Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[bounty] brokerage system

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:12:57 AM »
I suggest a bounty brokerage system.

Here's how it works.

-someone has a need. They need it bad enough, they are willing to pay for it.
-they post the need (contrib, howto, etc) and how much they are willing to pay for it ($200) This is the bounty.
-someone else sees the need and thinks that they would like it too. So they add to the bounty. (another $20, $50, etc).
-developers are free to complete the task at anytime.
-the first developer to successfully complete the task wins their share of the bounty.
-the bounty is split between contribs.org and the winning developer.
-(here's where it gets interesting) the split is a tiered system based on total bounty revenue. For example, 50% at $500, 60% at $750, 70% at $1000. If the developer claims a bounty for $400, contribs get $200 and the developer gets $200. The next bounty the same developer claims is $500. Now the developers total bounty is $900. This time contribs gets $200 (40% of $500) and the developer gets $300 (60% of $500). And so on.
-the contrib/howto is posted for the community

This does a couple of things.
-It gets attention. Did somebody say money?
-It gets people involved. There's probably hidden talent out there but too shy to do anything for free. (After all, I see about 40 users on the site at any given hour.)
-It gives incentive. If you want something you need to pay for it. Nobody comes to my house to wash my dishes for free, I shouldn't have to help out for free.
-It generates income. Everyone needs to live (even contribs), living costs money.
-It drives development in the area that is wanted most.
-It defrays the cost to the community so that no single person has to bear the burden by themselves.
-It ensures that most successful developers get paid the best. Also, it gives the best developers more incentive to finish first and as much as possible to reach the 'next level.' (smart developers will team together to split the bounty)
-It pulls the talent of many different people to ensure the community is working as a team and not against each other.
-in turn, it ensures the community has the best work completed for what they deem needed.

Just an idea to keep things moving in the right direction.

cranky

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:31:13 AM »
Your ideas are interesting.  We have discussed a bounty system proposal in the past.  Please refer to
http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/AdministrationFundraising
for details.  How would you suggest that this proposal be improved by adding your thoughts as indicated in your post?

Offline dsemuk

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:07:20 AM »
May I suggest I seperate forum be setup for those who wish to offer a bounty for a specific project.

Each bounty/project has a seperated thread and those who want that project to move forward specify how much they are willing / able to contribute in that specific thread, those developers who are able/willing to undertake paid development work can watch threads that they may be able to help with.

OK this forum may need a little additional work to keep the posts / threads on track but the benifits to SME and independent SME developers would be worth the extra work.

Just my two peneth

Dave
--
Esmith/Mitel/SME server  :-D...

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »
How about a bounty system that is used on horde.org web site. Look at the banner in the middle of their page WANTED
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite