Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

email failure when the first external mail server is down

khizer

« on: June 19, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
Hi All

When users email a specific company the email bounces. The message is

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at the-regent-group.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<example@example.co.uk>:
Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. (#4.4.2) I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

The company in question has stopped using the first email server which had a preference of 10 but the email should then go to the second server which has a preference of 20 but this isn't the case.

Regards

Khizer

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: email failure when the first external mail server is dow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:07:58 PM »
Quote from: "khizer"
Hi All

When users email a specific company the email bounces. The message is

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at the-regent-group.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<example@example.co.uk>:
Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. (#4.4.2) I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

The company in question has stopped using the first email server which had a preference of 10 but the email should then go to the second server which has a preference of 20 but this isn't the case.

Regards

Khizer
It seems to me that the DNS of this company is not configured correctly or perhaps the mail-server with the lower priority can not be seen by your mailserver. There is probably not much you can do than inform the admin of the other mailserver to try and correct their settings.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

khizer

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:34:19 PM »
hi

the admin for the other company has told me that nobody else has any problems.  if the my mailserver can't see the mail servers with a lower priority is there any way of resolving this.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: email failure when the first external mail server is dow
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »
Quote from: "khizer"

<example@example.co.uk>:

Because you have obfuscated the error message, nobody else can investigate further.

There is either a DNS configuration error for the target domain, a problem in one or more of their mail servers, or a connectivity problem between your site and port 25 of one or more of their mail servers. None of those issues is an SME server issue.