Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Groupware with Outlook sync option for SME7

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« on: June 20, 2006, 07:51:54 PM »
Has anyone had luck with a groupware contrib on SME7 that also syncs with Outlook?!

There are currently (by my knowledge) 3 potential candidates: Horde, eGroupware, and Open-Xchange. If somebody has any luck with syncing one of these (or another) please report it.

Kind regards,
jester.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:09:21 AM »
I'm looking for something also to replace MS Exchange AND collaboration feature s(calendar / shared calendars) for around 10 users. Happy to pay for something commercial AND ROBUST

Open Xchange looks very good but the cost of the Outlook Xtenders is very high - almost the cost of TWO copies of M$ SBS.

Any comments, suggestions, experiences welcome.

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 03:46:14 PM »
I paied around 20USD for a connector and it works fine.
Sophie from Montréal

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »
soprom,
Which connector did you get, and where did you buy it from?

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Groupware with Outlook sync option for SME7
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:56:23 AM »
Quote from: "jester"
Has anyone had luck with a groupware contrib on SME7 that also syncs with Outlook?!

There are currently (by my knowledge) 3 potential candidates: Horde, eGroupware, and Open-Xchange. If somebody has any luck with syncing one of these (or another) please report it.

Kind regards,
jester.

I plan on looking at horde sometime after 7.0 ships.

JB

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:23:41 AM »
The connector is sold with OpenXchange on their web site.

I also tried Toltec and Insight connectors with a cyrus-imap running on SME6.0. This was a great solution. But now, with SME7, nothing does it. DevTeam seems to stick to dovecot and to keed away from cyrus-imap.

The openXchange approach is complicated compared to cyrus-imap. I had OX running and then broke it whithout knowing which modification could have caused the problem. It sits there out of order.

The only way I know to keep it simple is to install basic CENTOS with Kolab. But this drives me away from the help from the community and from SME. As I'm no guru and don't want to become one, Kolab is the best shot, but support is poor.

Another way is with EGroupware. When php5 will be available on SME7, EGW will sync with open source connectors. In the mean time, a box with CENTOS and PHP5 would let you sync.

Many threads about this kind of need never triggered any developer's interest even if the need is real.
Sophie from Montréal

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 05:28:13 AM »
Quote from: "soprom"
Many threads about this kind of need never triggered any developer's interest even if the need is real.

I wouldn't say that.  Since there are less than 10 developers, maybe more like 5 active ones, there is not enough resources to devote to doing this without someone funding it.  If someone really has the need and wants to fund the development, then I'm sure it could/would get done.

JB

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
JB,

What ways of funding are acceptable by the developers?! My only way of doing this, since i'm a linux nitwit, would be by putting up a bounty. Bit this seems to be a not so appreciated topic by many (don't know why though).

Kind regards,
jester.

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:44:19 AM »
JB,

What ways of funding are acceptable by the developers?! My only way of doing this, since i'm a linux nitwit, would be by putting up a bounty. Bit this seems to be a not so appreciated topic by many (don't know why though).

Kind regards,
jester.

Jester,

Not sure why it's not an appreciated topic.  It has been stated at various times that funding development of a feature is acceptable.  There is a bug report for allowing php4 and php5 to be available on sme7.  Maybe you could search for this bug and add comments about offering a bounty for it there and see if it gets anywhere.

JB

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:46:47 AM »
If bounty's are ok by the developers, isn't there some bounty system that can be integated into contribs.org website?

Most of these initiatives are started on, and also get lost in the depths of, the forums. It is unchanneld, unclear what feature are wanted and for the developers there is no way of assuring they will get their money.

jester.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »
A bounty system, Uhmmm why not. Sounds like a good topic for a new thread.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:23:01 PM »
The info I got re Outlook Oxtenders

"We sell Outlook OXtenders in packs of 25.  Each pack costs $815
Let me know how you would like to proceed.
Best regards,
Nick HErring "

icewalker

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
Re: Groupware with Outlook sync option for SME7
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 02:23:03 AM »
Quote from: "mrjhb3"

Kind regards,
jester.

I plan on looking at horde sometime after 7.0 ships.

JB

Link to horde 3.1.x rpm announcement.
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=34191.msg146791#msg146791

John Bennett

Offline Amir Inbar

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sheroot.net
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »
@ mrjhb3 :

Downloaded, rpm'ed and started testing.

The first thing i have noticed is that Hebrew is present again !
After the new rpms were applied, the system gives the option to login in the Hebrew language (Hewbrew charset is enabled by deafault, i am talking about Hebrew GUI).

Thank you,

Amir