Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

LDAP, company wide address book

mapangojoe

« on: April 17, 2006, 11:48:10 PM »
Hello All.  I have been using SME since 5.5 and I love it.  There is one thing SME does not have (to my knowledge!) that would be nice.  I'm posting on this list to get feedback on my wish/issue.

At my company there is no companywide address book that all can enter in customer/vendor information.  We CAN lookup each others Email addresses via the LDAP server provided with SME, but in a small company (70 or less) that is not much of a help.

Is there anyway to setup the LDAP server in SME to allow EVERYONE to make entries.  This would allow ALL SME users to build up a repository of custometr/vendor contact information.  Right now what we have is 20+ users, each with individual outlook address books (who can't share easily with each other), and 45+ SuSE linux users using Evolution (who also can't share easily with each other).  Is this just a fact of life, or am I missing something, or "should I install open-exchange" or what.

I'm wondering how other SME users (in a corporate environment) have solved this vexing problem.

Thanks for your input!

Chris Curtis

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »
Chris,
Just a suggestion, no offence.
Cross posting to every forum category work particularly well if you repeat your post very 15-30 minutes  :-o.
People get annoyed and irritated much quicker this way :-x.
They even might start replying, but unfortunately rarely on the subject.  :roll:

Try instead post only once and into appropriate category (suggestions, or a bug tracker as a feature request).

mapangojoe

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:50:09 AM »
Quote from: "Boris"
Chris,
Just a suggestion, no offence.
Cross posting to every forum category work particularly well if you repeat your post very 15-30 minutes  :-o.
People get annoyed and irritated much quicker this way :-x.
They even might start replying, but unfortunately rarely on the subject.  :roll:

Try instead post only once and into appropriate category (suggestions, or a bug tracker as a feature request).

This question was one not generally applicable to any specific group, so I thought I'd post it to all the groups that it MAY pertain to.  If you take a look at the posts I have created, and replied to, you would know I have never abused the system, and I occasionally offer help in the form of answering posts.   I don't remember ever seeing any specific rule stating not to cross post ether (but I'm not saying that there is no rule, just that I have never seen it).

I will continue to post to multiple groups if I think that is appropriate to the question.  The posting police will have to deal and get over it.

Thank you for your input!

Chris Curtis

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
Most people read ALL the forum's topics anyway. You could save yourself time posting it once only.
I am not a "posting police", nor moderator on this forum. Too bad those smiles in my post didn't trigger your sense of humor.

mapangojoe

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:35 PM »
Most people read ALL the forum's topics anyway. You could save yourself time posting it once only.
I am not a "posting police", nor moderator on this forum. Too bad those smiles in my post didn't trigger your sense of humor.

But I do have a sinse of humor, I thanked you for your input.

Have a nice day!

Chris Curtis

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »
:lol:

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
Chris,

I see some irony in that this is exactly what happened, LOL.

Anyway, Chris -> I'm after exactly the same thing as you are: a company-wide address book that is accessible to all users (for both read/write) and also accessible via client like TB or OE and Webmail for my road warriors.

Such a feature would be very handy for the SMB users out there.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 02:50:06 AM »
Quote from: "mapangojoe"

I will continue to post to multiple groups if I think that is appropriate to the question.  The posting police will have to deal and get over it.

Expect to be flamed then.

Did you use the search feature here to find what you were looking for?