Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

domains and hostnames question

AidansDad

« on: August 04, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »
So here's the scenario.  I have two buildings that have their own SME box and interent connection.  DomainA (192.168.10.0/24) and DomainB (192.168.20.0/24.) they operate independantly of each other except to share one common file share area and message board.  this was easy to setup....no problems.  Since I have a router between them, I just added an entry into the local networks of each server that routed traffic to the other domain through the router between them.

my problem, is that after setting this all up and being happy with how it's working, I was hit with the question of whether users from domainA could email users from domainB

so obviously that brings me to name resolution issues.  how do accomplish this.  the hostnames panel only allows me to add hostnames in the domain the sme server resides (ie ftp.domaina)

I need to be able to setup a DNS entry to say that "*.DomainB" resides at 192.168.20.0/24

so when user1@domaina sends an email to user2@domainb it still routes through the local lan and router, not the internet.

any and all help is always appreciated.

AidansDad

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 11:58:34 PM »
I have it half sorted out.

one of the servers is version 7 and the corporateDNS settings work rather well for it.....entering the first corporate DNS entry as itself and the secondary as the other domains sme server.

that one is on 6.5RC1 though.  so I either need to upgrade to 7 to have it work completely or I'll try a forwarder on it and see if it works.