Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"...connection was refused" in IMAP

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
    • http://www.joshua-wopr.com
« on: March 24, 2006, 02:43:52 AM »
I ran a routine software-update on SME Server 7.0pre4 last night, came back several hours later (i.e. around midday today) and issued a reboot command (both from the web interface) for good measure...

Now, every time I try to access my IMAP mailboxes on the server, I get:
Code: [Select]
Could not connect to mail server blahblah, the connection was refused.
I have made no changes, other than the routine software update, on the server, and have made no changes on the mailreader either.

I am using Thunderbird on Windows XP Pro, and have it set to access via SSL.  If I change it to "Use TLS if available" I get
Mail server blahblah is not an IMAP4 mail server.which is the error I was sometimes getting, at random, before I switched TBird to using SSL.

From another machine on my LAN, I get the same error.

Again, I have made no changes to either SME Server or to Thunderbird, other than the above.

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 02:58:29 AM »
NomadOfNorad

Did you do a post-update before the reboot ... maybe it's still waiting for a few update to finish.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Tib

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 05:02:02 AM »
Post update?  What's that?

Anyway, the software-update was performed at perhaps midnight or 1am, and left to do its thing.  The browser-based interface eventually gave me an error message, which I wish I had written down now.  Something about some item or other having timed out.  I could still see disk activity going on for some while, though, on the server, so I figured it was still doing the update.  For some while I periodically switched the KVM switch over to the server to watch for the machine to do its expected automatic reboot at the end of the update, but it hadn't done it yet by the time I headed to bed at around 2:30 am.

Today at perhaps 11am or noon, I checked the machine again, via the KVM switch, and it clearly hadn't restarted itself, so I pulled up the web-interface from the Windows machine and issued a restart, then sat back and watched, through the KVM switch, the machine go through its shutdown and restart process.

I then left to do other things.  This evening I finally came back, went to check my email... and discovered I couldn't get it to work.

Now, so far as I know, SME would NOT have taken many, many hours to finish it's software update.  So far as I know, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two.  Certainly not half a day!

In any event, the interface-page that displays any updates are ready now shows there being no updates.  And, IIRC, did so last night after I'd initiated the update.

Oh yes, and curuously enough, if I try to use Horde, the server's email web-interface, I get Login failed.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:21:43 AM »
NomadOfNorad

> Post update?  What's that?

After any software upgrade using the software installer or yum, you need to run
signal-event post-upgrade
then
signal-event reboot

If you don't do this your server is in some unknown state and that's why it's probably not working correctly.

You should always make note of any error messages, we can't guess what they are so we can't help you.

As you seem to have had some download or upgrade ?? error, then after doing the post-upgrade & reboot mentioned above I would run yum update again to see if there are any more packages to be installed and/or check using the software installer panel.

See doucmentation re upgrading at contribs.org

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:13:47 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
NomadOfNorad

> Post update?  What's that?

After any software upgrade using the software installer or yum, you need to run
signal-event post-upgrade
then
signal-event reboot

And this would be accomplished in the Server Manager web-interface exactly how?

Or is this something I must do from the shell while signed in as root?

If you don't do this your server is in some unknown state and that's why it's probably not working correctly.

You should always make note of any error messages, we can't guess what they are so we can't help you.

As you seem to have had some download or upgrade ?? error, then after doing the post-upgrade & reboot mentioned above I would run yum update again to see if there are any more packages to be installed and/or check using the software installer panel.

Well, when I go to the software installer panel, I see:
Software installer
      -------------------------------------------------------------
   Check for updates daily Enabled
Manage individual packages Disabled
[Change software installer settings]

i.e. there's nothing I can press to initiate a new software-update, or anything.  Not until some new updates arrive in the background...

See doucmentation re upgrading at contribs.org

Entered "upgrading" into the "Search Site:"  field at the top of the page here at Contribs.org, and didn't see anything particularly illuminating.  Was there a specific article here you had in mind?

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »
NomadOfNorad

>> signal-event post-upgrade
>> signal-event reboot[/quote]

>..is this something I must do from the shell while signed in as root?

Yes

There is also a reconfigure option on the shutdown/reboot panel, I'm not sure if that does the same function but I "think" it may. Perhaps a developer or knowledgable user could confirm.

> ...Not until some new updates arrive in the background...

That's correct, that's how it works. If there are updates available then they will be displayed after clicking on software installer.

>...Was there a specific article here you had in mind

Look at the links on the left, select Development, and go to the bottom of the page (as the sme7 is still in development stage).

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 08:58:02 AM »
NomadOfNorad

>..There is also a reconfigure option on the shutdown/reboot panel, I'm not sure if that does the same function but I "think" it may.

I just checked, it does perform the post-upgrade and reboot steps.

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:51 AM »
Quote from: "RayMitchell"
NomadOfNorad

>..There is also a reconfigure option on the shutdown/reboot panel, I'm not sure if that does the same function but I "think" it may.

I just checked, it does perform the post-upgrade and reboot steps.

You are right Ray the reconfigure option does send the signal-event post-upgrade followed by signal-event reboot
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »
Well, I initiated a post-upgrade reconfigure (or whatever it was called) from that manu a few moments ago, and just got:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request POST /server-manager/cgi-bin/reboot.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Which is odd, because I don't have proxy service turned on...  :-?

I can hear the disk chattering away, though, like the system is still doing a buncha stuff...

----addendum:

Well, I just flipped the KVM switch over to the machine and back again, and it musta rebooted because now I'm looking at the login: prompt there.  Firing up TBird now...

[rustle rustle rustle]

Okay, things seem to be working once more. I can get to my email again...   :-D