Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] Cyrus-IMAP for SME 7 Release for testing

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:31:40 AM »
A PST file used as a folder for Toltec has to be 'detached' before connecting to a new or a different server. That explains problem you're having.

The filename referenced in the error messages don't seem to exist on SME7.
Sophie from Montréal

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
    • http://www.westcountrybusiness.com
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 05:03:38 PM »
As Sophie says, you need to detach a folder in Toltec if disconnecting.  What I tend to do is ensure all my Outlook folders are synchronising via Toltec (set frequency as required to balance between update interval and amount of network traffic), so the IMAP folders are pretty much a backup of my users PST files at any time.

When re-installing Outlook or migrating or whatever, I create a blank PST and then on the first synch all data is recovered.  You can of course also Import from an exisiting PST file.  

I try and avoid connecting a PST that contains data with an IMAP folder that also already contain data because that can lead to duplicates.  Once the initial syncronisation is done, its generally pretty reliable.

Offline mudtoe

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 07:42:52 AM »
Yea, I figured that out after I had three of everything.  I had exported a copy of my contacts to a separate PST file before I started messing around with Toltec, and after the duplicaiton happened, I deleted all the contacts, which synched across all three outlooks correctly, and then imported the contacts from the backup PST file into just one of the copies, and then let it synch to the others.  

After that it seems that things are working OK.  The only odd thing that I've noticed is that it seems like if you add or change a contact or calendar item, it doesn't synch right away unless you hit the synch button.  I've got toltec set to synch on startup, when selecting a folder, and every 30 minutes for calendar and tasks, and every 180 minutes for contacts.  I'm not synching email items, I just left those as generic IMAP.  

mudtoe

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:11 PM »
Quote from: "mudtoe"
I've noticed is that it seems like if you add or change a contact or calendar item, it doesn't synch right away unless you hit the synch button.

You're right.  It synchs according to the frequency settings on the Toltec section of the folder properties.  Bear in mind this means synching with server, not other PCs.  So if you have two users sharing the same calendar and both set to synch every 30 minutes, in theory (worst case) it could take the best part of an hour to work around (30 mins from PC 1 to server & if other PC just synched, best part of another 30 mins till its next sync).

Having said that, its only really a problem if both users remain in that folder (i.e. both have the same calendar open).  The most likely scenario is this - You make an entry in your calendar & then carry on working.  This entry will take 30 mins to sync.  The other person wants to check your calendar, had some other folder open (e.g. their inbox, own calendar etc) & so clicking on your Calendar to view it forces a sych (with synch when selected on).  This is why I generally set frequencies on own folders higher (e.g. every 1, 5 or 10 mins) than on otherusers folders (e.g. every 15 or 30 and when selected).  Of course this will depend on the user environment & which folders are most used.

honmanm

cyrus password in SME's DB
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Jon, thanks for doing the SME7 edition of Cyrus. Just getting into it now.

I saw your note about  storing the cyrus password in the SME database - this would be a great idea. Right now the password stuff is very messy, as the password is embedded in a number of world-readable files.

Although this morning I was inspired by your suggestion and set out to hack it into the software, it turned out to be more complicated (and with more far-reaching consequences) than I had thought.

So in the meantime I've just edited the files and changed the password in them. However if you have in mind a particular way of tackling this task, I'd be glad to do the grunt work. Through right now the SME template system is a "maze of twisty little passages, all alike" and without a bit of guidance I'm more likely to do harm than good!

I've been thinking the best way to integrate this would be to treat "cyrus" much like a normal SME user. However in this particular case the password needs to get set in the db as well as with passwd & smbpasswd. The problem with this is that passwords get set in perl-script-land (/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/esmith/util.pm)... probably not a good idea to be messing around here.

BTW I've found it necessary to change the default quota changed 1000000 in create-accounts, user-create-cyrus and user-create-cyrus-70 (some workgroups have massive systems of shared folders).

I would have liked to change cyrus' shell to /bin/false in /etc/passwd, but unfortunately it's needed by the startup script.

I thought to change the file mode on the /etc/e-smith/actions/ files relating to cyrus, from 554 to 550. But since all of the action scripts are 554 with ownership root:root I'm guessing that this change of file mode would break all sorts of things. Well I'm going to give it a go, easy enough to change back...

One final question. There are a number of files which don't appear to be used... the user-create-unix, user-delete-unix files, as well as the user-create-cyrus-70 and user-delete-cyrus-70 files. If not needed, it would be handy to eliminate these from the file distribution.

Mark

PS I'm using the toltec-ready version of cyrus

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »
Mark,

Glad to hear your using the contrib.  I'll help where I can, but I tend to dive into the code occassionally, undertake a crash-course refresher & then forget it all just as fast (well almost  :D ) - but if I can help, I will.

I thought I'd got rid of all the files that weren't needed, but I think you're right about the files you mention.  They were part of the V6 install & I thought they may have been part of the uninstall, but a quick look would suggest not.

The install script is a pretty good guide.  If its not in there, I'm pretty sure its not needed.

I never did get to grips with the password question - so any suggestions welcome.

I've got to go now, but I'll see if I can grab some time to give your comments some more thought.  In the mean time, if you have any questions - just post.

Cheers
Jon

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »
<can't delete this>
Sophie from Montréal

oblooblo2000

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:09 AM »
I,
great job with your contrib !! very cool !!
Just question, when deleting a mailbox from the sme pannel, when I want to recreate it, it says
Error: The folder user.gilc already exists

Is it normal, because I have to manualy create it in cyadm !!!
I think it's because you check with
Code: [Select]
foreach my $Users (@Users)
    {
        if ( $in{'nom_boite_mail'} eq "user.$Users" )
        {
            $compte_existe = 1;
        }
    }

instead of looking in the database (variable @mailboxes)??? AM i right ??? or there is some infos that are not deleted (folders, files...)???

Now I 've got error when creating shared folder:
Please login first at /etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin/sherwood line 118.
I don't know what I did!
(yet, I reinstall your contrib and it's working again, i think it should be a authentification problem, I changed the cyrus password, maibe different/iamp)

Howaever, is it possible to have the sync with the main pst outlook folders, because alert are not present, our task are not shared (or not sync with mobile device ...)

thanks for all

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
Any comments concerning SME7.1 ?
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 05:23:52 AM »
I've upgraded to 7.1 and no mails are coming in since...

/var/log/qmail/current shows this:
@40000000459dd1b32655be5c delivery 976: deferral: preline:_fatal:_unable_to_run_/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver:_access_denied/preline:_fatal:_unable_to_copy_input:_broken_pipe/
@40000000459dd1b32655d5cc status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

The file "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver" is owned by cyrus:mail (4754)
The file "/var/qmail/bin/preline" is owned by qmail:root (0755)

username/.qmail has:
| preline -f /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver -m "$USER" "$USER"

qmail is: e-smith-qmail-1.10.0-10.el4.sme

I uninstalled cyrus and rebooted, then mail is received ok.
Then I reinstalled cyrus and rebooted...
The only error I got is:
problem connecting to "localhost", port 143: Connexion refused at ./create-accounts line 21

but the install went through with success and mail service is back, with accounts intact.

Summary:
Upgrading to SME7.1 requires to uninstall/reinstall cyrus because I don't know much about Linux.

Note that the server has a lot of addons.
Sophie from Montréal

steveyb

pop3 remote access with SME 7.1.3 Cyrus contrib.
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Hey Jon,

Nice work on the cyrus contrib, I installed the Cyrus-Toltec contrib. for SME 7.0 I’m currently running SME 7.1.3 have problems with remote pop3 access any ideas on how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Reguards,

Steve

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I have a confession to make .. our business has taken a change of direction this year and so deflected focus away from the SME server.

While we still support our existing installs, we haven't done any new development for quite a while, and we've not even moved to 7.1 ourselves.  Personally, I've not worked on the Cyrus contrib since the move to 7.0 (see earlier postings).

So I don't think I'm going to be much help to you, I'm afraid.  If you come up with anything and want to run it past me, please feel free.  I'll do what I can but can't promise anything.

Sorry to be so little help.

Jon

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »
An hypothesis is that POP access being disabled, traffic is also blocked.
Then, you might have to re-enable traffic even if POP/IMAP are disabled from the server-manager.

Example to be adapted:
Code: [Select]
config set POPcustom service status enabled access public TCPPort 110
signal-event remoteaccess-update.
Sophie from Montréal

steveyb

It worked!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »
It worked :D

thanks, Soprom

steveyb

Spoke to soon
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »
Help Sophie,

I spoke too soon, I still cant access pop3 email remotely from outlook. any idels.

Steve

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
My suggestion is not really applicable since POP service is disabled and the server is limited "only" to IMAP. Isn't it by design that POP is not working?

Did you get external access to IMAP though?
Sophie from Montréal