Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backup2WS How To?

Valien

Backup2WS How To?
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a client that's running 6.x and having the 3.99 GB backup problem. From reading here it looks like I need this file -

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/SME6Contribs

Backup2WS.

I've downloaded the RPM's, and also saw the SRPM's - do I need those too?

Also, is there a how-to or documentation on installing backup2ws? I couldn't find anything here at all.

I rarely use Linux anymore (we have gotten out of this market) and this is a church that has the 6.x box that we still support from time to time (about once a year).

so I'm a little linux rusty. :)

Thanks for the help.

~Allen

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Backup2WS How To?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:03:03 AM »
Valien

Copy required rpm(s) to a empty folder on your sme server.
Login as root or a user with sudo privileges
cd to the folder
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
backup2ws will install

open server manager, configure backup2ws
Note a 911 job will backup everything needed to restore the whole server to a newly installed OS, so this job is a must.
Make sure you tell the job to split the file to less than 2Gb chunks, so you don't have restore problems trying to do restores from files larger than 2Gb.
You can configure other jobs if required.
The settings in backup2ws are pretty self explanatory, you don't really need a manual.
Search here on backup2ws or backup2 or backup for more information as there have been many posts on the subject

aussie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 04:16:22 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
Valien

Copy required rpm(s) to a empty folder on your sme server.
Login as root or a user with sudo privileges
cd to the folder
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
backup2ws will install

open server manager, configure backup2ws
Note a 911 job will backup everything needed to restore the whole server to a newly installed OS, so this job is a must.
Make sure you tell the job to split the file to less than 2Gb chunks, so you don't have restore problems trying to do restores from files larger than 2Gb.
(You can configure other jobs if required.
The settings in backup2ws are pretty self explanatory, you don't really need a manual.
Search here on backup2ws or backup2 or backup for more information as there have been many posts on the subject

Hi Ray,
I have seen your help often so wanted to ask re backup -
I have a 6.0b3 that I simply want to backup the whole lot!
(It was backing up to Seagate 8GB tape, but thats stopped working and I cannot find out how to get a new one working -  the new unit is 'found', will provide status with tape in and out but fails to tar.)

So I am thinking dvd - I can manage mondo which is GREAT,
but how do I dump the resulting image onto dvd  or is backup2ws a way to go, 911 style?

There is a custom ibay and cups on this unit so its a try and do low maintenance job (hence flexbackup everything to the tape),
so I would prefer not to upgrade.

all I want is a full backup easy to restore - the used disk is about 1.7GB with little growth

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated -
best regards Robert

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:39:26 AM »
aussie

> I have a 6.0b3

I hope it's not connected to the Internet or accessed remotely or used as a web server, as there were security issues with that release that were fixed in the final 6.0, and there were subsequent security fix releases for the final version a number of times.
Do a CD upgrade to at least v6.0 or v6.01 and then do a
yum update
followed by
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

> ...I simply want to backup the whole lot!

It take it you mean the whole disk with all installed software etc.

Any normal backup solution is not the answer for you.
Tape backs up everything, but does not restore everything, unless you do so manually.

Backup2ws 911 job only backs up the data & config required to restore to a fresh install of the OS, and you will need to reinstall any add on software rpms.

> all I want is a full backup easy to restore

Disk cloning software is your best approach.
You can use dd, do
man dd
for the syntax or even swap out a RAID1 drive.
I don't use Mondo but is sounds like what you may want.

aussie

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 05:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
aussie

> I have a 6.0b3

I hope it's not connected to the Internet or accessed remotely or used as a web server, as there were security issues with that release that were fixed in the final 6.0, and there were subsequent security fix releases for the final version a number of times.
Do a CD upgrade to at least v6.0 or v6.01 and then do a
yum update
followed by
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

> ...I simply want to backup the whole lot!

It take it you mean the whole disk with all installed software etc.

Any normal backup solution is not the answer for you.
Tape backs up everything, but does not restore everything, unless you do so manually.

Backup2ws 911 job only backs up the data & config required to restore to a fresh install of the OS, and you will need to reinstall any add on software rpms.

> all I want is a full backup easy to restore

Disk cloning software is your best approach.
You can use dd, do
man dd
for the syntax or even swap out a RAID1 drive.
I don't use Mondo but is sounds like what you may want.

Thanks Ray,

- I shall update to v6.01 (cups and ibays will be preserved, yes?)AFTER a full mondo backup

- tape is ok for me, I do not mind the restore issue,but do not like disk clone as it is not offsite.

- if the tape still doesnt work after the upgrade, I will persue mondo/dvd
FYI mondo has a hassle in setup (you have to run 'at' to get info for the background acript), but runs with cron resulting in cd or dvd sizes iso(s), the first including boot/restore - mondo rocks!
with 1.7gb and a DVD burner, Ive just gotta get the iso onto the dvd within SME6.01 any ideas?

thanks again Ray :wink:

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 07:19:23 AM »
aussie

> .. update to v6.01 (cups and ibays will be preserved, yes?)

ibays will be and I expect cups would also be, as it is a same version sme release you are upgrading to so the rpms should be compatible. You can check if they are.

> if the tape still doesnt work after the upgrade...

Have you tried cleaning the heads, a common problem with tape drives.

> with 1.7gb and a DVD burner, Ive just gotta get the iso onto the dvd within SME6.01 any ideas?

Commercial software like Norton Ghost will clone a drive to CD or DVD, but depending on the version of Ghost. it has some issues with Linux & RAID partitions. I'm sure there are GPL alternatives if you search.
I don't have the info handy to quote any names.