Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Poll

How handy would it be to back up to optical media?

5 - WAY handy! How do we NOT have this already??
8 (30.8%)
4 - Pretty handy. I might just use that now that I think about it.
9 (34.6%)
3 - I really don't care one way or another. *shrug*
0 (0%)
2 - I wouldn't use it. I always have to much crap on my server for optical media.
7 (26.9%)
1 - I think that's a bad idea. It promotes killing wildflowers and makes beavers' feet itch.
1 (3.8%)
0 - 'TARD! NO ONE WANTS THAT!!
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 20, 2006, 03:38:30 PM

Backup Abilities

RobRoye

Backup Abilities
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »
I think it would be quite nice to have the option to back up to a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive. Two of the SME boxes I use (one at home and one at work) to store things have more than a DVD can hold. Another one, the one that has my email and website, would easily fit onto a CDRW. I can't really justify what tapes would cost me to back up the 300-400MB my web server has on it most of the time - but I don't want to not back up.

I currently use the "back up to desktop" feature (I'm doing one as I type this) but would LOVE the ability to just back up to CD. Not sure how hard it would be, or if it has been suggested already, but would be a good feature.

Anyone that wishes to flame me if this has been suggested before and I missed it in my search - please just don't. I'll ignore you as the 'tard you are and continue my merry life.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
Backup Abilities
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 07:03:46 AM »

RobRoye

Backup Abilities
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:21:05 PM »
Contribs are a nice thing, but they are not what this post is about. This post is about asking for CD/DVD backups to be included in the normal capabilities of SME. I think it would be used enough by enough people to make it worthwhile.

BTW, thanks for the link. I'll use that in the meantime.

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
Backup Abilities
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:33:15 PM »
Did you put it in the SME server future on the bug tracker?

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
Backup Abilities
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »
I voted 'too much crap', but then I was reminded blue-ray and its ilk, including multi-layer optical media. With holographic CDs holding up to 300G these days (though still *very* expensive), then perhaps it is practical.

-- JJ
-- Jason

knuddel

Backup Abilities
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 10:00:27 PM »
I ask for assigning, for my bad English!

I think its really nice, to backup to cd!!!  :lol:
yes real!
i have with a little bit reading work, and many test, with mondo/mindi
my system backup to cd (without mp3files :cry: ) and then
on a complete other system back secured, and it run!
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=31628.0
all my E-mail, plugins, and configurations are rescued!  :-D
also it is a good feature to backup to cd!
I think “mondorescue” could be the best backup solution for sme,
with features how:  
tape, NFS, usb, firewire, cifs, CD ISO, dvd ISO as safety device,
boot from mindi ISO, with autoconfiguration A la anaconda,
and then baking ECU ring all your configuration, plugins, DATA!
yeah, dream is mad, in did convert is better!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Backup Abilities
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 04:14:28 AM »
Quote from: "judgej"

With holographic CDs holding up to 300G these days (though still *very* expensive), then perhaps it is practical.

Only if someone buys a developer such a device. Or someone with such a device becomes a developer.

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
    • http://www.westcountrybusiness.com
Backup Abilities
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 07:04:54 PM »
I have a number of small clients who can fit their most important 'daily' data backup onto a DVD - especially if dual-layer (~ 8gb).

However, the way I do this is to use the backup2ws contrib.  That runs overnight to create the RAR file on a windows desktop somewhere & then a user is tasked to burn onto a DVD.

I know that's a double backup but the user's desktop PC is often more easily accessible than the server & the disk can be burned anytime during the day, so they set it going then go off to lunch.  PC software also makes it easy for an end-user to erase a RW disk & see that the burn completed without errors & so gives a little more control / flexibility.

The option on SME would be nice, but its pretty easy to work around & I guess I'd prefer to see developer time spent elsewhere (.. & before I get yelled at ...) Of course the developers are free to spend their time precisely where they want (which kind of makes the whole poll idea fun, interesting but largely irrelevant  ;-) )

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
Backup Abilities
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 05:43:37 AM »
If it's such a "small" amount of info, you may want to consider a tape drive solution. -12/24; -20/40; -35/70

New LTO/LVD drives and other items are replacing older equipment that's easily available and affordable. You can pickup the older equip for peanuts.

jand689

How about NAS?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:09:20 PM »
I would really like to see an option to backup to an NAS device like a Buffalo LinkStation.  They store 250 GB plus on a USB hard drive device.  I would like the ability to select the directories to backup and run it on a schedule.

jand689

Correction
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »
They store 250 GB plus on a USB hard drive device.

Correction:  They store 250 GB plus on a network attached hard drive device.

Offline jonroberts

• +0/-0
    • http://www.westcountrybusiness.com
Backup Abilities
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »
I use a Lacie NAS device (300gb) on my network.  Its designed to be available to Windows PCs (although it looks to be running Samba) so I can backup to it using the usual Backup2WS contrib. For some reason I had a problem backing up to it by name, but I can backup to it by IP address without a problem.

Alternatively, if you have a USB external drive, just ensure its connected to a PC, set a share and use the Backup2WS contrib to backup to it.  I've done this a few times with clients.  Often I'll get 2 x 80gb USB drives & they just swap then around each day so backup is rotated.  There are some disadvantages over tapes (e.g. does having only 2 backup destinations offer sufficient redundancy) but has the advantages that its considerably cheaper (than buying equivalent tape drive & media) and in case of problems, the USB / NAS disk can be easily connected to another PC / Network to access the data.

jand689

backup2
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 11:40:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.