Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Squid - WWW-Authenticate header or something

userx

Squid - WWW-Authenticate header or something
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »
Hi all hope you can help,

The problem im facing is when I want to log on to the server in UK to access the site, it should prompt me with a UserName and Password, instead it says "You are not authorized to view this page" with a 401.2 Error.

The thing is when the proxy is bypassed it is fine the site works as usual. Doing some research apparently this seems to be a known issue with transparent caching proxy servers like squid due to the way Microsoft implemented their authentation. Something to do with the WWW-Authenticate header and Interent Explorer doesnt reconise them.

I tried Downloading different browsers and Mozilla brought up the login prompt but kept asking to enter my details also the site that i want to get to has javascript with doesnt work with that browser and others based on firefox.

What i was after is a solution to fix the squid issue, i've heard of others having the same problem but I havent been able to find a solution as yet. Hopefully there are some smarter ppl out there than me to figure it out even if its somehow allowing that one site to work.
I know you might say just bypass the proxy for everyone, but we have quite a few offices that VPN to our network and its not that simple.

Anyway, please help me out
Thanks a lot!