Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-backuppc

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Has anyone tested an upgrade from a previous version of the contrib to the last one?
Or just the save/restor function of the hosts list and the configuration. I've tested it on my server and it seems to work but I would like to know if there's problem on other configurations before announcing it as stable.

Anyone interested in helping me? I know there's a lot of mistakes in the interface, they don't bother me as I'm french but for english, I think they are ugly.

If you have any suggestions (new features, improvement etc...), let me know (daniel@firewall-services.com).
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline arnoldob

• +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2006, 07:22:17 PM »
There's a HOW-TO for adding a drive and using a symlink to an ibay in English:

http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs//mblotwijk/HowToGuides/AddExtraHardDisk.htm

I tried it with SME 7.0 final and it worked correctly.  It would make a useful addition to your HOW-TO
Thanks,
:)
Tampa, FL USA

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 09:52:17 AM »
Well, in my howto, I put a link to another howto from grand-pa to add an extra disk, but the difference between the two is that in grand-pa's howto the disk is directly mounted in the ibay directory without any simlink. I don't know what is the best. I will put this link to if you have tested successfully. Thanks

jcoleman

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 05:05:21 PM »
VIP-ire,

I just checked the howto referenced by arnoldbob using the symlinks.  While this is more work, I think it's a good idea.  It makes sense to me to keep my operating system files on a different disk than the data.

I'm thinking a RAID1 OS partition with a large RAID5 data disk subsystem would make a great backup appliance.  RAID5 is good enough as the system does not have to be fast.  Add remote offsite backup of the local backuppc system and you've got a reasonably robust system without spending a lot of money.

This is just getting better and better...thanks for all of your work on this contrib.

-jeff

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 06:32:11 PM »
I'm working on an function (in the panel) to setup a cron job that can export all the backup data (the /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/files directory) to an offsite server using rsync over ssh. It's almost working, I just need to make a few more tests. It will normally be ready the next week.

jcoleman

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »
I'm working on an function (in the panel) to setup a cron job that can export all the backup data (the /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/files directory) to an offsite server using rsync over ssh.

That is excellent.  Let me know when you have it working and I'll test it with you.

-jeff

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2006, 12:41:12 PM »
The next release of the contrib is available.
You can get it at:

http://firewall-services.com/sme/files/backuppc/smeserver-backuppc_v1.2.tar.gz        (edited)

and it's how-to

http://firewall-services.com/sme/files/backuppc/backuppc1.2_4SME7.pdf        (edited)

In the changes, there's:
    * the panel has been moved to Configuration section
    * Added the patch level 2 to backuppc itself (have a look at http://backuppc.sourceforge.net)
    * Added a function to setup cron jobs that can export data to an offsite server (or several servers) using rsync over ssh
    * the default 127.0.0.1 configuration file include as pre event the command signal-event pre-backup to save the mysql db

I saw that backuppc v3beta is available and that it include in the CGI page the modification of the configuration just like my contrib does. I'm a bit discouraged 'cause maybe most of my work won't be usefull anymore. I'll try to integrate v3 in SME when it would be available as stable.

aniston

cannot download the files
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
hello VIP-ire, the files dont seem to be available anymore from your server ? any other place where i can find them , or if possible can you e-mail them ?

- looking forward to test your work on a dedicated backupserver running SME 7.0

thanks in advance.
aniston

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »
yeah, sorry, I have moved the files and haven't edited the links yet.

backuppc is available from here:

http://firewall-services.com/sme/files/backuppc/smeserver-backuppc_v1.2.tar.gz

and here for the how-to

http://firewall-services.com/sme/files/backuppc/backuppc1.2_4SME7.pdf

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »
Firstly, thanks for the effort put into this.  I'm excited to get it going and help test.  I"m running an updated version of 7.0

Just followed the latest instructions, without any install errors (you may want to add in the ibay creation step that "local, no password required" for internet access)

However, when trying to access smeserver/backup, after authenticating, I get the following error in the browser:

Can't locate BackupPC/Lib.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/backuppc/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin line 54.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2006, 03:38:37 PM »
Well, looks like you have modified the ibay after the installation. This cause the different permissions to be changed. Go in the server-manager->backuppc->reset the permission and it should be ok.

I don't see the problem in the how-to, there's an image wich shows that the ibay must have ftp/web access on local network with no password

Anyway, thanks for testing. I'm trying hard to make it stable and to provide it as an rpm with the time I got. Your help is very apreciated

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2006, 07:17:16 AM »
Resetting permissions from the server-manager page seems to have done it.  Thanks.

Testing a full backup of 127.0.0.1 using your defaults now.

How would we set backuppc to a disaster recovery point of view following SMEServer's philosophy of backing up only datafiles and e-smith config stuff so that a restore would take place after reinstalling the OS (and the backuppc contrib).

Merci beaucoup for all this work.  Really looking forward to getting it working for multiple hosts (laptops) and doing a remote rsynch of some key stuff.

-JL

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »
Well, as my default configuration for the localhost save all the server, you can restor what ever you want. I'm discovering SME server for only a few months so, I don't know exactly but according to darell may's contrib (backup2), only these files and directorys are necessary:

/etc/e-smith/templates-custom
/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom
/etc/group
/etc/gshadow
/etc/passwd
/etc/samba/secrets.tdb
/etc/samba/smbpasswd
/etc/shadow
/etc/smbpasswd
/etc/ssh
/etc/sudoers
/home/e-smith
/opt
/root
/var/cache/yum

You can change the default configuration files or you can let it and select only these files for restoration after a crash. Anyway, you should use a dedicated hard drive for the ibay and even export the data to an offsite server for a strong backup solution.

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
Agreed.  I'm just focusing now on getting some good backups to work without screwing up with looping... (including the backups and /mnt dirs in the backup...).

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
Oups, I've just saw an error in the archive v1.2. Those how have downloaded it before the 04/08/06 should run these commands to repair it:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/cron.d
mv /etc/cron.d/export_backuppc /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/cron.d

Without it, the export of the data won't work because I stupidly install the template in the wrong directory :/

Those how download the archive after the 04/08/06 shouldn't be concerned.

Once again sorry for this stupid mistake, please try the feature and repport your comment