Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

high cpu usage

bordengineer

high cpu usage
« on: July 08, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »
I've installed sme7 on a low-end machine (400MHz Celeron, 34MB RAM, 4-disk SATA software raid 5 array) and am rather shocked at the CPU usage.  The machine is completely unused, except for the little bit of setup I've done but CPU usage has remained at 100% for three days now.  The process names that seem to be using the most CPU are "run", "nmbd", and "db."  

Based on what I've read in one or two other posts and my own experience, this is much more than I should expect.  (I should think that the CPU would spike to 100% from time to time, but not to stay there for such a sustained time.)

Given how easy this was to set up, I can't imagine that I've made any mistakes.  Can anyone offer any advice toward fixing this?  Thanks in advance for any help.

As an extra data point, I shut off spam checking right before I submitted this and everything is pretty much the same.

Offline dsemuk

• +0/-0
high cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
silliness removed.

34Mb of RAM is very little and an odd amount, is this correct or a typing error?

How long does the machine take to boot from cold?

Dave
--
Esmith/Mitel/SME server  :-D...

Offline dsemuk

• +0/-0
high cpu usage
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »
I must read messages before posting

etc.

Doh
--

bordengineer

high cpu usage
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »
Indeed, 34Mb is both very little and an odd amount;  that should have read 384Mb.

I suppose that I need to read my posts somewhat more closely than I did that time.

Offline dsemuk

• +0/-0
high cpu usage
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »
384Mb is a reasonable amount :)

I've had SME7 final running on a Pentium 233 with just 128Mb of RAM and it runs fine, albeit a bit slow, but perfectly usable as a simple file server.

Did you check the install media against both the md5 and also test it in the server before doing the install?

Is this a first install of SME7 on this hardware?

Did you see any errors during the install?

Was any part of the install paricularly slow, except when generating quotas? Obviously slow on slower processors, as I've found)

Are you seeing any errors in log files?

Dave
--

bordengineer

high cpu usage
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »
Thank you for such quick help.  I'll answer each of your questions and comments in order:

I, too would expect it to run well on light hardware.

I rann an MD5 sum of the ISO before I burned the disc and performed the self-test.

There were no errors during the install

The install went quickly enough to surprise me.

I don't see anything obvious in a quick check of the logs, but my search wasn't exhaustive.