Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Question on the SME Server Manager..Yes or NO

asys

« on: March 07, 2006, 12:38:38 AM »
We have a OpenBSD Server as our primary server and a SME Server as a secondary but soon to become the Primary server. Once the SME server becomes the primary server what should this be set to on the Server manager for this question see below . Right now it is set to NO. Should this be changed one the SME server becomes the primary. We only use the SME Server as a file server as our email and web site site are on an off site server.

Question on the SME Server Manager

"Should this server act as the workgroup and domain controller on your Windows network? You should leave this set to No if another server is already performing this role on your network."

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:58:46 AM »
If SME is the ONLY file server on your network, You can switch this to YES.
If you have Windows PDC or your OpenBSD/Samba is acting as PDC and workstations configured as DOMAIN (not Workgroup) members, you will need much more to do that just change NO/YES switch.
Post more details on how your servers are configured if you need more detailed advice, relevant sections of smb.conf from both servers might help to find out the current configuration of your environment.

asys

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:05:05 PM »
The plan for the file server only is pull out the OpenBSD Server and have only the SME Server as the only server. So do I change it to a "YES". We are only using it in a WORKGROUP situation not a DOMAIN.
So would I set that switch to Yes or NO.......I thank you for you help much appriciated....

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:54:50 PM »
In this case it will work either way, but switching to YES may give you a better netbios name resolution and faster, more reliable network browsing on the LAN.