Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME server R7.0 and responsiveness

ltam

« on: July 18, 2006, 03:59:34 AM »
This is a question on the performance of the SME R7.0 Server.  I'm running it on a Duron 1.7GHz with 512Megs of RAM and ECS motherboard.  Yes old stuff.  I'm seeing a difference in the responsiveness over time.  Has anyone noticed the performance degrading over extended uptime?  I'm able to regain the responsiveness after a reboot.  

Is this something that others have seen.  

Cheers,
ltam

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: SME server R7.0 and responsiveness
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:08:28 AM »
ltam

What "responsiveness" are you talking about. More details please.

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:27 AM »
itam,

I am running my home server on a PIII 800 with 256MB RAM and single 40GB drive for my home system and 4 computers. Whilst the virus scan very night is slow I can't see anything else that is slow or unresponsive in normal use.

ltam

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »
Thanks for your response guys.

The scenario was out of the ordinary and not repeatable.  I was changing between directories.  It behaved strangely where it would block my access to folders that should not have been blocked.  If I go up one level and come back down again, it would let me through.  This happened several times.  Or a simple thing such as going between folders, it would put up an hour glass when normally, that doesn't happen.  It was odd and frustrating so I rebooted the server.  Everything went back to normal after that.  I didn't want to report it as a bug because it was not repeatable.  I wanted to get some feedback from the field to see if anyone is having a similar experience.  It could simply be the beginning of hardware failure.  If this is what others have experienced that lead to imminent hardware failure, I want to prepare myself.  Or perhaps there is a maintenance job that I should be aware of that is slowing things down.  This happened 8:00pm.

Thanks.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »
ltam

That sounds more like an incorrectly configured network or settings, or wrong DNS server setting or similar eg WINS server conflicts or browsemaster issues. Too vague to accurately indentify.

ltam

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks.