Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"freshclam: Update failed"

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
    • http://Cvlcc.com
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »
Hi All

I running SME Server 7.0 that I down loaded from the site. But just recently For a week I have been receiving emails with a subject line saying "freshclam: Update failed" anonymous@mydomain.com with no body. every hour

I followed all the forums about this subject and no concrete answer to solving the problem. I have tried this below and gotten this answer:
#cd /var
#chown -R clamav:clamav clamav
Now try it:
#/usr/bin/freshclam
And Got this:
ERROR: Cant't Query Current.cvd.clamav.net
ERROR: Cant't Query Current.cvd.clamav.net
Warning:Invalid DCS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Warning:Invalid DCS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
ERROR:can't get information about dbus.clamav.net temporary DNS ERROR
ERROR:can't get information about dbus.clamav.net temporary DNS ERROR

Then I tried this:
mkdir clamav
cd clamav
wget http://sme.swerts-knudsen.com/downloads/AntiVirus/antivirus_install.sh
and got this reply:
Resolving sme.swerts-knudsen.com…failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.

Can anyone give me a strait line by line answer to resolve this problem?
My we all be so humbled, To ask the questions and get straight answers. Sooner than later. Thank You For Your Time

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:33:19 AM »
Don't try and install swert-knudsons AV contrib on SME7. It will not work on SME7.

Your problem will be a DNS issue. Probably with your ISP. On 17th Aug a new main.cvd update for clamav was pushed out but it appears that the DNS record did not fully propagate to all ISP's or some ISP's have not updated their DNS records.

Check bug 1861 http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1861

Jon

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:47:26 AM »
Is there another place to download the files or folders to coreect this problem.
Any recommendation would be helpful. Someone must have found a solution. I donloaded the file from: http://sme.swerts-knudsen.com/downloads/AntiVirus/antivirus_install.sh on my : windows machine. I Have WinSCP, I can get to root, but I don't where to load the file to? So I loaded antivirus_install.sh to root/clamav/antivirus_install.sh Now what do I do?
My we all be so humbled, To ask the questions and get straight answers. Sooner than later. Thank You For Your Time

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:01:51 AM »
Did you not read my post above. DO NOT INSTALL SWERTS-KNUDSONS AV CONTRIB. It is incompatible with SME7.

DO READ THE BUG that I listed as there are instructions on how to change the clamav database mirror which will resolve your problem.

Your problem is external to SME7 and is a problem with your ISP DNS servers.

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »
I read the file marked /var/log/freshclam/current. It shows that you got it fixed. But it dose't show how you did it line by line could you shoe me that?

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:38:41 AM »
Scroll the page down till you get to comment#15. The answer is there.

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »
Jon
I see this:
To change the database to say the US database from console do

#db configuration setprop clamav DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net
#expand-template /etc/freshclam.conf
#svc -t /service/freshclam

I'm a little slow I'm a novis at this, but lear quickly.
Starting at
[root@name  ~]#db configuration setprop clamav DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net
[root@name  ~]#expand-template /etc/freshclam.conf
[root@name  ~]#svc -t /service/freshclam

Is this right?

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
cvicc,

Correct but don't type in the hash #. That just indicates it is command prompt.

Jon

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
Jon

Starting at
[root@name ~]#db configuration setprop clamav DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net <good>
[root@name ~]#expand-template /etc/freshclam.conf <good>
[root@name ~]#svc -t /service/freshclam
svc option: u up, d down, o once, x exit, p pause, c contenue, h hup, a alarm, i interrupt, t term, k kill

Something went wrong. What did I do wrong?

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
Jon

Starting at
[root@name ~]#db configuration setprop clamav DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net <good>
svc:illegal option -- /
svc option: u up, d down, o once, x exit, p pause, c contenue, h hup, a alarm, i interrupt, t term, k kill

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »
You need a space between the "t" and the "/"
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 11:34:39 AM »
Jon

Starting at
svc:illegal option -- /

Then tried : #svc -t  /service/freshclam
answer : -bash: scv-t: command not found

Then I tried :#svc t  /service/freshclam
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    answer : svc:warning: unable to chdir to t: file dos not exist

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 02:35:53 PM »
pfloor told you what the problem was.

The command should be

Code: [Select]
svc -t /service/freshclam

however freshclam should have done an update anyway. If you are still getting error messages then you might need to use a different mirror.

Where are you located?

Jon

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 07:21:35 PM »
cvicc:

Make sure you type the cmmand correctly, I now notice it looks like you are may be missing another space, try this:

svc<SPACE>-t<SPACE>/service/freshclam
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline cvlcc

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 09:25:57 PM »
Thank You Pfloor and Jon
The full Answer Solved
Starting at:

[root@name ~]#db configuration setprop clamav DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net
[root@name ~]#expand-template /etc/freshclam.conf
[root@name ~]#svc -t  /service/freshclam

This is for any one that needs to resolve thire Antivirus updates without the [root@name ~]#