Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-backuppc

icpix

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 03:59:10 PM »
VIP-ire----
Have filed a Bug Report for the developers...
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1526
...think I should've done that much earlier but I had
thought that the issue was just me doing it all wrong;~/
Hopefully they can shed some light on it for me,
sorry to have diluted your backuppc thread.
When the login issue is resolved I will rejoin you as I think
your contribution is exactly what I need here on my site;~)
----best wishes, Robert

icpix

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 11:43:47 AM »
The developers fixed the login (usern/passw) issue;~)

icpix

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 12:17:42 PM »
VIP-ire----

I keep trying to call up the admin page for the test SME7 box's backuppc but the browser always shows the contents of the production SME6 Primary iBay.

The SME7 is using an old spare top level domain name that used to be on the SME6. Yes, that name is removed from SME6 and, yes, I have pressed the browser's reset cache and its Ctrl-F5.

Alternatively do you have knowledge as to what I should properly call my test SME7 box? At the moment is has a completely different domain name to that of the the production SME6. Should it be a variation of the SME6's domain name or completely different?

I am confused as I don't have much knowledge how to run multiple servers.

----best wishes, Robert

icpix

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:20 PM »
VIP-ire----

Uninstalled backuppc and the panel contribs.
Removed the user <backuppc>.
Removed the group <backups>.
Removed the iBay <backup>.

Installed backuppc...
[root@teri smeserver-backuppc2.1.2]# sh install
installation des dependances
warning: ./perl-Archive-Zip-1.09-1.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID de770456
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:perl-Compress-Zlib     ########################################### [ 33%]
   2:perl-Archive-Zip       ########################################### [ 67%]
   3:perl-File-RsyncP       ########################################### [100%]
copie des repertoires
preparation du script de demarrage
mise en place du template pour l'authentification de l'interface CGI
Restarting httpd-e-smith                                   [  OK  ]
demarrage du service backuppc
Starting BackupPC:                                         [  OK  ]
bonne utilisation de ce logiciel
pour des remarques, des rapports de bugs ou des suggestions pour cette contribution
contactez moi: pirificateur/at/hotmail/d o t/com
[root@teri smeserver-backuppc2.1.2]#

*Still* unable to access the admin area over my intranet using
http://mydomain.co.uk/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin
Tried using the local IP intranet address
http://10.0.0.10/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin
then supplied username/password
after which the browser showed this issue:

Software error:
Can't locate BackupPC/Lib.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/backuppc/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin line 54.

Later I installed the panel contrib.
Also I ran the yum thing and the wget with the two signal-events.

Further forward, yes... but not by much;~/

----best wishes, Robert

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2006, 03:15:49 AM »
icpix

I installed backuppc and all works well ... did you follow the instructions to the T.

Regards,

Tib

icpix

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2006, 09:29:50 AM »
Tib---- To the very Tee (in caps);~| I'm going to try switching from serveronly to that odd-looking privateserver option. If that doesn't assist matters I will unhook all the hardware RAID5 file library and install RC2 from new ie NOT inherit RC1 stuff. It takes longer to derig and unhook than install from new (just over 2mins IRC). ----best wishes, Robert

postedit: privateservergateway no better, I'm going to start again from new

icpix

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2006, 02:52:01 AM »
VIP-ire/Tib----

Have just finished the re-install of SME7rc2 from scratch ie the ISO and after removing my hardware RAID5 file library.

The 'delay' was having to do some maintainance to upgrade local cooling for the new server. These Xeon things seem to be regular hotwater bottles and down here in the southwest the weather is warming up some.

To a stock SME7rc2 I added the <backuppc> contrib and eventually managed to reach its admin area. To assist those that follow then the first login panel (in French) needs SME7's <admin> username/password and the next login panel needs the <backup> (ie iBay not user) username/password.

I later installed the <panel> contrib. To assist those that follow the seemingly inexplicable jump into French language is cured by hitting the server-manager's backuppc panel's option for config|CGI interface|Language|En(glish).

Still having difficulty reaching the backuppc admin area via the stated...
http://mydomain.co.uk/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin
...browser route but I think my production SME6 servergateway is doing something or at least 'getting in the way'. I have successfully reached the backuppc admin area via...
http://10.0.0.91/backup/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin
...ie by using its intranet IP address.

I have almost no immediate idea exactly how I might drive <BackupPC> but the documentation looks extensive and I am sure this will be of the utmost help in my education. This contrib has the hallmarks of being exactly what I need for ergonomic (ie intelligent) intranet rsync'ing and for structured backup runs. Lots of reading expected.

My sincere thanks VIP-ire;~)

----best wishes, Robert

icpix

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2006, 02:42:12 PM »
VIP-ire----
Bit of a problem though one largely of my own making. I put the wrong characters into the Add Hosts, now it won't let me delete my bad entry;~/ Searching around I found the bad characters line appended to files/conf/hosts and removed the line. There is no corresponding directory for it as it didn't work in the first place. However it all stays in the server-manager panel as a line in the 'Current list of backup jobs: ' table area. There is no user entered and neither the 'modify' or the 'delete' linkers work. I keep getting a 'software error' announced. Elsewhere in the notes I found...
kill -HUP BackupPC_pid
...but don't know if that is the right sort of thing to do (what is the pid number?). There was some other information that told me that the config and hosts are read at various times, one of them being after...
/etc/init.d/backuppc reload
...which I did but the bad line remains as a backup job in the current list;~|
Is there something I can do to fix or be allowed to remove my bad line?
----best wishes, Robert

icpix

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »
VIP-ire----
Working my way through the documentation and my education;~)
Getting not found for File::RsyncP, have downloaded it and run as instructed.
What is 'gcc'...?

----------------------
[root@teri backuppc]# cd File-RsyncP-0.52
[root@teri File-RsyncP-0.52]# perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for File::RsyncP::Digest
Writing Makefile for File::RsyncP::FileList
Writing Makefile for File::RsyncP
[root@teri File-RsyncP-0.52]# make
cp lib/File/RsyncP/FileIO.pm blib/lib/File/RsyncP/FileIO.pm
cp lib/File/RsyncP.pm blib/lib/File/RsyncP.pm
make[1]: Entering directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/storage/files/raid5/download/__sme7/backuppc/File-RsyncP-0.52/Digest'
cp Digest.pm ../blib/lib/File/RsyncP/Digest.pm
AutoSplitting ../blib/lib/File/RsyncP/Digest.pm (../blib/lib/auto/File/RsyncP/Digest)
/usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  Digest.xs > Digest.xsc && mv Digest.xsc Digest.c
gcc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4   -DVERSION=\"0.52\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.52\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DPERL_BYTEORDER=1234 Digest.c
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make[1]: *** [Digest.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/storage/files/raid5/download/__sme7/backuppc/File-RsyncP-0.52/Digest'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
[root@teri File-RsyncP-0.52]# make test
make[1]: Entering directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/storage/files/raid5/download/__sme7/backuppc/File-RsyncP-0.52/Digest'
gcc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4   -DVERSION=\"0.52\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.52\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DPERL_BYTEORDER=1234 Digest.c
make[1]: Leaving directory /home/e-smith/files/ibays/storage/files/raid5/download/__sme7/backuppc/File-RsyncP-0.52/Digest'
[root@teri File-RsyncP-0.52]# make install
[root@teri File-RsyncP-0.52]#
----------------------

...and any idea how to fix this 'gcc', I've not much experience with compiling.

----best wishes, Robert

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »
Quote from: "icpix"
...and any idea how to fix this 'gcc', I've not much experience with compiling.

----best wishes, Robert
I believe there are RPM's for this perl module: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=perl-file-rsync&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=i386. Normally the Redhat EL 4 modules should work. You can download it there and issue the following command from the command line:
Code: [Select]
yum localinstall /path/to/downloaded/rpmYum should normally fix all dependencies for you, although I did not test this. You might want to file a bug report about this missing dependency to the author of the backup contrib.
You can put gcc on your server, but this is not recommended as a production server should not require tools for compiling.
yum install gcc
If you have gcc on your machine the easiest way to obtain perl modules is to use the cpan client, for instance
cpan File::RsyncP
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

icpix

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 12:00:36 PM »
cactus----
That's most helpful of you, my thanks.
My SME7 box is currently 'test', a separate SME6 box is 'production'.
The SME7 is planned to be the next production server when SME7 goes gold.
However SME7 is running the site's (live) file library on hardware RAID5...
so more than a little care is needed;~) I sort of need a fully working backup
system... for which I thought the backuppc contrib would suit. However it
needs so much learning... yes I have backuppc 'installed' (finally/phew) but
no I haven't configured it successfully to do anything remotely useful. Now
I am into trying to get to grips with compiling, which is something I thought
I'd never want (or need) to learn;~/
----best wishes, Robert

icpix

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »
The rpmfind area ended up with something strange for the browser.
So, accessing directly I downloaded...
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/perl-File-RsyncP/perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm
[root@teri backuppc]# yum localinstall perl-File-RsyncP-0.52-1.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm
...and then did the two signal-event commands.
After the reboot my attempt to invoke a test backup finally worked;~)

I've stepped back from attempting to learn 'gcc' and compiling.
Think it's too far too soon for me;~/
This means I cannot continue the backuppc instructions as written,
for instance there's a patch file (.diff) and others to compile.
I'll have to see what else I can do with what is already available.

My test backup, the one that worked, isn't specifically what I needed as
the W2kPro-SP4 box has its own very capable backup (Dantz Retrospect).

What I work towards is to intelligently protect specific areas of the 2TB
hardware RAID5 in SME7 by copying (mirroring, duplicating, rsyncd'ing,
archiving, whatever) over my intranet to particular available storage
areas on available machines ie whatever capacity wherever. So my
next job is to work out how to reverse backuppc's functionality ie to
push SME7 stuff out to a number of target archives as opposed to
backing up other areas onto SME7.

The existing and admirable backup2 (ie native to SME7) seems to fall
down at this sort of functionality. It's very slow indeed and doesn't avoid
over-duplication. The SME7 backup2 iteration (as opposed to SME6's
backup) seems to have trouble scaling up, dealing with previous periodic
backups and its numbering. It's very good with the core task ie backing
up SME7 for restoration but its functionality dealing with the 2TB mounted
array doesn't seem to be so brilliant.

----best wishes, Robert

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »
Sorry for beeing away all this time.

Thanks for testing, I'm happy my work can be usefull !

icpx wrotes:
my next job is to work out how to reverse backuppc's functionality ie to push SME7 stuff out to a number of target archives as opposed to backing up other areas onto SME7

I think it's possible even if I haven't try yet, I also have something like this to do. It should work with the pre/post backup commands. You need to create a mount point for a remote file system (via smbfs, shfs, nfs, external hard disk or what ever can be mount) and then, in the per pc config file, you can define in the pre backup action to mount the remote fs, then the backup performs and the post backup command can umount the fs. But with this you lost some functionnality of backuppc that save disk space during the night.
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline mike_mattos

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »
two minor bugs noted, the link to login makes it look like the page is cgi_bin/BackupPC with a parameter Admin, since links are underlined and conceal  the '_' character in BackupPC_Admin!  

That solved, I got an error that line 54 had fatally failed

Had to loosen the permissions on /usr/share/backuppc , haven't fine tuned it yet, but the root permissions were too tight

thx

mike

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 10:58:01 AM »
ok, for the admin page, I made I little index.html that redirect to the cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin page in the latest tar.gz. With this, you just have to enter http://yourserver/backup and you acceed the admin page of backuppc. You can do this if you haven't it yet, edit the file /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/html/index.html, erase all the text and write:

<META http-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; url=cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin">

then save your file.

I also had a error line 54, it was the BackupPC_Admin cgi scrpt that hadn't the SUID bit. This script must belong to backuppc:backups with the SUID bit set in order to work.
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol: