Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

CUPS probs on SME 6.0.1

atlantis7

CUPS probs on SME 6.0.1
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:10:14 PM »
I have a problem running CUPS on my machine. According to the howto on contribs I installed the rpms but it doesn't work as it should.

I have a Lexmark Optra Ep printer attached to the parallel port #1 of the server. When I print from my Windows machine the CUPS web interface immediately tells me that the print job was "cancelled at ...". The log file says

"Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job .."

and

"Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"

This seems to be a well-know problem with CUPS, I found a lot of questions about that on the internet but no answers that helped anything.

Ghostscript IS installed, gs -v gives

ESP Ghostscript 7.05.6 (2003-02-05)

The only possibility to get anything out of the printer is to choose the raw printer queue but then the result is not acceptable (I wanted to print a pcb layout and some traces were missing...). All other drivers, even though reported working with this printer on linuxprinting.org, give the above result.

Somebody must know what to do, please...

Regards
Martin

Robert

Re: CUPS probs on SME 6.0.1
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:19:57 AM »
Quote from: "atlantis7"

I have a Lexmark Optra Ep printer attached to the parallel port #1 of the server. When I print from my Windows machine the CUPS web interface immediately tells me that the print job was "cancelled at ...". The log file says

"Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job .."

and

"Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"

This seems to be a well-know problem with CUPS, I found a lot of questions about that on the internet but no answers that helped anything.

Ghostscript IS installed, gs -v gives

ESP Ghostscript 7.05.6 (2003-02-05)

I agree that this a well-known "problem" with CUPS, and the solution is usually to install ghostscript. But that is not what's going on here. Rather, what you're trying to do was disabled by me on purpose in the CUPS configuration. That's what the following lines from the documentation are trying to tell you:

"Please note that you cannot feed output from a raster printer driver to a filtering queue. MS Windows drivers for non-PostScript printers are examples of raster printer drivers. If you have Windows computers on your network and you want to use the Windows drivers for your printer, you will need to set up a raw queue for the printer."

The reason why I disabled this is that we don't want raw print jobs to sneak past the CUPS filters uncounted, unquota'ed and unfiltered. If you want uncounted, unquota'ed, unfiltered jobs, you need to explicitly use a raw queue. That's what they're for. Of course, you can have lots of queues (filtered or raw) in front of any one physical printer, so one type of queue doesn't exclude the other.

The only possibility to get anything out of the printer is to choose the raw printer queue

As explained, that's intended behavior.
but then the result is not acceptable (I wanted to print a pcb layout and some traces were missing...).

That means the Windows printer driver for your printer is broken. Report the problem to whoever provides the driver.
All other drivers, even though reported working with this printer on linuxprinting.org, give the above result.

Somebody must know what to do, please...

Read the howto about printing to filtering queues.

Regards, Robert