Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HylaFAX & SME7 - latest install and tarball

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chaloner.ca
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:25:23 AM »
The latest version of HylaFAX is up and running nicely on SME7 in a number of commercial installs. It is the simplest install to date...

I have it for download in my FTP area (ftp://chaloner.ca). Download to a temporary directory and extract with;

# tar -xvf *.tar

It is based on the most recent HylaFAX 4.3.0-2 version. First edit S85hylafax and modify your serial device if needed. Then review the install-notes file and run;

# sh install-part-1.sh
# faxsetup
# sh install-part-2.sh

Be sure to follow the final instructions shown in install-part-2.sh which are;

# signal-event post-upgrade
# signal-event reboot

And finally, add a user, pseudonym or group in the server-manager panel called "faxmaster". I prefer using a group and then including the users I want in the group...

Have fun,

Chaloner Hale

Offline psoren

• +0/-0
Re: HylaFAX & SME7 - latest install and tarball
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »
Hi Chal,

Just tried your script on my machine, it works well.

Do you have the Relayfax script that works with SME7 now? :-)

Per

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:21:37 PM »
I have RelayFAX working. The major issue I had in getting it to go has been resolved. It use metamail to strip attachements from the email it receives and metamail does not seem to be available for this Redhat release.

The one I used to use on 6 and 6.5 does install (with errors) and does work, but it is not RIGHT.... but it does work... actually I use it all the time...

So that is where we are...

Chaloner Hale

and for all those that visited my site over the last few years and noticed my boy had been abducted, I did get him back 10 months ago, and I do have full custody...

Offline AaronG

• +0/-0
    • http://www.healthinc.com.au
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:49:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a faxing solution to integrate with our application.

I only want basic faxing functionality for a network but something I can call programatically such as in a "Windows World"

Shell ("FaxApplication /documentname=doc.txt /phonenumber=999999999")

Is hlyafax suitable for this or is it overkill? Can anyone make a suggestion? I open to use either an Open source solution (such as an application running on SME) or to use a Windows application.

Ideally things such as keeping track of successful and unsuccesful faxes would be a good feature to have.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Aaron

noidea

Need Help
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 02:33:09 AM »
I followed you instruction on how to install but I don't know how to get the program to fing my modem.  I have a PCI modem and I have tried to get hlyafax to inilize it by entering ttyS1 or ttyS2 but  it cannot find it what do I need to do ??????   Please help.

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chryxus.ca
Re: Need Help
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 05:01:17 AM »
Quote from: "noidea"
...  I have a PCI modem and I have tried to get hlyafax to inilize it ...

Look carefully at the Hylafax site and discussions about supported fax modems.

Most PCI (internal) fax modems are so-called Winmodems and are not supported.

I strongly suggest that you get a standards compliant external fax modem.

John

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:38 AM »
Yes, don't install this software without ensuring you have the right gear for it... If you want something that works, then either ask or do a bit of research...

Chaloner Hale

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 05:56:28 AM »
You might try the following at the root prompt;

# setserial /dev/ttyS5
/dev/ttyS5, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xcc00, IRQ: 233

Try for devices ttyS0 through ttyS6 and see if you can spot your modem...

Also to see if it is recognixed;

# cat /proc/pci | more

I used to use an external USR V.Everything Courier modem. It worked well and I used the same for many clients for a long time... Do not use a Sportster for any reason...

I now use an internal PCI Multitech V.92 in class 1.0. Very impressive. It auto installs onto /dev/ttyS5 and is catagorized as a G3 fax modem...Very nice. It has yet to fail receiving a fax...

jazbokes

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 10:29:49 PM »
Is this the same model # MT5634ZPX-PCI-U  you are using ?

noidea

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 12:11:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I just used a PCI card I had lying around so I have no idea what it is.  I think I will head down to the computer store and look for a multitech PCI or an external modem.

Can anyone suggest a good client to use with HylaFax?  My work place uses both Macs and PCs so I need something that will work for both.

Thanks again
Paul

noidea

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:36:17 AM »
Me again,  I have installed a new modem external and it seems to be working fine but I cannot connect to the server.  I have downloaded Frog Faxmail but it keeps comming up user and password required.  is this a Hylafax thing, a Frog faxmail thing?  Do I need to open port 4559? Do l need to enter a password?  I have done some search but as yet cannot find any answers.

Please help
Paul

duncan

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
Quote from: "noidea"
Me again,  I have installed a new modem external and it seems to be working fine but I cannot connect to the server.  I have downloaded Frog Faxmail but it keeps comming up user and password required.  is this a Hylafax thing, a Frog faxmail thing?  Do I need to open port 4559? Do l need to enter a password?  I have done some search but as yet cannot find any answers.

Please help
Paul

man faxadduser

Ps - your web link is faulty.

noidea

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 10:44:13 AM »
Thanks :-D  That solved that problem but I have another and believe me I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't already searched.  I have received a fax but I cannot open it I keep getting a permissions error.  It must be server side as I have tried a couple of different programs.  Sorry to ask again but can anybody shed some light onto this one?

PS. I will have a look at my web info.

Offline mojo

• +0/-0
    • http://pawnitinc.com/files
Faxsetup Error
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
When running faxsetup I get the following error

Warning: /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or is not a directory!

The directory /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or this file is not a directory.
This is the directory where the HylaFAX client applications expect to
locate font metric information to use in formatting ASCII text for
submission as facsimile.  Without this information HylaFAX may generate
illegible facsimile from ASCII text.

I have tried
yum --enablerepo=base install ghostscript-fonts
only to get message

Nothing to do

Thanks

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
This thread is about HylaFAX for SME7. THis is what it works on. HylaFAX also works on every previous version of SME, but the tarball referenced is only for SME7.

It can be installed in under 5 minutes. If it is taking you longer then something else is wrong...

Chaloner Hale