Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

MySQL 5 doesn't start automatically at boot time

ralphch

« on: April 09, 2006, 01:55:46 AM »
Hi,

I just installed MySQL 5 on my SME Server 7 and it's no longer starting automatically when I boot the system. At first, running "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start" from the command line wouldn't work either, but then I changed the user to "root" in the "/etc/my.cnf" file and it's working now.

But I still can't get it to start the MySQL server automatically when booting. Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:25:19 AM »
You can't "just install" MySQL5, it is not a straight upgrade.

Read this thread, ALL OF IT!!!

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=31387.0
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

ralphch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 05:19:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I read that post but it doesn't explain how to install MySQL 5, and that's the version that I need. All I need to know is what script I should adjust in order to have it start correctly, I'm guessing S50mysqld or the supervise script. Please note that if I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start, it starts correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

ralphch

Update
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »
I made some changes to the /service/mysqld/run file and now MySQL 5 starts automatically upon boot. The "service mysqld" commands work correctly as well.

Do you think this is an alright solution?

Thanks,
Ralph

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »
If you read that post pfloor posted then you will see that installing mysql5 will almost definatly break the server on upgrade...

Why would you need to upgrade to version 5? SME is keeping in base with Centos & RHEL
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: MySQL 5 doesn't start automatically at boot time
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »
Quote from: "ralphch"

I just installed MySQL 5 on my SME Server 7 ...

Your post is in the wrong forum. Please use the Contribs forum to discuss modifications.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 09:00:26 PM »
Topic moved to SME 7.X Contribs.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Re: Update
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:55:47 PM »
Quote from: "ralphch"
I made some changes to the /service/mysqld/run file and now MySQL 5 starts automatically upon boot. The "service mysqld" commands work correctly as well.

Do you think this is an alright solution?

No, not at all.  You don't want to change any files that are owned by an rpm.

[root@sme7 ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides /service/mysqld/run
e-smith-mysql-1.12.0-01

I can tell that you've not installed the right mysql5 rpms.  If you tell me why you need mysql5 I will tell you how to install it properly.

ralphch

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 04:48:41 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I need MySQL because this is a requirement for a Java application that will be set up. As much as you, and I, may like MySQL 4, this is just not an option for the project I've got to set up. I would really appreciate having some guidance then on how to set it up properly. I haven't found any SME specific RPMs, so I'm guessing that it's not so wrong to use the RPMs for RedHat.

Thanks again,
Ralph

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
What Java application? Is the application open-source?

ralphch

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:15:48 PM »
I don't know what Java application it is, since it's not my job to set it up. I just had to get MySQL 5 up and running. It is working just fine now though, even starts as an SME service.

Regards,
Ralph