Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Windows 2003 server and SME : Slow response issue

Offline fergro

• +0/-0
« on: June 03, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »
Hi

Hopefully someone can give me a lead on the best way of fixing this prob.

The Problem:

I have two sites with MS Win 2003 server set up as a domain logon and Sme 6.01. The windows box runs Timberline, and the SME box runs the DHCP, Mail and Web. It is in essence a basic setup. I have loaded Greg Zartmans Domain logon RPM and configured it as described. For some unexplained reason the network intermittently runs slow and becomes sluggish. I am guessing it is a local dns type resolution problem at resolving to the active directory containing user printers etc. I have entered the SME box in the Hostnames and Identified the Ip of the Windows box also.

It maybe that I need to restructure the way it is setup, however I am wondering if anyone could advise of similar problems they may have had and if so of the fixes for those problems. I hope I have provided enough information to explain my issue.

RF

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »
In one scenerio, my sme server and w2k server were conflicting. All I know was that dns lookups were flooding the network. Others disagreed when I posted the problem. However, the only way I could fix it was to change the dns on the sme to the isp's dns.