Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Would redundant links be possible.

Offline Arnie

• +0/-0
  • Old Dog, New Tricks.
Would redundant links be possible.
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
I have often thought that the option to automatically bring up a dial-up/ISDN link when the main WAN link goes down would be an excellent addition to SME. I have search though the forums to see if anyone has achieved this feat but have had no luck.

I use a feature of Cisco's IOS on the routers at work called "Dialer-Watch", which monitors a specified route. When that route becomes unreachable, it brings up an ISDN interface as a backup/failover link. Monitoring the route overcomes the problem of not having the physical WAN interface going down when the WAN link goes down, for instance, when you have an NTU connected to a FastEthernet interface. Even when the WAN link goes down, the FastEthernet is still up because it is receiving a carrier from the NTU. Traditional Cisco link redundancy fails in this instance because the interface does not go down.

Would this be possible on SME?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Would redundant links be possible.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »
Quote from: "Arnie"

Would this be possible on SME?

Pretty much anything which is possible with linux is possible with SME. The correct question to ask is "Is it simple enough that someone cares enough to do it, or to pay for someone to do it?"