Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Not receiving mail

Offline briank

• +0/-0
Not receiving mail
« on: April 30, 2006, 03:15:58 PM »
Hi - fresh install of 7.0rc2. Not receiving mail but can telnet from internet to my server on port 25 so it seems server is listening but rejecting mail. Where to start debugging please. I can't find anything useful in the logs.
Regards
Brian

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Not receiving mail
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »
Quote from: "briank"
Hi - fresh install of 7.0rc2. Not receiving mail but can telnet from internet to my server on port 25 so it seems server is listening but rejecting mail. Where to start debugging please. I can't find anything useful in the logs.
Regards
Brian
Is that from the putside (WAN side) or the local network (LAN side)? Were you able to run a mailserver in the past?

Most of the times providers don't want there users to have there own mailservers configured and don't accept communictaion to port 25 on there domain to other servers than their own maillservers. This is done as a security measure to prevent spam servers.

However if you have access to the DNS entries for your domain you can set up the mailserver of your provider as a mailrelay so your won mailserver receives all e-mail via the mailrelay server.

It simply works like this: mail which is for a user at your domain is to be delivered at your domain, but your mailserver is not accessible/vissible for other mail servers. The backup server (mailrelay server of your provider) however is, so mail is delivered there. The mailrelay server of your provider is able to see your server and is able to deliver the e-mail that is for users at your domain.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline briank

• +0/-0
Not receiving mail
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »
Thanks cactus - I have run a mail server here for years and as far as I can see the new 7.0 is configured exactly as the working v6. I can telnet from the internet (WAN) by remote desktopping to an external server and using it to telnet. The sme7 also wont port forward 25 to an internal server which was something else I tried.
Regards
Brian

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
Not receiving mail
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:37:10 PM »
Thanks cactus - I have run a mail server here for years and as far as I can see the new 7.0 is configured exactly as the working v6. I can telnet from the internet (WAN) by remote desktopping to an external server and using it to telnet. The sme7 also wont port forward 25 to an internal server which was something else I tried.
Regards
Brian
I guess it will be an issue for the bugtracker then. Please report it there so people can help you and the problem is documented at the proper place and all tests, results and solutions are recorded properly and in the right place.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline briank

• +0/-0
Not receiving mail
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:50:20 PM »
Thanks cactus - I just couldn't see it was a bug - other peoples V7 must receive mail :)
Cheers
Brian

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
Not receiving mail
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:03:33 PM »
Thanks cactus - I just couldn't see it was a bug - other peoples V7 must receive mail :)
Cheers
Brian
I don't understand either as I receive my mail through my mailrelay server on my SMEServer 7RC1, but issues like this should be dsicussed in the bugtracker, so a trackrecord can be kept. If it turns out is it not a bug, we can simply mark it as not a bug :-)