Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Help with user file directory Please...

asys

Help with user file directory Please...
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:39:58 AM »
I have switched to the SME Server as our Open BSD server hard drive is crashing. I copied all the files from the old server to the new SME Server. I have created all the users/passwords/groups and I bays (drives). Everthing works great everyone can see all the shared drives and see and open all files and folders on the shared drives (I bays). But when it comes to their own file directory which was created when you create the user.
With their own file directories they can see all of their files and folders but when they try and access these folders ( they get access denied) and when the try to open a word document they get
"The document name or path is not valid.
 Try these suggestions.
*check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*use the file open dialog box to locate the document. (h:\client info.doc)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Help with user file directory Please...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:13:59 AM »
Quote from: "asys"
With their own file directories they can see all of their files and folders but when they try and access these folders ( they get access denied) and when the try to open a word document they get
"The document name or path is not valid.
 Try these suggestions.
*check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*use the file open dialog box to locate the document. (h:\client info.doc)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Did you copy the files in with the option to keep their ownership and permissions? These permisisons and rights might be different on your OpenBSD server.

Did you copy the files there after creating the ibays by server-manager or did you manually create the folders using the shell?

Maybe it helps to signal the ibay-create or ibay-modify event again as I thought it applied the permissions again (but as I have no access to my SME server at the moment I can not check this for you).

Jonathan
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

asys

Thanks got it
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:10:31 PM »
Yes I did everything right, but when I copied all the drives from my computer they worked fine but when i copied the users files from one server to the other I did it from my computer not the users computer. I recopied all files from the users computer all all is fine now, carriing their permissions.

Thanks again all is fine in the world again.............for now