Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Need help adding static TFTP server address to DHCP scope

Offline bizell

• +0/-0
Need help adding static TFTP server address to DHCP scope
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »
Hello Everyone,

We are getting ready to install a new Mitel/Inter-tel VoIP phone system in our office and the handsets can use DHCP to obtain their IP. The issue I'm facing is the phones also need to be able to see a static TFTP server which is part of the phone system at the time they request the IP. I was told by the installer that the TFTP IP address would need to be added to the DHCP scope in order for the phones to see the DHCP server.

I assume I'll have to edit this through command line - which is fine - I could just use some help getting pointed in the right direction. If anybody has some suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: Need help adding static TFTP server address to DHCP scope
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME 7.x contribs forum, it is more appropriate there. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:12 PM »
I assume I'll have to edit this through command line - which is fine - I could just use some help getting pointed in the right direction. If anybody has some suggestions they would be most appreciated.
It depends on which entity is providing DHCP, if it is SME Server you could add the hostname of the tFTP server to the hostname panel and assign it a fixed IP based on it's MAC address. This way it should also be available in the DNS when it's IP number is requested by hostname from another entity in the network and the tFTP will always receive the same (fixed) IP number.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:39:16 PM by cactus »
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline bizell

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
It depends on which entity is providing DHCP, if it is SME Server you could add the hostname of the tFTP server to the hostname panel and assign it a fixed IP based on it's MAC address. This way it should also be available in the DNS when it's IP number is requested by hostname from another entity in the network and the tFTP will always receive the same (fixed) IP number.

That is a great suggestion. We are going live later today, so I'll give this a shot, or I guess static IP's it is!

Thanks again, I'll let you know if it works.