

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sheroot.net
New Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 07:16:18 AM »
It took me a while also.

I think putting the Anouncement at the top is not enough - maybe a clear link with text saying clearly : contribs.org is here ... - linked to smeserver.org will make it easier to understand what has happened here.

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:20:15 AM »
And I will ask mrshark if we need any graphic design rather than attempt it myself ;-)

I'm here, if you need me... I can put the Fireworks png project somewhere, if someone wants... however, tell me how do you want it, and I'll do it, it's really a matter of minutes...

for the phpbb/joomla question, in joomla you could publish a Link to the WRAPPER module, which can embed in an iframe every site, so even contribs.org forum...

there's a bridge, too, found on Joomla Extensions

but I think it's better to have 2 separate products: this summer was an autentic WAR against joomla sites, and phpbb integration was one of the doors used... here the list of known hackable components, and here some patches

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi,

First of all, great to have the forum back online :-), I had a Kernel Panic, and all my SME Server friends where gone :-(

Changed the RAM and everything runs as stable as the fantastic SME/E-Smith Server has done for me, the past 4 years.

smeserver.org will now be the new face of SME Server.  Please have a look there if you haven't visited the site yet.

What happened to Ruffdog?

The wiki pages from contribs.org will be back online soon as well.  Thanks for your patience.

And yes, I already miss the wiki – “Don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”
/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline mrshark

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »
is notification by email on this forum been turned off, while upgrading/migrating, and not re-turned on?
I've checked "Notify me when a reply is posted" on this and many other threads, and no one email is notifying me about any reply...

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 05:56:09 PM »
Quote from: "Denbert"
What happened to Ruffdog?

Both sites are still running on Ruffdogs bandwidth and on a server owned by Ruffdogs.  You're right, we need top put back their logo here - I'll do that as well tomorrow (edit - DONE).  Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
Devinfo?
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 10:49:39 PM »
Is the devinfo board still to be?  The link on smeserver.org points here but doesn't work and I don't see a link on this site?

Rob Wellesley

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 12:19:31 AM »
The mailing lists are still working.  There is a link on the left menu of smeserver.org called "SME Server Mailing Lists".  Is there another link somewhere that isn't working?

duncan

New Forums
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 12:48:08 AM »
Hi - small thing.

Could you set up your favicon. I look for it in my favourites. Trivial I know, but hey.

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 02:23:16 AM »
The mailing lists are still working.  There is a link on the left menu of smeserver.org called "SME Server Mailing Lists".  Is there another link somewhere that isn't working?

http://www.smeserver.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=37&lang=en

click on link under Devoloper Mailing List

Rob

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 05:07:34 AM »
Thanks, fixed that link.  I'll add the favicon tomorrow morning (Edit - DONE).

Offline psc

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »
Just a short question:

Who are the shareholders of SME Server Inc ?
First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.

Offline chris burnat

• +2/-0
    • http://www.burnat.com
New Forums
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
Please do not take my comments as criticisms. On the contrary. SME7 has reached the status of  excellence (thanks and thanks again to Gordon, Charlie , Shad, et al) and we are very fortunate to be associated with this release, let alone be able to "use" it to establish "free" communication in our respective neck of the wood.  However, to a casual observer, it would appear that the whole of Contribs as we know it has come to a temporary grinding halt.

(i) The main site has been revamped  with the unfortunate result that essential items such as the wikis are no longer available.

(ii) Key developpers appear to have dropped of from the forum in recent days.

(iii) There has been no posts on Bugzilla since the 16/9/06.

Where do we go from there?
- chris
If it does not work out of the box, please fill in a Bug Report @ Bugzilla (http://bugs.contribs.org)  - check: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help .  Thanks.

Offline byte

• +2/-0
New Forums
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 04:11:50 PM »
Quote from: "burnat"

(i) The main site has been revamped  with the unfortunate result that essential items such as the wikis are no longer available.

Here's what I think... Thats only temporay.

Think that's because Charlie has been on holiday, and Gordon is very busy

Same as above.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »

That was a matter of necessity.   We were unable to update Xoops because of the phpwiki and phpbb mods.  Let's just say it was proven many times to be not secure.

The forum is for really here for community (peer) support - Development issues (bugs) should go in the bug tracker.  I think it's unfortunate that Charlie has to wade through forum posts to find unreported bugs, as an example.

Where do we go from there?

That's probably partially because of the lack of a link to the bug tracker from the forums. (Edit - just added a link at the top - does my graphic look ok? ;-) )

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »
Quote from: "psc"
Just a short question:

Who are the shareholders of SME Server Inc ?

It is a non-profit corporation registered in Colorado.  There are 5 directors, Gordon, Paul, myself and Garret and Vivian from Ruffdogs.  I will see about getting that paperwork put online at smeserver.org.

woyzeck

New Forums
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »
Y We aren't quite done moving the forums though, they will soon be at forums.contribs.org, and contribs.org will redirect to smeserver.org.

Great!  Thanks for the update.  Keep up the good work.

Pacjack

New Forums
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 10:50:45 PM »
Any reason why I have to login 4 times a day at this forum? :wink:

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 11:06:35 PM »
Quote from: "Pacjack"
Any reason why I have to login 4 times a day at this forum? :wink:

Yah, I can confirm that with Internet Explorer.  Firefox 1.5 remembers me and automatically logs me in, IE doesn't.  Can you report a bug in the Bug Tracker (link at the top) please in the "contribs.org web site" product/category.  Thanks.

Pacjack

New Forums
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
Can you report a bug in the Bug Tracker (link at the top) please in the "contribs.org web site" product/category.  Thanks.

Done, see here. Good luck!

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 01:55:35 AM »
gregswallow

> That's probably partially because of the lack of a link to the bug tracker > from the forums. (Edit - just added a link at the top - does my graphic > look ok? ;-) )

Looks good !
How about creating a similar link to smeserver.org site please ?

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 02:46:24 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
How about creating a similar link to smeserver.org site please ?

Done.  Thanks.

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
New Forums
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2006, 03:14:12 AM »
Hi

I might be going blind here ...

Where is the section for all the links to the contribs that ppl have done.

Regards,

Tib

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 03:51:24 AM »
Tib

> Where is the section for all the links to the contribs that ppl have done.

Links are not there yet as far as I can tell as the new site is still under development but the ibiblio stuff is still there.
See
http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver//contribs/

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 11:30:38 AM »
Can we have the hammer and drinking smilies back... pretty please.
Regards,
William

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »
william_syd

> Can we have the hammer and drinking smilies back

I think all the emoticons should be disabled.

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
Why do smeserver.org is based on Joomla?
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »

I' am asking this because I make websites to some clients either using  Joomla or Drupal.
Both are 2 good pieces of CMS (content management systems) but for smeserver.org I would recommend Drupal because:
    - It has integrated forums. Yes, we can have a single sign in to forums and other stuff;
    - Google (and other search engines) do like Drupal sites a lot, specially when compared with Joomla sites;
    - Drupal extensions/addons are much better integrated with its core functions.
    - Drupal has collaborative tools to write documentation (similar to wikis).

If someone from Contribs.org, SME Server Inc or Ruffdogs wants my help I would be glad to assist.

Cheers,
Nuno Rafael Gomes
Learning everyday from everyday problems...

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
Re: Why do smeserver.org is based on Joomla?
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
Quote from: "ngomes"

I' am asking this because I make websites to some clients either using  Joomla or Drupal.
Both are 2 good pieces of CMS (content management systems) but for smeserver.org I would recommend Drupal because:
    - It has integrated forums. Yes, we can have a single sign in to forums and other stuff;

Do you have a howto or contrib for Drupal. on SME Server 7.0?
/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
Nuno,
SMEServer.org is not going to have integrated forums or be editable by the community, but you're right about the google stuff - we do need to turn on the SEF feature that is built in, but not enabled.  So we don't really need any of those features you like in Drupal.

There will be a new wiki at contribs.org again soon for the community to use.

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
Do you have a howto or contrib for Drupal. on SME Server 7.0?

No I don't. I usually install Drupal (or Joomla) on a standard Centos Server located on a datacenter.

I never tried to install Drupal (or Jommla) on top of a SME Server.

I only use SME Server for running services like Samba, Qmail and Windows Authentication on local networks.

Anyway, I think it is irrelevant which OS is running contribs.org or smeserver.org websites, as long as they are Centos, Red Hat or the SME Server itself.

Regards,
Nuno Rafael Gomes

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 05:13:23 PM »
SMEServer.org is not going to have integrated forums or be editable by the community, but you're right about the google stuff - we do need to turn on the SEF feature that is built in, but not enabled.  So we don't really need any of those features you like in Drupal.
There will be a new wiki at contribs.org again soon for the community to use.

Greg,

In the past I have advocated a Contribs.org 'CMS change' from Xoops to Drupal due to some good reasons (just search the forums). I still think that we (as a community) do need the kind of tools Drupal provides for whatever website SME Server is related (contribs.org or smeserver.org).

From my experience, the framework behind a website is an important tool to enhance user collaboration/interaction and a great community. You can try that on Joomla but you will never be successfull.

Greg please, take just a couple of hours and visit Drupal and the Drupal Sites Directory, study it and build your own opinion about Drupal 'fitness' for your/our purposes.

Regards,
Nuno Rafael Gomes

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 01:17:17 AM »
Quote from: "william_syd"
Can we have the hammer and drinking smilies back... pretty please.

Sorry Ray, just restoring the previous functionality ;-)
:pint: :hammer:

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 10:08:34 AM »
greg swallow

> Sorry Ray, just restoring the previous functionality

No worries, it just seemed like a lot of beer drinking was going on while trying to install sme server !

A suggestion re phpBB2 forum software. You may prefer to moderate user subscriptions to prevent or limit to some degree these type of postings
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=33787.0

Still, that would just mean an admin has to waste time removing undesirable users who have registered but are pending approval to post.

There is a mod that amends the way users can register, and the details will only appear in the phpBB mysql db after moderator approval.
If they are not approved (as they are suss) then they do not appear in the database, so do not need to be deleted.

See the phpBB site, mods section.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"

If they are not approved (as they are suss) then they do not appear in the database, so do not need to be deleted.

I've noticed that most suss users on a phpBB board have have adult web sites attached to their profile.
Regards,
William

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 10:39:34 AM »
william_syd

> I've noticed that most suss users on a phpBB board have have adult
> web sites attached to their profile

Yes I agree with that observation, or maybe a cheap medical drugs web site.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away..

Dang... was looking at that yesterday to see who else was in Sydney.
Regards,
William

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
Yes - the "captcha" in phpbb is not effective anymore, as I can tell.  

I am going to install a mod to improve the captcha (EDIT -done, looks much harder for an OCR program to crack it now)

interesting reading here - http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away.

Sorry, that was apparently an easy source of emails for spammers.  A phpbb security site recommended to remove it.  There are some mods to protect the email addresses though - I'l look into that.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
New Forums
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 03:10:22 AM »
In the past I have advocated a Contribs.org 'CMS change' from Xoops to Drupal due to some good reasons (just search the forums). I still think that we (as a community) do need the kind of tools Drupal provides for whatever website SME Server is related (contribs.org or smeserver.org).

I've looked into drupal and am not that impressed with it.  Yes it does have a lot of apparent features but lacks a lot of things necessary to effectively manage a large group of individuals.  If you are running a small site with a few people it might be good.

I've loaded the contribs.org data into drupal and found that it ran very slow.  In addition to running slow it lacks many of the permissions/rights settings that we need.  These might be able to be accomplished using plugins/hacks but then we are in the same boat as we were with xoops.  We don't have a full time staff to watch and maintain security patches and keep making hacks (let alone remembering what hacks have been made).

From my experience, the framework behind a website is an important tool to enhance user collaboration/interaction and a great community. You can try that on Joomla but you will never be successfull.

I agree that having a framework would be good but first and foremost we need to have a secure site.  Be assured that we are looking for alternatives and doing the best we can.

-Shad
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
While looking at phpbb mods I came across this website that uses a software called mx-system, that basically uses data from phpbb, apparently without being integrated with it.  Looks pretty cool:
http://www.wifiwinnipeg.ca/

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
Oh dear... being able to look at the memberlist has been taken away..

Dang... was looking at that yesterday to see who else was in Sydney.

It's back now - I fixed phpbb so you have to be logged in to view the memberlist, groups, or people's profiles.  So people can feel safe now to put their email address and it will only be seen by activated users, not google or spam bots. (EDIT - typo)

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2006, 02:25:57 AM »
Quote from: "phpBB ACP"
User email via board
Users send email to each other via this board

The above setting in the ACP hides the mailto link in the memberlist and the Email button.
Regards,
William

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2006, 03:07:10 AM »
> The above setting in the ACP hides the mailto link in the memberlist and the Email button.

Yes, but it also turns on email messaging via the board, which we (I) don't want.

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
Quote from: "slords"
I've looked into drupal and am not that impressed with it.  Yes it does have a lot of apparent features but lacks a lot of things necessary to effectively manage a large group of individuals.  If you are running a small site with a few people it might be good.

I've loaded the contribs.org data into drupal and found that it ran very slow.  In addition to running slow it lacks many of the permissions/rights settings that we need.  These might be able to be accomplished using plugins/hacks but then we are in the same boat as we were with xoops.  We don't have a full time staff to watch and maintain security patches and keep making hacks (let alone remembering what hacks have been made).

I totally disagree with you on all points, Shad. But I will not refute your argumentation. Let me just point a very good series of articles from IBM about CMS (content management systems) and Drupal in particular:

Using open source software to design, develop, and deploy a collaborative Web site

And if you have time to read (very very long threads) here's some user reviews and comparations between Joomla and Drupal:

Joomla Forum: Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion)
Drupal Forum: How does Drupal compare to Mambo?

And an article (also very long) about Drupal disadvantages:

Drupal Forum: The Drupal Disadvantage in 4.7.3 Version

Quote from: "slords"
I agree that having a framework would be good but first and foremost we need to have a secure site.  Be assured that we are looking for alternatives and doing the best we can.

I' am sure you are. My current inputs are for the best of reasons: I love SME Server, I love the developpers work and support (Gordon, Charlie, you and all others in here ) and I love this community. I just want that our management board will choose the right web framework for the next years.

Regards,
Nuno Rafael Gomes

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
Nuno.  Please don't worry about what software smeserver.org uses.  No one but editors of that website will ever be able to log in.  It is basically just a static site.

I don't even think contribs.org needs a CMS like Joomla or Drupal.  It has forums and will soon have a new wiki.  We may want to make the login to the wiki use the existing phpbb usernames/passwords and not allow signups only to the wiki, but we don't want to integrate either with a CMS.

guest22

New Forums
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:24 AM »
I wonder what the hurry was behind the sudden change of contribs.org.

There are about a zillion of bookmarks and posts out that refer to non existing content anymore. There are thousands of people relying on the contribs.org wiki from day to day.

Looking at this thread and arguments, there must be a good reason for the current changes, timing and consequenses. I have been watching over contribs.org many years an actually created the framework as it was (using Xoops) Shad made excellent adjustments for global search and account integration, and I wonder what was not functioning (besides security updates that can be done manually and create time to launch a new portal)

Right now, contribs.org has been replaced with the basic phpbb and static pages are moved to smeserver.org (using joomla). I really miss the contribs.org portal as it was. It was my one stop shop for everything regarding SME Server.

I never would have done these changes, although understand the need for changes. I simply would have done it differently. But then again, I agreed to resign in favour of ruffdogs taking over and more importantly for the SME Server to survive and provide a true portal to the community.

I am disappointed but await the end users improvements.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
New Forums
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »
RequestedDeletion & others

> I wonder what the hurry was behind the sudden change of contribs.org.
> I am disappointed but await the end users improvements.

I no nothing of the behind the scenes reasons for the changes other than any comments published here. It seems that security & maintenance may be significant issues. There also seems to be a desire to tidy up & present information that is current & accurate.
Those pulling the strings I'm sure had good reasons to make the "sudden" change as you call it.

I suggest not to be disappointed but to in fact be expectant of the good to come. Change sometimes takes time, so just be patient.

Offline del

• +0/-0
New Forums
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »
Hi Greg,
It's back now - I fixed phpbb so you have to be logged in to view the memberlist, groups, or people's profiles. So people can feel safe now to put their email address and it will only be seen by activated users, not google or spam bots

Can you tell me where I can get info on how to do this?
Thanks,
Del :pint:
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
> Can you tell me where I can get info on how to do this?

These two mods:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=303691
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=358975

This is the other one I installed, and seems to be working well to keep the bots out:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=344831

Janm

New Forums
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 03:53:17 PM »
Hi Greg
i am being asked to point to ImageMagick when installing phpbb
where is this installed in sme 7 i have installed it via
yum enablerepo=base install ImageMagick
and its there so what do i write fks
/usr/lib/ImageMagick  just a maybe ??

Janm

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
New Forums
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »
Quote from: "Janm"
Hi Greg
i am being asked to point to ImageMagick when installing phpbb
where is this installed in sme 7 i have installed it via
yum enablerepo=base install ImageMagick
and its there so what do i write fks
/usr/lib/ImageMagick  just a maybe ??

Janm
Imagemagick consists of multiple binaries, but none of them is called ImageMagick. Normally you only need to point to the directory as the executables are known/coded in your application. Usually ImageMagick binaries are installed in /usr/bin/
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Janm

New Forums
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
Thanks Cactus
I am trying phpbb 3 for now
Janm

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 11:49:17 PM »
> I am trying phpbb 3 for now

Please ask for help on the phpbb3 forum.  They warn you not to use that on a live server, so I'd stick with v2 if I were you.  It has been in beta for a year I think so don't hold your breath waiting for 3.0 final...

Janm

New Forums
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2006, 12:15:13 AM »
Hi greg
I just did a little comparing to phpBB 3- phpBB 2 as i have this on another server
running here local no users other than me :-)
you know anything new is like getting christmas pressent before time
Thanks for the warning by the way
Jan denmark

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2006, 06:52:38 AM »
irc://irc.freenode.net/sme-en (English)
irc://irc.freenode.net/sme-fr (French)

William, I'm not familiar with freenode or irc in general really.  Do you, or can you get logs of the discussion on the channel?  I was looking at chat room options for contribs.org and freenode seems like a pretty easy solution, and unlike the previous flashchat, irc has more options to connect.  I could easily make a link that would appear in the top menu like this to their java chat client:
http://java.freenode.net/index.php?channel=sme-en&nick=gregswallow&go=1
...but customized with the logged in user's username of course.

Janm

New Forums
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2006, 03:57:02 AM »
Hej Greg
Just installed SMF FORUM to try this also online now

Nothing much there only just default started

From my early post howto

Howto install SMF forum software on SMEserver 7.0 Final
Just download the latest version and wait
until you have prepared your server for it.
http://www.simplemachines.org/
----------------------------------------------------------
Install :phpmyadmin.rpm for smeserver
wget http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/dmay/smeserver/7.x/smeserver-phpmyadmin-2.6.4-pl4.dmay.noarch.rpm
yum localinstall smeserver-phpmyadmin-2.6.4-pl4.dmay.noarch.rpm
go in server-manager
Create, i-bays smf
Information bay name smf
Description
Group AdminEveryoneadminsgroup (admins)
User access via file sharing or user ftp
Write = admin,
Read = group everyone
Public access via web or anonymous ftp
Entire Internet (no password required)
Execution of dynamic content (CGI, PHP, SSI) enabled
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
go in phpmyadmin
create new user admin
localhost
use your admin password 2x
-----------------------------
create smf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MySQL
Make new database: smf
and close phpmyadmin
-----------------------------
After that install the program SMF
unpack it and upload the files to your server smf/html/
delete index.htm first
and go to your servers ip addresse and answer the question
you will get there from the installer and continue inst

The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777:
attachments
Packages
Packages/installed.list
Packages/server.list
Smileys
Themes
Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php
agreement.txt
Settings.php
Settings_bak.php
install.php

janm  :oops:

Offline nate

• +0/-0
    • http://www.solardepot.com
New Forums
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2006, 06:29:33 AM »
can someone explain to me why we can't call it e-smith?
....Making the Jump to 7.x   8-)

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »
irc://irc.freenode.net/sme-en (English)
irc://irc.freenode.net/sme-fr (French)

William, I'm not familiar with freenode or irc in general really.  Do you, or can you get logs of the discussion on the channel?  I was looking at chat room options for contribs.org and freenode seems like a pretty easy solution, and unlike the previous flashchat, irc has more options to connect.  I could easily make a link that would appear in the top menu like this to their java chat client:
http://java.freenode.net/index.php?channel=sme-en&nick=gregswallow&go=1
...but customized with the logged in user's username of course.

Sorry Greg, I missed your post.

I don't think you can log a channel from within freenode. You have to sit a logbot in it to capture the conversation.

After seeing your post I thought I would give it a try. Heres what it looks like using 'off the shelf' software.
https://secure.magicwilly.info/irc/

The logger is from here.
http://www.jibble.org/logbot/

Freenode had this to say about channel logging...
Quote from: "Freenode"
If you're considering publishing channel logs, think it through.  The freenode network is an interactive environment. Even on public channels, most users don't weigh their comments with the idea that they'll be enshrined in perpetuity. For that reason, few participants publish logs.

If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel topic should reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to make comments without logging, and get permission from the channel owners before you start. If you're thinking of "anonymizing" your logs (removing information that identifies the specific users), be aware that it's difficult to do it well—replies and general context often provide identifying information which is hard to filter.

If you just want to publish a single conversation, be careful to get permission from each participant. Provide as much context as you can. Avoid the temptation to publish or distribute logs without permission in order to portray someone in a bad light. The reputation you save will most likely be your own.
Regards,
William

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2006, 07:33:29 AM »
> Freenode had this to say about channel logging...

I don't think privacy is a big issue.  If we did log the channel, I think having a message when you logged in saying 'This channel is being logged.  A searchable archive is here: xxx' would be suficcient.

I think the search function is the most important part.  I saw a different logbot software here:
http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_logs
No download though that I can find...

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
New Forums
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »
Regards,
William

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
New Forums
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2006, 08:38:09 PM »
Yup, this is what it's derived from:
http://colas.nahaboo.net/software/irclogger/

Do you want to try that out?  The demo (#twiki) log's search functions either don't work or are very slow, where the irclogger2 search is very fast.  I emailed the irclogger2 author by the way and asked nicely for the source code.