Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Spam and virus filtering question.

woofus

« on: June 12, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
I have several SME servers at my employer, web, e-mail, samba, etc.
We just had another company join our group and they have an exchange server. I am trying to get them to let me switch them to something else. In the mean time they are using a spam filtering service(Postini) and its subscription is about to expire. Is there a way for me to have all of there e-mail traffic come through an sme server and have spam stripped and virus checking done and then send it on to the existing exchage server? My hope is that they will see the cost savings and be willing to take my advice on ditching exchange in the future, but they have just upgraded so it is has been a tuff sell so far.

Thanks
Brian

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:23:44 PM »
SME 7:
server-manager:
-Configuration
---Change E-Mail Delivery Settings

Plug in the IP address of the Exchange Server as the "Address of internal mail server", then reconfigure your firewall to send incoming SMTP traffic to the SME server.

Your options for handling "Spam" are slightly limited - you can't push it directly into the Exchange users' "Junk E-Mail" folders, and therefor some of the spam/ham training info on Contribs is irrelevant, but it does a great job of reducing SPAM.

If they load & enable the "Microsoft Intelligent Mail Filter" on the Exchange server, too, they should be able to approach postini in effectiveness.

Reporting is not as good, though.  I believe that Postini provides a link for each user to a webmail-like page full of recent spam that gets cleared out weekly or so.  I'd *love* to have that on my SME 7 box in conjunction with an internal Exchange server, but haven't figured it out yet!