Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

A Few RAID-1 Questions.

york

A Few RAID-1 Questions.
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:47:08 AM »
Good Day Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding SME's RAID-1 feature that I hope someone can point me to the right direction.

(By the way all of my questions are based on my production SME 6.01 upgraded to the so-called PLUS status.)

--

1. Can I downgrade from RAID-1 back to single HDD installation with all the data, emails, and the PLUS packages intact?

--

2. Can I setup a single-drive RAID-1 just like in SME 7 on 6.01 PLUS?

--

3. Finally how can I upgrade from the existing HDD to a larger one, for example from a set of mirrored 40Gs to a set of 160Gs?

--

I mean I tried Ghost, Partition Magic, partimage, parted, backup & restore, but still can't do what I wanted to do:

a. Downgrade from RAID-1 back to single drive installation;

b. Setup a single-drive RAID-1;

c. Upgrade from 2 x 40G to 1 x 160G single-drive RAID-1;

d. Make sure all the existing data files, emails, OpenXchange data, and all the PLUS packages untouched.

Suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

/YC:yc

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
A Few RAID-1 Questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »
1) yes, remove a drive.
2) yes, remove a drive.
3) yes visit: http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/Migrating%20a%20Raid%201%20to%20bigger%20harddisks%20with%20Knoppix
Search for more.

york

A Few RAID-1 Questions.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:41:14 AM »
Hello,

O.k., I know I can simply remove a drive.  In fact I know I can fake a drive failure using one of the raid utilities.  I guess  the bottomline is that I want  to either properly get rid of  "mdx", or make it a single-disk RAID-1 (which I do not know what /dev/xxx to use for the mirrored drive on a single-disk RAID-1).

--

On the other hand thanks for the link - at least now I know why I can"t resize ext3 after I Ghosted to the larger HDD ...

"qtparted doesn't support ext3 so must use parted"

... I was using qtparted ...

Thanks again.

Regards,

/YC:yc

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
A Few RAID-1 Questions.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:35:24 PM »
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do.

I want to either properly get rid of "mdx"

If you want to go this route, use the mdadm tool. Mark a partition as failed and then remove it. Use
Code: [Select]
man mdadm for more info.

or make it a single-disk RAID-1...

or just remove the drive and it will be a single-disk RAID-1

Then upgrade the singe disk with the howto I directed you towards.
Then add the other disk into the raid.

Since I don't understand, you can either explain further or you can search to find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.