Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-backuppc

Offline mike_mattos

• +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2006, 06:22:19 PM »
profitez de la vie, plus que 6ans avant la fin du monde !!

donc, il faut que je complet mon serveur!

merci pour changer la langue do pannel a la Francais, l'anglais etait trop drol!

( mais our les pauvre Anglos, une optionne a changer peut-etre? )

merci

Mike

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »
The panel in the server manager is english only for now (well, almost english, there's probably a lot of mistakes :/)

The BackupPC_Admin page language can be change,(already explain some posts ago of this topic) server-manager=>backuppc config=>CGI interface=>language or change the variable $Conf{Language} in the main config.pl file. It can takes one of this valus: en, fr, es, de, it, nl
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 01:50:48 AM »
VIP-ire,

Thanks very much for your contribution.  I appreciate it very much.

I'm beginning my testing of BackupPC and I have a couple of suggestions for you:

For troubleshooting, I found that restarting the backuppc service illuminates some issues...

Code: [Select]
service backuppc restart

You may get errors such as...

Error! Unable to read config.pl or language strings!!

This seems to indicate problems parsing the config.pl file.  I found that it is VERY easy to not use single quotes around configuration strings as there is not instruction to do so.  For example, if you fail to enter...

'/home/e-smith/files'

with quotes as the BackupFilesOnly, the config.pl file fill fail to be parsed correctly and the service will not start.  Same goes for other fields, as well.  To fix this, you have to manually edit the config.pl file...

vi /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/files/conf/config.pl

then you have to use the (wonderful) Server-Manager panel to make the same changes again so that they stick.

Perhaps the quotes could be added by the server-manager panel itself?  That would save a lot of problems.

I also found that the permissions for BackupPC_Admin are, um, fragile.  On one hand, you need the SUID bit set or you get this error...

Software error:
Can't locate BackupPC/Lib.pm in @INC ...

to fix it...

chmod u+s /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin

But this is the problem...if you modify the backups I-bay, or simply click modify, then click save (which is a trick I frequently use to reset permissions on all the files in an I-bay), the SUID is stripped off and you have to fix it again.  

If you set the immutable attribute, this fixes the problem, but I'm not certain it's really a good idea.  This could cause problems down the road...upgrades, etc.

chattr +i
/home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin

I, too had problems with the perl-File-RsyncP.  Is there a newer contrib package available?  Perhaps it would be a good idea to host your contribs in an official site where they could be browsed and would also be mirrored?

Your idea of including an index.html file is also a good one.  Works great.  I just deleted everything and added:

<META http-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; url=cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin">

Now I have to learn how to configure and use this...

I also have an offer for you, if you'll send me the English text, I'll polish up the translations for you.  I'm sorry, I don't speak French, but maybe I can help a little.

G

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »
Perhaps the quotes could be added by the server-manager panel itself? That would save a lot of problems.

Well, I tried to let the panel add the quotes as often as I could but the problem is when the default value is undef. This special value makes backuppc to ignor the variable but if the quotes are added by the panel, then it won't be undef anymore but 'undef' and then, backuppc will search for an undef directory. I'm looking for a solution but I haven't find one for now.

But this is the problem...if you modify the backups I-bay, or simply click modify, then click save (which is a trick I frequently use to reset permissions on all the files in an I-bay), the SUID is stripped off and you have to fix it again.

If you set the immutable attribute, this fixes the problem, but I'm not certain it's really a good idea. This could cause problems down the road...upgrades, etc.

Well, I didn't thought about the chattr command. I will try on my test server some times to ensure there's no problem with the immuable attribute.

I, too had problems with the perl-File-RsyncP. Is there a newer contrib package available? Perhaps it would be a good idea to host your contribs in an official site where they could be browsed and would also be mirrored?

Well, when I find a problem, I fix it and I update the tar.gz you can find on the link (at the first page of the topic). So if you are testing it, you can re-download it. The problem of the RsyncP should be fixed, I used Rsync and it worked. I'd like to host my own site dedicated to SME but I haven't time to make it. (especially 'cause I didn't take time to learn some html base).

I also have an offer for you, if you'll send me the English text, I'll polish up the translations for you. I'm sorry, I don't speak French, but maybe I can help a little.

Of course I would be very happy someone help me. The problem is , I wrote the panel with the old e-smith::CGI module not in formmagik so the text is directly in the panel, not in a text file alone. All my work is in the backuppc_panel_V1.0.tar.gz.

thanks a lot for testing it

otag

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »
I am still having a problem with this error:-

File::RsyncP module doesn't exist

I have a clean install of SME7rc3 and a fresh download of smeserver-backuppc2.1.2.tar.gz which has both
perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm & perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-8.i386.rpm

Everything else seems to work ok as I have been able to do backups using smb, however using rsync or rsyncd I get the above error.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2006, 08:45:05 PM »
ok, my fault, I forgot to remove perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-8.i386.rpm in the latest archive.
To fix it, remove perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-8.i386.rpm:

yum remove perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-8.i386

and install perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm wich works but is a little more old:
go in the smeserver-backuppc2.1.2 directory and type this:

rpm -Uvh perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-8.i386.rpm

tested at the moment and it works.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
backuppc_panel_v1.01
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »
I've just put online a new archive wich contains some improvements for backuppc_panel.

In the list of the improvements, there's what sonoracomm suggested, now you needn't anymore to add the quotes for the includ/exclude files and some others parametres like the pre/post actions.

the install and uninstall scripts are in english

I also add a function to generate a personal config file for each machine. With this new function, you just have to select wich variables you want to overwrite and then the file is generated.

Please, try it and send me your opinion.

http://sme.firewall-services.com/files/backuppc_panel_v1.01.tar.gz

for now, the best way to install it is to uninstall the old one and to reinstall the new. The problem is that you lost your already configured host (neither the data nor the specific config file but just the name of the host in the list so you have to enter them again manually, and then they recover their old config file and backups). I'd like to add an export/import function so that upgrades don't make problems.

that's all for now.

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2006, 12:27:12 AM »
VIP-ire,

Thanks again for your great contrib.  I now have BackupPC in production and it has become invaluable to me.  I have used it to replace a similar (less functional) homegrown on-line backup system.

I installed the new file and I've used it for a while.

I see what you mean about the complications dealing with the quotes.  Perhaps the best way to deal with them is to add them where possible and use a comment to tell folks when they need to deal with the quotes themselves?

I had particular problems with the rsync exclusions.  After installing the new archive, I had to add them manually to the rsync options because of the quotes problem:

$Conf\{RsyncArgs\} = [

'--numeric-ids',
            '--perms',
            '--owner',
            '--group',
            '--devices',
            '--links',
            '--times',
            '--block-size=2048',
            '--recursive',
            '--exclude=/proc',
            '--exclude=/temp',
            '--exclude=Temp/',
            '--exclude=/sys',
            '--exclude=/mnt',
            '--exclude=/media',
            '--exclude=.recycle/',
            '--exclude="Recycle Bin/"',
            '--exclude="Temporary Internet Files/"',

];

Also, after upgrading the server to 7.0 (final), I was unable to create a new host's config.pl from a model.  I kept getting this error in the browser:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I found that I could create the host's config.pl file using the "perso" option, then editing it normally.  The windows and linux templates no longer work as before.

As you are already aware, upgrading SME Servers is an on-going process.  We'll all be upgrading when 7.1 comes out.  ;-)  Now that I have this system in production, it will be very important to make it survive the next upgrade cycle without destroying the installation.  As you know, once you get a few weeks into BackupPC, that history/database is quite valuable.  Perhaps there is a way to install the newest rpms without uninstalling or losing your backed-up data.  Perhaps I just need to learn how to transfer a BackupPC installation...say, from one machine to another.  That would be good to know.

On another note, I've successfully connected several SME Servers to my BackupPC installation with gresat results, even though all the servers are on WAN connections.  I am offering a commercial on-line backup option to my customers.

However, I have not yet successfully been able to back up a Windows host.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to use the 'rsync' method, as I do on the Linux hosts, without success.  It seems as it _should_ work, but it doesn't.  

Has anyone been able to back up a Windows host using the 'rsync' method?  How do you back up remote Windows hosts?  'rsyncd' method?  I need to be able to backup remote Windows servers as I do the Linux servers.  Obviously the 'smb' method is out...

Thanks again for all your hard work,

G

p.s.  I have written a howto for our own internal use that implements this system using your contribs.  However, it's rough yet and the Windows Host section is broken still.  Once I get things worked out, I'll post a link.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
Well, I'm so happy my work is usefull !

For the quotes problem, I need to verify all the parametres one by one, I did'nt find the time yet. maybe there's still some parametres wich need them but normally it's ok.

For the rsync exclude option, I had some problem to, but finally, I succeed using it. here is an example for the backup of the local host: all the file system is backed up but the sys, proc, dev, tmp and ibays directory.

$Conf{TarShareName} = ['/'];
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/proc','/sys','/dev','/tmp','/home/e-smith/files/ibays'];

here is another example:
$Conf{TarShareName} = ['/etc', '/home'];
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = 'e-smith/files/ibays/backup';    

here, I just backup up the etc and home drectorys. for the exclude parametre, the path is relative to the share, it doesn't work if you enter an absolut path. for me, it works quite well.

For the model problem, I just saw there's an error with the windows and linux one, as I only use the 'perso' possibility. It's fixed in the next release I will put online. In this next release, I also worked for the upgrade, and I think it's ok, but I need to do more test. There's new functions in the panel that let you save the configuration and the host list, so you can uninstall the old contrib and install the new one without loosing your data, your configuration or your host list. This next release is in one archive (the program itself and the panel). There's some other improvements. If you wan't to try on a test machine, you can get it:

http://sme.firewall-services.com/files/smeserver-backuppc_v1.1.tar.gz

and its how-to:

http://sme.firewall-services.com/files/backuppc4SME7.pdf

For backuping remote windows machines with rsync, I haven't tested yet, I just know it uses cigwin+rsync. I think you can find it on sourceforge, in the rsync section.

For your howto, I'd like to have a look at it, can you put the url please?

If you still interested in helping me with correcting the mistakes in the panel, I will try to put all the text in one file, but I don't know when I will have the time to do it.

Well, thanks for helping me in this developpement, your comments are very usefull.

jcoleman

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »
I am backing up Windoze clients with rsync on the local net.  It is fairly simple to do.

Download cygwin-rsyncd from the BackupPC Sourceforge file area as it is modified to work with BackupPC.  Put all the files in:  c:\rsyncd, set up your secret and conf files, then run service.bat to install as a service.

In the rsync.conf file there isn't too much to edit.  Set the path of the files you want to backup such as:

path = c:/Documents and Settings/username/My Documents

the authorized user is the same as in the secrets file. So...

auth users = userid

and I set hosts allow to only give access to my BackupPC server.

hosts allow = 10.1.1.1

In the secrets file, just list your userid and password separated by a colon such as:

userid:password

make sure you end the file with a blank line.

That's all it took me..... :pint:   I can get it running on a networked Windows box in under a minute and have had no problems.  I have all my users' My Documents directories automagically backed up without their even knowing it.  The only thing I have to change for each user is the username in the directory path in rsyncd.conf.

I'm having trouble getting backups across a WAN.  Any help there from you guys?

-jeff

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2006, 10:10:10 AM »
Thank for your informations jcolman, I'll try this as soon as I can (I haven't any windows machine for now :/). For a backup through a wan, have you increase the PingMaxMsec parametre in the "how do we find client" section? It's 20ms by default for preventing a backup to start if a client is connected through a VPN but you can overide this variable in the per pc config.pl file. You should ping the remote machine to see the time it take to respond and and then setting the PingMaxMsec.

jcoleman

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »
VIP-ire,

Thanks for the info on the ping latency.  Sounds like a good idea.  I'll give it a try in the next few days and report back.  I really want to thank you for your work on this project.

BackupPC on SME is a great thing!

Cheers,

-jeff

Offline jfarschman

• +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »
First... thank you very much.

This is a useful system that I had never looked at.

Second my question -- The localhost 127.0.0.1 job that on the system by default.  It's excludes the /home/e-smith/files directories

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = 'files';

I keep IMAP email and want to make it back this email up.  I would like to backup /home/e-smith/files/users  but not ibays

Do I change the Exclude to be ibays?

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = 'ibays';

If so... what happens if there is a directory in the users $HOME called ibays?  Thanks.  

:hammer:   Again... brilliant work... and brilliant sourceforge project.
Jay Farschman
ICQ - 60448985
jay@hitechsavvy.com

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:04 AM »
Well, that's right, I should have put something in the howto about that.
But if you have just the 'file' directory in exclude that mean that you don't have the lastest release, you should redownload it and follow the howto for the upgrade.

http://sme.firewall-services.com/files/smeserver-backuppc_v1.1.tar.gz (the contrib)

http://sme.firewall-services.com/files/backuppc4SME7.pdf (the how-to)

In fact the default configuration of the host 127.0.0.1 (in the old release) doesn't backup the user's files and the ibay 'cause sometimes they are very large and it could fill up all the disk if you don't pay attention the first time. If you wan't to backup the user's directorys, you can exclude explicity the ibay directory with the absolut path:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/home/e-smith/files/ibays']

In the lastest release, the default job backups all the server but these directorys:
'/proc','/sys','/dev','/tmp','/home/e-smith/files/ibays'

Yes, if you do not enter the absolut path but just enter 'ibays', all the directory of that name won't be save.

Offline jfarschman

• +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2006, 03:36:16 PM »
:-o  Great!

It makes sense now.  This is very good.
Jay Farschman
ICQ - 60448985
jay@hitechsavvy.com