Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mailman contrib?

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 06:20:01 PM »
I was running into similar problems with a clean 7.0 box (mailman worked in my upgraded 7.0 box using the old 6.0 contribs...).

I've installed
mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3sme01
smeserver-mailman-1.3.0-14

I did not create any lists* virtual domains.  Creating lists using the /usr/lib/mailman/bin/addlist script created a list, but did not do all the smeserver related stuff.

What I did do is in a browser, to http://mydomain.com/mailman and used the links to create a list... AND IT WORKED!  So its using the FQDN to process.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it to recognize my old lists....

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »
Quote from: "jahlewis"

Now I just have to figure out how to get it to recognize my old lists....

I had to rename my list with "-" in its name, and then copy over the members, using the bulk subscribe facility, then go through and set up the parameters as required.
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 07:17:07 PM »
I'm trying desperately to not have to manually recreate my lists.  In the past, the lists were stored in /usr/lib/mailman/lists

Where are they stored now?  I can't seem to find them.

My old lists are in /home/e-smith/db/accounts
They are in /var/qmail/users/assign
I put the old list files in /usr/lib/mailman/lists

When I send mail to an old list, /var/log/mailman/error says:
Code: [Select]
Oct 22 13:06:35 2006 post(4609): post script, list not found: lewis

in /var/log/qmail/current
@40000000453ba52332cb0b4c starting delivery 1250: msg 6031282 to local alias-localdelivery-lewis@arachnerd.com
@40000000453ba52338be7f34 info msg 6031231: bytes 2147 from <lewisjo@ntelos.com> qp 4606 uid 400
@40000000453ba523392da83c starting delivery 1251: msg 6031231 to local lewis@gluon.arachnerd.com
@40000000453ba525071fb13c delivery 1251: deferral: post_script,_list_not_found:_lewis/
@40000000453ba5880663c7c4 starting delivery 1252: msg 6031231 to local lewis@gluon.arachnerd.com
@40000000453ba5881283383c delivery 1252: deferral: post_script,_list_not_found:_lewis/

so...
1) where does mailman know about which lists exist?  I'm happy to edit manually if it is not derived from db/accounts
2) is anyone using archiving messages?  the new list I just created, which works for sending and recieving mail, does not keep archives...

And if I have to recreate manually, do I need to remove them from db/accounts first?

Mailman is a great mailing list manager, allowing people to self manage their lists using nicely documented web pages.  I'd really like to get it back and running, and am happy to test etc.

Thanks.

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 09:17:37 PM »
Even creating a new list with the same name as an old is not consistent...

Here is an error I get creating a list that used to exist (as in the alias files exist already, and it is already in the db/accounts
[root@gluon mailman]# bin/newlist prospace-board
Enter the email of the person running the list: jnlewis@arachnerd.com
Initial prospace-board password:
Invalid list name prospace-board at /usr/lib/mailman/bin/smelist line 25.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/newlist", line 219, in ?
    main()
  File "bin/newlist", line 186, in main
    sys.modules[modname].create(mlist)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/SME.py", line 43, in create
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/lib/mailman/bin/smelist addlist prospace-board (status: 255, Unknown error 255)

but it creates the list.  bin/rmlist error's out with the same message, but does not remove the list

Notice this list has a "-" in the name.  When I created a list without the "-", it created fine.

Creating a list via the webpage remembers what domain you created it in.  Creating it from the command line puts it in the default domain.

Oh how I wish I new where mailman stores this information...

-JL

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 05:20:57 PM »
I'm back to trying to work with mailman on my 7.1 server.
I'm using: mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3sme01 smeserver-mailman-1.3.0-14

When trying to remove a list in /opt/mailman/bin I get:

[root@gluon bin]# ./rmlist Prospace-Board
Not removing archives.  Reinvoke with -a to remove them.
Invalid list name prospace-board at /usr/lib/mailman/bin/smelist line 25.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./rmlist", line 153, in ?
    main()
  File "./rmlist", line 121, in main
    sys.modules[modname].remove(mlist)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/SME.py", line 55, in remove
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/lib/mailman/bin/smelist rmlist prospace-board (status: 255, Unknown error 255)

Not sure how do do this manually.  Any ideas?

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
Fixed with upgrade - ignore previous post...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
After searching for "mailman" in the bug tracker, then googling "smeserver-mailman-1.3.0-15" in google, I discovered that the updated mailman rpms are in smedev.

So I installed them:
yum --enablerepo=smedev update mailman smeserver-mailman

Which upgraded me to:
mailman-2.1.5.1-34.0.el4.sme
smeserver-mailman-1.3.0-15.el4.sme

I am now able to remove lists with hyphens in them.  AWESOME!!!  Thanks Gordon!

PS. I notice there are a bunch of rpms I can upgrade in smedev, most of which have same versions but with el4 as part of the rpm name.  How do I find out what the changes are for these RPM's to decide whether they are worth the risk of applying to a production box?

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 01:36:16 AM »
> whether they are worth the risk of applying to a production box?

NO, the smedev repo is almost certain to cause problems

individual rpms may be OK, (if they aren't they don't get release to the testing repo) but even they can pull in updates of dependancies wich will break your server

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
Re: Fixed with upgrade - ignore previous post...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 01:52:25 AM »

PS. I notice there are a bunch of rpms I can upgrade in smedev, most of which have same versions but with el4 as part of the rpm name.  How do I find out what the changes are for these RPM's to decide whether they are worth the risk of applying to a production box?

Go to the repodata directory of the repository your interested in....

Eg.
http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/releases/7.1/smedev/i386/repodata/repoview/smeserver-mailman-0-1.3.0-15.el4.sme.html

This will give you a little info.

Note the number after SME: in the changelog. This is the bug entry for that change.
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: Fixed with upgrade - ignore previous post...
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »

I am now able to remove lists with hyphens in them.  AWESOME!!!  Thanks Gordon!

No worries. I hope to get smeserver-mailman into the (soon to be created) smeextras repository soonish for all to share. Thanks.

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »
Great!  Excellent idea. Looking forward to it.

After looking around the smedev repository, i saw some ones that I'm interested in, and would love yum to manage their updates and dependencies.  Mailman, RT and sme7admin in particular.  Are the RT contribs in smedev ready to roll?  I'm wanting to install a ticket tracker, and have been waiting for RT rather than use some of the PHP versions.

So contribs that are extra, and production ready will be stored in the smeextra's repository, and managed by the contrib owners?

bmoore

mailman and migrating old lists
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
greetings.  Okay, I installed the latest versions of mailman and smeserver-mailman from the sme-dev archives.  all seems to be working except for the migration of my old lists from my 6.0 production box.
If I run the genaliases command by hand, I get a complete list on screen.  HOwever, I can't figure out how to get the alaises to work. when I try and send a message to an existing list, I get a delivery failure.  Not sure where this stuff is stored now.  If I can avoid recreating 14 lists by hand, I wouldbe really happyy.  This is getting somewhat urgent because the old hardware is starting to go I think and I can not install 6.0 on my new dell poweredge box cause it is using sata drives and 6.0 didn't recognize the new raid card.

I have copied all the list files from the old server /opt/mailman/lists to the new location which seems to be /var/lib/mailman/lists.  Have done the same with archives.  there must be an easy way to migrate old lists but I'm stuck at the moment.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.
rian.

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »
Probably the fastest answer is to search... I found this:

------- Comment #1 From Gordon Rowell 2006-03-08 20:04 [reply] -------

(In reply to comment #0)
> [...]
> This server has an existing mailman installation, which seems to be a problem
> for this package.

Yes. As noted in the changelog of the package, we need to perform a migration
of the data to /var/lib/mailman

It's something like this:

cd /opt
mv mailman mailman.old
cd mailman.old
mkdir /var/lib/mailman
mv archives data lists spam /var/lib/mailman

mkdir /usr/lib/mailman/aliases
mv aliases/.??* /usr/lib/mailman/aliases

from
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=987
Craig

bmoore

Mailman contrib?
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 03:05:51 AM »
Greetings.  thanks to Craig's post, I finally have migrated my old lists from my sme 6.0.101 box and have them working.  Whilethere might be an easier way, this worked for me.  I created a tar archive of the mailman folder from my sme 6 box and moved it to a fresh install of 7.1 after recreating all my user accounts.  I then moved the lists, archives, data and spam directories from /opt/mailman to /var/lib/mailman.

Then installed the latest versions of the mailman rpms from the dev repo.  Despite moving the aliases from /opt/mailman/aliases to /usr/lib/mailman/aliases, my lists still did not work.  If I sent a message, got a delivery failure with no such mailbox.  

Here is what I did to get them working again.  By hand, I removed each list including its archive with /usr/lib/mailman/rmlist -a listname and thenre-created the same lists with /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist

IN order not to have to replace all the settings, memberships etc, I then copied the old lists directory back and restarted mailman.  NOw, all my lists work again.  

ON the old system, I had added the htdig and mhonarc programs for archiving which create a slightly nicer set of archives than the standard ones generated by pipermail but I haven't worked out yet how to get that bit back in.  I have the rpms which I installed on my sme 6 box but I don't know how to generate the cron jobs correctly and I have to work out where to tell mailman to use an external archiver but that is a project for next week when I have more time.

Brian.

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
Mailman contrib?
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »
I'm not sure about the archiving, but the cron jobs should be working from the mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3sme01 rpm.  Which set of packages do you have for mailman?

rpm -qa | grep mailman
smeserver-mailman-1.3.0-14
mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3sme01

I know there have been several bugs (most I think are resolved) logged in the bug tracker for mailman/sme7.

Craig

bmoore

archiving
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 04:32:44 AM »
HI craig.  Mailman works correctly.  It was only the archiving bit I wasn't sure about.  I think all the mailman bugs are worked out from what I can tell by reading the bug tracker.  I was trying to figure out how to install htdig and mhonarc and get them to work correctly.  It can be done, will just take a little playing to get it working nicely.  Mailman itself seems to be doing all it should.
Brian.