Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Accessing Outlook Web Access with SME 6

Suzzy027

« on: May 05, 2006, 08:43:02 AM »
Has anyone been able to bypass the SME proxy and get access to there exchange email through the Internet?  

I have tried using a program called ProxyPass which I could not get working.  Maybe I set it up wrong, I am not sure.  

Help Please.

Thanks,
S
 :-(

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »
I am able to log into my jobs outlook exchange server from behind my sme 6 server at home with no problems.  Not sure if that is what  you are asking ....
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Suzzy027

Outlook Web Access
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:43:05 AM »
Hi,

Yes that is what i am talking about.  How did you get it working?  I have my exchange box ready to allow access to OWA but I am not sure what to do from here one.  

Thanks,
S

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:21:19 AM »
Basically you are trying to connect from home going thru a sme server to your office OWA server ?
or are you trying to connect to an OWA server that is behind a sme server

I didnt do anything as far as setup goes on my end. I am using a slightly modified sme 6 on a dynamic dsl connection. I use the url my company provided that I can use on my personal computer and I log into one page that redirects me to the OWA page where I have to log in again.

Now something else you might want to keep in mind is that my job also requires that one weekend a month I am on call and I use a company provided laptop and use my internet connection to vpn into the company network.  Sometimes I cannot log in to the vpn  and everytime this happens its because I have an external ip  in  71.X.X.X range. I would still have internet access but just be unable to connect to thru my companies vpn. When I am in a 65.X.X.X range I dont have problems.

At first I could not figure out why the VPN would not work and serveral times talked to my network operations as to what was wrong with the vpn software and after a reboot and resetting my dsl modem I would be able to connect. Over the course of a year I eventually noticed that at times I could not access my sme server when I was at work. I would call home and ask the wife to check the internet by opening a webpage and the internet would work fine.  

When I checked the sme server when I would get home it would have a wierd looking external ip address (71.X.X.X range). Weird because  the normal ranges I have seen in the past were always in a 60-65.X.X.X. Now after it happened one night while I was at work I had a buddy on his cable connection connect to my web server and login to webmail with no problem when I was being told it was down.when I tried to ping the dyndns name. It was then that I determined that for some reason my company must be blocking that ip range.  So now when I can connect but my internet works I know that I need to shut the modem and sme server down for 2-5 mins and that usually I dont have anymore problems connecting.

Can others connect from home and you cant ?
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

Suzzy027

Outlook Web Access
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:40:43 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to connect to an OWA server that is behind a sme server.  I can VPN into the SME server no problems then open Outlook and it works fine but I dont want to VPN in everytime I need to use outlook. I would prefer to just jump on any pc with an internet connection browse to the outlook web page and email from there.

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:50:20 AM »
Have you tried forwarding a port thru the the sme server to your OWA server ?

Or you could thru creating a webpage on the sme server and have a link from the sme server to your OWA  ?

Im not exactly sure how it would work but someone on here must know how

Suzzy027

Outlook web access
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 03:02:10 AM »
Hi,

I have tried port forwarding on my sme box but it did not work.  I have also put a link on my website to OWA which brings up the logon page but once you put your details this page can not be displayed comes up.  Maybe someone has worked out one of these methods and can talk me through getting it working.  

Thanks  :-(

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 03:08:23 AM »
when port forwarding did you foward  both the udp and tcp when you opened the port on the sme server for the port you were using ? I played around with setting up a game server  behind my sme server about 2 years ago and that was what gave me the most trouble.

Suzzy027

Outlook Web Access
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 03:15:25 AM »
Hi,

I port forwarded 443 and 8080.  Are they the right ports?

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 03:24:21 AM »
Im not sure what ports you will need but when you forwarded the  ports you have to select what type of packets gets forwarded ... I vaguely remember thier being a drop down box that allows you to select what type(its been 2 years since I played with port forwarding). The options are udp and tcp.  I recommend you setting it to forward both types then after you get it working figure out if you need both types forwarded.

Suzzy027

Outlook web access
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:33:00 AM »
Hi,

I can do that no problems but when your typing in your internet address yourdomainname.com/exchange how does your SME box know to forward /exchange to OWA?  There must be a set I am missing.

Thanks

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 03:45:35 AM »
when you set up the portforwarding you need to include the ip address of the machine you want the port forwarded to.

example lets say your sme website is

hhhhh.com

you want certain ports forwarded to a system behind the sme server so anytime someone hits say port 8181 it forwards to the other machine. so to hit the other server they would put the following in thier web browser

hhhhh.com:8181  

when you set up the port forwarding you would put in all traffic (udp and tcp) coming in on port 8181 gets sent to the internal ip address of the server you want them to access.

Suzzy027

outlook web access
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:47 AM »
Hi,

This is what I have done in Port Forwarding:
Protocol TCP Source port 8080 Desitination IP 192.168.0.2 Destination port 8080
Protocol TCP Source port 443 Desitination IP 192.168.0.2 Destination port 443
Protocol UDP Source port 8080 Desitination IP 192.168.0.2 Destination port 8080
Protocol UDP Source port 443 Desitination IP 192.168.0.2 Destination port 443

Then I type http://www.domainname.com/443 and page can not be displayed comes up.

Is there something else I am missing?

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:11 AM »
what ports is the owa set to ?  if it is coming up blank then is sounds you might not be forwarding  to the correct ports on the OWA server.  

I would say you might want to do a google search OWA Setup +router and find out what would have to be done to get it working behind a router then using that information.  

When I was setting up my game server it took me awhile get the ports stuff correct so that it could be seen outside my network. Because the system  required several ports in a certain range. You will need to find out what ports the OWA is running on and what ports need to be forwarded.

Offline funkusmunkus

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 06:28:21 AM »
you need to type https://domainname.com/exchange
or https://domainname.com/remote
you need the S, so it used port 443

hope that helps
cheers