Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Small Business server and Sme

Offline fergro

• +0/-0
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:43:34 AM »
Hi All

As crazy as this may sound I have a client who uses Small Business server and wants to keep it and put a Sme server between it and the outside world as a Firewall etc. I have suggested that we get rid of the SBS and replace it with a SME box only. However they have a inventory and estimating program that has to run on a MS server. My Question is Has anyone done this before and if so what steps do you follow to complete the task. have done a search on the forums using a mixture of keywords and can not get a match. Maybe I am in a corner with this one?

RF

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:03 PM »
Firewall is a bonus feature of SME, not the primary function. I would put a dedicated firewall-only box in front of SBS (IPCop, M0n0wall or similar).
Another popular (with my clients) scenario when they need MS Windows application server, is to use SME as a firewall, PDC, e-mail, web etc.. and install MS Windows based server as a domain member with applications running on it.

aaron

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:40:24 PM »
Yes, I have several clients using both SME & SBS 2000/2003. They have been set up as member servers providing web proxy services, webmail services, web services, antivirus/spam filtering, mail POP-er, etc etc and also as a gateway server (firewall).  

My preferred configuration for SBS clients is to put an SME between it & the internet.  

As Boris mentions you can also use other linux/bsd with SBS. I've put IPCOP & Monowall in front of a couple SBS hosts with no issues.

Your choice really depends on what protection or function(s) you wish to provide.

Offline fergro

• +0/-0
small business server and sme
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 08:56:36 PM »
To Boris and Aaron

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.  I will structure the solution around your replies and hopefully get a good outcome. Thanks again!

RF

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »
Once you done with planning, you may want to run it by this forum again, to spot potential oversighs or to get additional advices.