Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

disable email delete

dennyhalim

disable email delete
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:47:59 AM »
steal the gmail idea: never need to delete your mail.

is there a way i can prevent user delete their email either by webmail/pop/imap??
so that all their mail stay archived in the server and can never deleted.

even those marked spam will required admin access to delete.

is it possible??

tia
dny

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: disable email delete
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:26:39 PM »
Quote from: "dennyhalim"
steal the gmail idea: never need to delete your mail.
dny

But you can still delete email's from gmail, they only said "never need to delete you mail" is because they have a huge 2GB email service so there's no need to delete email's
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline andy_wismer

• +0/-0
    • ANWI-Net
GMail vs. SME
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
Hello

In case you guy's didn't realise it, but a User can't delete mail from GMail. It's just flagged as deleted and not displayed by the GUI.

GMail has to deliver all Mail, even deleted Mails, to the US Authorities if required.

They'll even give your confidential, deleted mails to the chinese, if asked.

Our Swiss Lay requires Providers (But not Companies running their own mailservers) to store the mail-headers for half a year, in case the authorities requires them. But not the mails themselves.

Unfortunately, scanning all the cra. in mails keeps the authorities from actually looking for Terrorists...

So much for GMail.

If you want a free lunch, you aren't in a position to complain...
Open-Source I don't consider a free lunch, you don't bitch about something, make it better and return it to the comunity.

Regards

Andy Wismer

cristi3k

disable email delete
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:27:15 AM »
U have to modify the PHP scripts from the mail ... software in that way where its say "delete form database" to flag as deleted and the gui part to not read those messages.
PS: Escuse for my poor english, My ideea was: It is possibile to do that, I just dont see the point to do it.

Offline andy_wismer

• +0/-0
    • ANWI-Net
Permanent Mail Log for security / auditing reasons
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »
Hello Guys

For those who need a permanent archive of mails - maybe due to company policies or legal reasons - the idea is NOT to ruin a working mail-system.

Have the mail system send permanent copies of incoming mails to a "shadow" account. Eg.:

Incoming mail > user1
Incoming mail > shadow-user1

Users don't have access to the shadow mailbox, which of corse has a different password. Even better and more professional would be having this stuff on a second - secured - server.

You can also use something like this for outgoing mail too...

SME Server sends with SMTP to "Outgoing-Mail-Server", which actually does a copy of all outgoing stuff and stores this somewhere, while the outgoing mail is passed on to the internet and it's destination.

This way you get to keep copies of ALL incoming, outgoing and In-House mails, the last are under incoming at the reciepients side.

Regards
Andy Wismer