Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Lock users in specific directories

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« on: March 10, 2006, 12:16:25 AM »
I just upgraded from 5.6 to 6.0.1 a few weeks ago and need to know if the chroot ftp that works on 5.6  works with 6.0.1 or if an updated version has been created.

On 5.6 I kept certain users locked in thier home directories and other users locked to a specific ibay. Basically some users use my system to backup thier data before formating or just for the peice of mind that thier is a backup on my server if something goes wrong with thier computer or that they have access to certain files when they are not at home. Other users I keep locked in a ibay that allows them to share common files that they all use/need.

Plus some of the users dont quite understand how to navigate the directory structure via ftp so its better to lock them in one directory and they are seem to do better.

Be nice if this came standard in the software as it is sort of a security risk to allow users to be able to log in via ftp and go every where on the server in my opinion.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Lock users in specific directories
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:09:25 AM »
Quote from: "beakersloco"

Be nice if this came standard in the software as it is sort of a security risk to allow users to be able to log in via ftp and go every where on the server in my opinion.

Please raise a New Feature Request in SME Server Future in the bug tracker.

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:12:04 PM »
There's a contrib from Dungog that does exactly that, works for SSH and FTP.