Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

5.7 - 7 & (possibly) new hardware - best route?

Offline HenryH

• +0/-0
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:29:08 AM »
We have a 5.6 version and hope to upgrade soon.  I am thinking of going straight to 7 but as we are considering new server hardware as well I was wondering if it is thought to be preferable to:

1.   migrate the eisteing 5.6 to the new hardware and then upgrade the 5.6 to 7?

2.   up-grade the 5.6 to 7 on the existing hardware and then migrate to the new hardware?

3.   Do a fresh install of 7 on the new hardware and then restore the 5.6 data & users to this?

Any & all thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: 5.7 - 7 & (possibly) new hardware - best route?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:10 AM »
Quote from: "HenryH"
We have a 5.6 version and hope to upgrade soon.  I am thinking of going straight to 7 but as we are considering new server hardware as well I was wondering if it is thought to be preferable to:

1.   migrate the eisteing 5.6 to the new hardware and then upgrade the 5.6 to 7?

There's a significant chance that 5.6 won't run on your new hardware.

2.   up-grade the 5.6 to 7 on the existing hardware and then migrate to the new hardware?

3.   Do a fresh install of 7 on the new hardware and then restore the 5.6 data & users to this?

Either 2 or 3 should work, if you are sure you have a working backup/restore process.
3 would allow you to upgrade the main system disk.

robw

5.5 migration to 7.0RC1
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »
Hi,

I have a 5.5 server which has served long and faithfully. I now want to upgrade and am looking at installing 7.0RC1 on new hardware and then restoring a backup of the 5.5 server onto it. Is this OK/possible?

Also is SATA RAID supported in 7.0RC1?

Thanks heaps for any responses

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: 5.5 migration to 7.0RC1
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »
Quote from: "robw"
Hi,

I have a 5.5 server which has served long and faithfully. I now want to upgrade and am looking at installing 7.0RC1 on new hardware and then restoring a backup of the 5.5 server onto it. Is this OK/possible?

Also is SATA RAID supported in 7.0RC1?

Thanks heaps for any responses

Why not upgrade to the latest release candidate: 7.0RC2?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

robw

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »
Good question Cactus, didn't know it existed. But my previous questions still stand. Anyone know the answers?

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:31:45 AM »
Other postings I have seen on this topic point to a 5.6->6.01->7.0rc2 process. It is also advised to make shure you have good backups of all data. I have done the 6.01 to 7.0rc2 per the upgrade method posted in the 7.0 server forum. I distilled it a little from bugzilla. The only snags I ran into were differences in nics, but diong a reconfigure through the admin terminal fixed that.

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

robw

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:45:55 AM »
a couple of questions on this... Firstly, I want to restore a 5.5 backup onto a new 7.0 server. Will this work or do I need to go to 5.6 and then 6.0 first?

Also, I have downloaded the 7.0RC1 image but can not find a 7.0RC2 image. I one available?

Thanks heaps

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »
Also, I have downloaded the 7.0RC1 image but can not find a 7.0RC2 image. I one available?

On the default mirror it is definitely there: http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/releases/7/iso/

BTW the smeserver.iso file always is the latest release and is the same as the one with the highest release version in the list (at this moment 7.0RC2).
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

robw

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »
I now have the 7.0RC2 image, thanks cactus. Still have the questions about restoring a 5.5 backup.tgz file and using SATA RAID. Please note I don't want to actually upgrade, but build a new server and restore. Many thanks

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 06:50:55 AM »
I now have the 7.0RC2 image, thanks cactus. Still have the questions about restoring a 5.5 backup.tgz file and using SATA RAID. Please note I don't want to actually upgrade, but build a new server and restore. Many thanks

A 5.x backup should restore correctly.

See this thread for discussions on SATA RAID:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=31163.0