Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

unwired.com.au; some sites not accessable

Offline commanda

• +0/-0
    • http://swafl.org (not smeserver)
unwired.com.au; some sites not accessable
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:49:26 AM »
I have recently moved from ADSL (tpg.com.au) to unwired wireless (unwired.com.au). Other than enabling PPPoE, and editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to set BOOTPROTO=dhcp & ONBOOT=yes to get the thing to work at all, nothing else has changed.

I now find I can't access a number of websites, which I could previously. Among these is msn-messenger (don't blame me, the kids insist on it), ebay.com.au myaccount, hotmail, westpac online banking, and I'm sure many others I haven't discovered yet.

I found a reference on whirlpool forums about msn-messenger needing to have the MTU set to 1456 or 1440. I tried connecting the unwired modem directly to a windows machine, installing Dr.TCP(.exe), and setting the MTU to 1500 (same as the SME server) to try & replicate the problem, with no success.

Does anybody have any experience with getting SME 6.x to work correctly with unwired.

I might add this setup worked perfectly for several years with adsl before the move to unwired. I also have two other SME installations in remote parts of Australia running adsl perfectly.

Amanda

EDIT:
searching through the log files, it appears it's not authenticating; repeated attempts to connect ending with CHAP failure.

EDIT #2:
Figured out unwired don't use PPPoE. Just set it to DHCP (send username).

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: unwired.com.au; some sites not accessable
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:35:10 PM »
Quote from: "commanda"
I have recently moved from ADSL (tpg.com.au) to unwired wireless (unwired.com.au). Other than enabling PPPoE, and editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to set BOOTPROTO=dhcp & ONBOOT=yes to get the thing to work at all, nothing else has changed.

What you've described doing doesn't make any sense at all. The file you have edited is templated, so any hand changes will be lost at some time in the future. Having PPPoE enabled and having BOOTPROTO=dhcp are mutually exclusive.