Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

changing domain name on mail server

Offline zaker

• +0/-0
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »
My SME 6.01 mail server currently receives mail for "olddomain.com" but the powers that be want a new, easier to remember domain name. What do I need to do to have my mail server receive mail on the old domain name and "newdomain.com".

The username will be the same, just need "Username" to be able to receive mail from @olddomain.com and @newdomain.com.

Thanks
zaker

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: changing domain name on mail server
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:07:22 PM »
Quote from: "zaker"
My SME 6.01 mail server currently receives mail for "olddomain.com" but the powers that be want a new, easier to remember domain name. What do I need to do to have my mail server receive mail on the old domain name and "newdomain.com".

The username will be the same, just need "Username" to be able to receive mail from @olddomain.com and @newdomain.com.

Thanks
zaker

I think a virtual domain will be the answer to your question, you can configure this in the server manager. Click on the Domain option under the configuration header (at least for SME7).
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:45:33 PM »
Virtual domain on SME and also you would need to configure outside DNS to point MX record for your new e-mail domain to your SME server's IP.