Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Local hosts Dynamic DNS

Offline gelcube

• +0/-0
    • http://www.ninetails.net
Local hosts Dynamic DNS
« on: August 03, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »
Please, someone, if there's already a contrib or howto on this, let me know.  I don't like re-inventing the wheel.  

Basically, I need the ability to update tinydns with my DHCP workstation's hostnames and addresses.  I found a perl program on the net that pulls the dhcpd.leases file, parses it, and merges it with tinydns's data file.  I don't know perl, so I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how it does what it does, but that's the gist of it.  

It works great.  As soon as the program is run, I'm able to ping any local station by its FQDN, and the workstations themselves have nothing to do with the process.  It also does not mess up any static IPs I have setup in the "Hostnames and Addresses" server manager panel.  But I have three issues that I want to get resolved before I write a howto on it.

First, the "Hostnames and Addresses" server manager panel regenerates the "data" file in the /var/services/tinydns/root folder when you change, add, or remove hostnames.  Is there a way to put this info instead in the "static.mydomain.com" file?  If not, how would I go about adding a command that renames the "data" file after the panel finishes?

Second, the perl program needs to run at startup.  What's the best way to do this?  

Third, where is the reverse DNS info on the local zones kept?